Talk

Advanced search

To ask if cobra burgers are safe to eat?

(26 Posts)
hellokittymania Mon 03-Apr-17 15:58:51

I know that with a Japanese fish, it has to be cooked properly or it will poison you. But what about cobras I just saw something about an Indonesian restaurant serving cobra burgers and it got me thinking. I don't think I would be brave enough to try one of these. How do they remove the venom

hellokittymania Mon 03-Apr-17 15:59:38

Fugu I think is the Japanese fish name.

squashyhat Mon 03-Apr-17 16:00:32

Why on earth would you want to?

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Mon 03-Apr-17 16:00:38

Quite a niche burger, I must say.

peaceloveandbiscuits Mon 03-Apr-17 16:00:56

The venom isn't in the flesh, they have little sacs of it.

willconcern Mon 03-Apr-17 16:02:46

www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/the-nutrition-of-snake.html

Apparently because the venom has to be injected into the bloodstream, it'seems OK to eathe without fear of poisoning.

BorpBorpBorp Mon 03-Apr-17 16:03:18

Fugu have their toxin in multiple different organs, so it is harder to remove without contaminating the rest of the fish. With cobras, the venom is in sacs in the mouth, so you just whollop the head off.

hellokittymania Mon 03-Apr-17 16:03:30

Squatshy, it's a popular thing in some places. Some places sell cobra or scorpion wine and things as well.

ShatnersBassoon Mon 03-Apr-17 16:03:34

Yes they'll be safe to eat, assuming they don't put the head in its entirety in there (which is the poisonous end I think).

elephantoverthehill Mon 03-Apr-17 16:05:41

Will the cobra be dead? Otherwise I don't think it would be very safe.

BarbarianMum Mon 03-Apr-17 16:05:53

1. Snake meat is not generally cruelty free.
2. Not tried it myself but it's generally reputed to taste like shit. Sort of thing people eat because they think it will improve their virility or because they are stupid tourists.

The venom is held in venom sacks behind the fangs. Remove those and it's safe to eat.

hellokittymania Mon 03-Apr-17 16:07:57

The nutritional benefits of snake? Well I have heard some things about drinking snake blood, Bleurgh!! I have eaten regular snake, but don't think I could try a poisonous variety.

Sciurus83 Mon 03-Apr-17 16:09:15

It's safe to eat as posters have mentioned the venom is in glands near the head, would be chopped off before "filleting". Cobra is not something that is eaten much, I have seen a lot of python for sale in Indonesian markets, according to friends it is quite a prestigious dish in some areas. Cobra harvesting would not be a sustainable meat source at all so I wouldn't eat for that reason alone. A lot of rattlesnake is eaten in places like texas after roundups but this is a bad thing IMO. The meat itself wouldn't be venomous but they are often caught by gassing underground holes with petrol which kills the snakes but also anything else in the burrow for years to come and i would be concerned about eating anything subjected to that level of poisoning. The snakes are then taken half dead and kept in awful conditions before slaughter. Really not good.

hellokittymania Mon 03-Apr-17 16:10:54

Barbarian that's why people like to drink the snake blood apparently

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 03-Apr-17 16:12:51

I've eaten cobra. I was a stupid tourist. Never occurred to me that it might be unsafe.

BarbarianMum Mon 03-Apr-17 16:15:07

Yes and the snake is drained then skinned whilst still alive.

It doesn't work btw

hellokittymania Mon 03-Apr-17 16:15:40

MrsTerry I think the restaurant in question is also popular with locals. And yes it's in Indonesia.

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 03-Apr-17 16:18:02

Poor snake. I feel very sad. Also considering I gave up most meat, including all pork, in Asia because of animals cruelty concerns. sad

Meekonsandwich Mon 03-Apr-17 16:22:14

Lol I really don't think any meat is cruelty free to be fair!

Whether you electrify them, boil them, stun them or cut their throat, I really don't think having a nice life prior to this can make up for the fact you just killed it xD

So if a person has had a nice life and they get killed or murdered its not cruel?

BarbarianMum Mon 03-Apr-17 16:24:14

Having your throat cut is one thing. Being skinned alive is another.

ShoutOutToMyEx Mon 03-Apr-17 16:25:06

No meat is cruelty free! I'm a vegetarian but if I ate meat I'd be in for a penny, in for a pound grin

DesignedForLife Mon 03-Apr-17 16:28:06

Snakes on the whole aren't poisonous, they are venomous. Big difference.

hellokittymania Mon 03-Apr-17 16:28:50

For the vegetarians out there, there is also a 50 m long noodles in the soup. grin

In China somewhere.

LurkingHusband Mon 03-Apr-17 16:31:47

Tastes like chicken ????

hellokittymania Mon 03-Apr-17 16:32:16

Here, the one noodle soup

Good luck trying to eat this one!

gbtimes.com/china/chef-wows-crowds-pulling-50m-long-noodles

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now