Talk

Advanced search

Positive Strep B GBS test

(8 Posts)
Happyandhungry Mon 03-Apr-17 15:56:04

Ok i am 38 weeks pregnant and I'd heard of Strep B don't really know what it is or anything about it but I know it can be bad if passed to baby. Did a private test "Strepelle" and its come back positive. Phoned midwife she said we dont test for it on NHS as its transient (could be positive one day and not the next) but if you ever test positive during pregnancy we treat you as positive in labour, so you must attend main hospital labour ward and be on a drip of antibiotics during labour. I was already going to the main labour ward anyway due to my BMI (although otherwise I've had a very low risk no complications pregnancy) so that bit doesn't bother me, but the drip of anti biotics during labour has got me down a bit. Anyone else had this or know anyone that has had this? How did it feel during labour? Any other side effects. Would like to hear from others that have been throught it. Thanks

mumthatruns Mon 03-Apr-17 16:13:28

I didn't do a test, never heard of it until my son was having a lumbar puncture in the NICU to rule out meningitis at 2 days old. He had sepsis, pneumonia, prolonged infant jaundice, a heart murmur and at 2 years old now has sight problems and potential hearing problems. He also need physiotherapy until he was 18months old.
An antibiotic drip is all it takes to help the baby during labour. Have it.

Why they don't screen for this infection I don't know. Check out Group B Strep Support, they are brilliant and have loads of information.

I don't want to scare you as it's so easily treated with the antibiotic drip once it's picked up on, but the side effects it can have on your child can be severe. Have the drip.

mumthatruns Mon 03-Apr-17 16:16:12

gbss.org.uk/

If it was something my midwife had mentioned to my husband and I during pregnancy, we would've done a private test ourselves, but it was not once mentioned by anyone during my consultant lead pregnancy care.

BounceBounceSplishSplash Mon 03-Apr-17 16:17:14

I had an antibiotic drip during labour though not for this reason. I was dreading it as thought it would restrict me moving etc and labour would be bad enough etc. I was already on the drip for a few days before I gave birth. When it came down to it, I didn't really notice it during labour or I don't recall doing so.

Beadoren Mon 03-Apr-17 16:35:04

Op you need to PUSH the midwives to give you the drip ASAP. You need to have at least 2hrs but preferably 4hrs of the drip before delivery. They don't like to examine you if they don't think you are in labour because of introducing germs, I went in on my second baby, they spend an hour faffing around observing my contractions without examining me because they didn't believe I was in labour (I have a v high pain threshold) despite me saying I needed the antibiotics asap and it not being my first labour. They examined me and I was 6cm, Dd was born 45 mins later.

She was fine, but it was really silly because babies born to GBS mums without having enough ABs have to have to be assesed by a paediatrician within a few hours of birth and then have 48 hours of iv antibiotics and observation by the NICU team. I ended up on a high risk post natal ward with other babies with meningitis and sepsis as a precaution because it can be SO serious if baby contracts the strep.

Dd was born in one push in the birth pool,
I didn't tear, it was the most straightforward birth you could imagine. I didn't even want to get in the wheelchair to go to the ward because I felt absolutely fine. We would have been sent home straight away if it weren't for the strep, 3 day stay in hospital bed blocking under the NICU team all because they didn't want to put me blocking a birthing suite.

She was absolutely fine and never showed any infection markers whatsoever.

At a low level the NHS don't take strep seriously, but if they think your baby may have it the precautions are taken v seriously.

edwinbear Mon 03-Apr-17 16:38:58

I tested positive for both DS and DD and had the drip for both. It was really a non issue - I even managed to labour in the pool with a drip for DD. I too was worried about how it would all work logistically but I barely remember it in comparison to everything else!

mumthatruns Mon 03-Apr-17 17:55:58

Ours was a 12 day stay in total, plus hospital appointments and checkups etc still now at age 2.
It's so serious, it's not worth even thinking about

Happyandhungry Mon 03-Apr-17 18:13:41

Thank you all. So so glad i did the test and glad to hear that the drip didn't make any difference in labour and wasn't in the way or an annoyance, i would have the drip either way but just wondered how people got on during labour with the drip in. I will definitely push the midwives to get me in sooner than usual so they can start the drip.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now