Talk

Advanced search

I don't understand tall cakes

(8 Posts)
GoodyGoodyGumdrops Mon 03-Apr-17 14:40:49

The sort that are taller than they are wide, made by layering several cakes one on top of each other, filled with buttercream.

I mean, they're very pretty, but how do you serve them?

Scarlottie Mon 03-Apr-17 21:37:45

Dunno

Toomanycats99 Mon 03-Apr-17 21:39:05

I would cut a section from top then slice as usual. My daughters was 6 medium layers and I cut in half across the middle then sliced.

PurpleDaisies Mon 03-Apr-17 21:39:52

I've only done these on request because I agree with you-they're for looking at not eating. If I have to serve one I slice it in half horizontally through one of the sponge layers and then treat it as two cakes.

RedheadLover Tue 04-Apr-17 22:14:03

Totally agree with you OP!

brexitstolemyfuture Thu 06-Apr-17 07:36:08

I agree, ridiculous

Rory786 Thu 06-Apr-17 07:56:26

what purpledaisy said.

They have the wow factor, as opposed to a short squat cake!

WhistlerGrey Thu 06-Apr-17 08:06:46

They are actually very easy to cut/serve - especially to children. You mark the cake into what ever number of wedges you want (ie 4, 6 8 - depending on the circumference of the cake/what size piece you want),

You then cut the first wedge and pull it out to the accompanying oohs and ahs, take your photo if it is an ombré or rainbow cake inside. Then you lay this wedge on its side and cut it up into the number of layers making it up. So if there are 6 layers of cake you cut it into 6 pieces along the jam/icing/whatever is joining the cake layers together.

You end up with a smallish piece of cake with minimal icing which is perfect for children's parties.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now