Talk

Advanced search

Anti vaxxers

(146 Posts)
Tinhatsallround Mon 03-Apr-17 14:34:28

So the anti vaxxers seem to be out in force on social media at the moment and I'm finding it difficult to hold my tongue. I don't feel it's a choice in parenting that I can chalk up to a difference of opinion. AIBU to cut them out of my life and leave them to it? Or do I just change the subject when it cones up? I'm not sure I can stomach the selfishness of it.

Nicotina Mon 03-Apr-17 14:45:31

Ignore. Or tell the selfish fecklers that they are putting the lives of immunocompromised people like me at risk.
Ignore is probably best, thought.

Rainydayspending Mon 03-Apr-17 14:48:44

I couldn't stay quiet. They're a dangerous bunch. Gullible though. Maybe forward their details on to those aloe vera people.

Applebite Mon 03-Apr-17 14:50:13

Ah, I'm sure they've all done their research hmmhmmhmm

BarbarianMum Mon 03-Apr-17 14:53:15

Well according to mumsnet measles is spreading across Europe at the moment. So we may soon get to see first hand what widespread non immunisation does to a community. I suspect vaccination rates to rocket thereafter - for a while at least.

Tinhatsallround Mon 03-Apr-17 14:56:44

Ha, yup, it all seems centered around a series of online videos ( obviously far more reliable than actual medical sources hmm ) which I am being urged to watch - as if I have a spare 6 hours! - so that I can make an "informed" choice.

Struggling to find a diplomatic measured response for people who ask if I've had my baby immunised. Many of them are friends so I don't want a show down but a non confrontational way to stand my ground and hopefully change their minds instead.

WhooooAmI24601 Mon 03-Apr-17 15:01:54

I shut a conversation down a few weeks ago when someone on Facebook suggested DS1's ASD was caused by the MMR vaccine by answering "his Autism was there before the vaccines were. Which, coincidentally, were all done separately at a private clinic because his newborn vaccines had made him quite unwell."

I hate the assumption that if you vaccinate you must be ignorant of their "facts" (and I use that term lightly). Perhaps, just perhaps, parents research and make decisions on what is right for their own children rather than decisions based on scaremongering and memes.

Confusicous Mon 03-Apr-17 15:05:30

I think it's a task for the medical profession and the media to gain trust re immunisations. It's precisely because asking questions gets you shut down and called stupid in my book

As soon as a doctor actually took time to non judgementally answer my specific concerns and not treat me like an idiot - my child was swiftly vaccinated

However being told Wakefield got struck off (as if anyone didn't know that already!) when I'm talking about the first set of jabs that do not include MMR really didn't boost my confidence in my GP in any way whatsoever

If that's how little attention they're paying how on earth can I trust them with my newborn

canadamouse Mon 03-Apr-17 15:07:24

Agreed confusicos

Applebite Mon 03-Apr-17 15:12:57

www.google.co.uk/amp/www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/measles-outbreak-europe-spread-parents-vaccinations-anti-vaxxers-who-world-health-organisation-a7655591.html%3Famp

Doubtless they'll all be glad for those of us who did vaccinate, making the spread of it to their kids that bit less likely

Tinhatsallround Mon 03-Apr-17 15:16:18

I guess I'm looking for a way to navigate this without it descending into anything so childish as people being called stupid for asking a question. Of course you should be able to raise concerns with medical staff who should be able to allay any worries you have. My issue isn't at all with people asking questions and seeking to educate themselves but rather with people pushing an agenda and applying pressure not to vaccinate under the guise of "choices".

Sprungout Mon 03-Apr-17 15:19:51

Never had measles a kid, too old for MMR round, now got compromised immunity. Thanks, batshit antivaxxers, you have chosen to put me at risk of death or severe disability.
I asked for MMR myself or even just measles jab but was told this was actually risky for me. Because of my compromised immune system.
Read up on that, you selfish bastards.

TheHodgeoftheHedge Mon 03-Apr-17 15:23:00

I've already posted both of these on MN today. One is a classic answer to anti vaxers from Penn and teller and the other is a very current article about some very worrying outbreaks of preventable disease where kids are dying.
www.google.co.uk/amp/scienceblogs.com/insolence/2017/03/21/massive-measles-outbreak-in-romania-a-warning-to-the-us/amp/

youtu.be/RfdZTZQvuCo

Nellooo Mon 03-Apr-17 15:23:19

I post this same link every time I come across an anti-vax idiot. It's the harrowing yet beautifully told story of a baby boy who died from whooping cough. I think that if this doesn't make you take notice then nothing will.

https://www.unicef.org.au/blog/stories/december-2015/light-for-riley?utmsource=rakuten&utmm_medium=ad-conversions&utmterm=affiliate-link&utmm_campaign=TnL5HPStwNw&utmcontent=1&siteID=TnL5HPStwNw-xYJRW6VV_KBB7D7P6TavyxA

mayaknew Mon 03-Apr-17 15:31:46

LOVE that Penn and teller video!

No matter how many times I get into the argument I still cannot get my head around how it is possible to think like that! Why do people believe this shit?

And also... why do people think opening their child up to deadly disease is better than risking autism 👊

Brainwashed Mon 03-Apr-17 15:36:12

My 16 year old DS currently has mumps which has the potential to affect his fertility. He has been fully vaccinated but obviously herd immunity isn't high enough to prevent infection spreading in the community (spike of cases in the last 2 weeks apparently) angry

BeaveredBadgered Mon 03-Apr-17 15:53:54

My DD was exposed to measles in the Drs surgery when she was 8 weeks old because another parent with an unvaccinated child who caught measles thought it was a good idea to visit the GP and sit in the waiting area, right next to a new born baby too young to be vaccinated.
If we do suffer a measles outbreak it'll be those who are too young to be vaccinated and immunocompromised effected the most and the consequences of the illness in those groups can be far more serious.
It makes me furious that people are irresponsible and selfish enough not to vaccinate themselves/their kids if they're lucky enough to be entitled to vaccination on the NHS and are suitable candidates for vaccination.

strawberryvanillachocolate Mon 03-Apr-17 15:55:53

I think Jackie fletcher might have felt a tad upset as well.

TheHodgeoftheHedge Mon 03-Apr-17 15:59:54

@mayaknew I feel exactly the same. I feel similarly about most conspiracy type nuts. I was reading about the people who think the shooting at Sandy Hook was a hoax. They come across as deeply mentally ill.

Osolea Mon 03-Apr-17 16:12:16

It might help to try and stop considering the choice not to vaccinate as selfish. People who make this choice aren't doing it out of selfishness, to gain something for themselves or their children, they're doing it because they genuinely believe they are doing the right thing for their own children - the only ones they have a responsibility for.

It really doesn't help to call them selfish, and I agree with a previous poster that many nhs professionals don't do this cause any favours by treating people as if they are stupid for having concerns. Vaccine damage is a real thing that happens, even excluding the whole Wakefield/MMR thing.

My children are fully vaccinated by the way (although not according to NHS statistics because they had single vaccines, despite providing the GP with proof of immunity).

mayaknew Mon 03-Apr-17 16:14:15

Pretend for a moment that vax do increase the risk of autism....

You're choice is...

No vax - you're child will be at risk from several deadly pr disabling diseases. Higher risk of autism

Vax - you're child will be protected from several deadly and disabling diseases. Lower risk of autism.

I'M STILL PICKING VAX!!!!!!

How hard is that to comprehend?! I'm sorry to be blunt but I'd rather have an autistic child that a dead child 😠

bumbleymummy Mon 03-Apr-17 16:14:22

Brainwashed, the reason for the mumps outbreaks are because the mumps component of the vaccine isn't as effective as originally thought. There is research being done to help improve it FDA article.

Beavered, at that age your DD would still have had protection from your antibodies. It's why the measles vaccines aren't usually given until around 12 months - interference from maternal antibodies.

Mayaknew, people's concerns about vaccines aren't all about autism.

TheHodge, I read that article about Sandy Hook too. So awful. Those poor parents having to deal with harassment from people like that after the death of their child sad

mayaknew Mon 03-Apr-17 16:14:54

Your your your!!! Autocorrect 😳

strawberryvanillachocolate Mon 03-Apr-17 16:17:31

I'd pick the latter maya.

BeaveredBadgered Mon 03-Apr-17 16:19:13

Bumbley that isn't the case sadly. I have an immunologist friend who did a lot of research at the time and it's unlikely passive immunity would have prevented her from developing measles. The NHS advised and arranged for her to have a large volume IM injection of normal immunoglobulins as they accepted that she was high risk and not protected by immune components she was exposed to in utero.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now