Talk

Advanced search

To set a move date

(18 Posts)
VickiLeigh Mon 03-Apr-17 13:49:03

I've sold my house and now waiting on the the buyers solicitor to get back in touch with my solicitor. I feel like no one has any need for getting on with anything as no date has been set. No idea if I'm being impatient or not as I've never sold before and it was over 10 years since I bought my house, surely I'm within all reasonable rights to have a date to complete or am I completely naive to think that?

pilates Mon 03-Apr-17 13:51:32

No point setting a date until everyone in the chain is ready and then you have the enjoyable task of picking a date which is agreeable to everyone.

Trills Mon 03-Apr-17 13:58:25

It's not a question of reasonableness, it's a question of "is this a thing that is possible?" and the answer is no.

You can't set a move date on your own. It's something that has to be agreed.

You can ask for one, and call your solicitor and/or estate agent for updates every day. But you can't just set one.

When it comes to moving house it does seem that people need "nagging".

VickiLeigh Mon 03-Apr-17 14:04:39

No chain here, first time buyer and we are stopping with MIL to ensure no chain I think that's why I'm being annoyed by it, I've been told by a few people it's up to me to decide when I want to complete by and that it should have been in some of the paperwork at the start, meh I'm sure it'll all fall into place I'm just terrible at waiting

Trills Mon 03-Apr-17 14:08:06

Call your estate agent and ask what needs to be done next to proceed, and who needs to do it. Is someone waiting for something? Is there anything you can do to make it happen faster?

Repeat until you get the keys.

contractor6 Mon 03-Apr-17 14:10:08

The solicitors need to do some things and the vendors need to agree especially if chain above them, you can request a date,but it has to be acceptable to all parties.

contractor6 Mon 03-Apr-17 14:11:10

Mortgage companies also involved takes time

pilates Mon 03-Apr-17 14:31:41

Yes give the Agents a call they will be able to speak to your Buyer. Sometimes mortgage offers can take a while to come through.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 03-Apr-17 14:38:26

Your buyers have to be ready with mortgage offer, searches back, answers to enquiries back, then signed contract. No date can be agreed until all this is in place.

It's out of your control unfortunately. You could tell your agent and solicitor you'd like to aim for completion in xx date, but that's about it.

Bluebell9 Mon 03-Apr-17 14:40:03

There is more info in the property section. Although reading it will probably only stress you out with the stories of what goes on!

VickiLeigh Mon 03-Apr-17 14:50:53

Thanks everyone, I'll just carry on boxing things up and reminding the solicitor I'm still waiting smile

RoganJosh Mon 03-Apr-17 14:57:06

I have always found that a completion date gets things going quicker so it might be worth putting one forward.
You're brave to pack before you've exchanged smile

VickiLeigh Mon 03-Apr-17 14:59:36

It'll just go straight back on the market if it falls through, I'm probably over prepared but I'm ready to get out now and at least my house is getting a good clean as I go

TheHedgehogCanNeverBe Mon 03-Apr-17 19:42:15

I've always packed before exchanged (non essentials but we have so much stuff!). After a number of house moves I second the advice earlier...regular phone calls to conveyancer / estate agents along the lines of...'what happens next / what do I need to do next etc.'
I seen if frowned upon here but I'm sure we've exhanged and completed on the same day too.

Happyandhungry Mon 03-Apr-17 20:33:52

How do you know there is no chain? Unless you're buying a new build or a vacant house then the people you're buying from must be moving on to another property and therefore there is a chain? Have you actually exchanged? House purchasing takes months just got to suck it up unfortunately.

VickiLeigh Mon 03-Apr-17 20:54:44

We have a first time buyer buying our house and we are going to MILs so definitely no chain here

Happyandhungry Mon 03-Apr-17 21:04:15

Ooh i understand now! My in laws have just moved, there was a chain but only 4 people and all cash buyers no mortgages involved. Still took 5 months.

VickiLeigh Mon 03-Apr-17 21:07:17

Oh that's so depressing to hear sad I've had so many other people's opinions and lots of 'ooo it'll be so quick in your situation' and lots of people asking why we don't have a date yet, it'll soon roll round I'm sure I'm just so bad a waiting for pretty much anything grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now