Talk

Advanced search

to throw my neighbours tree back over the fence

(12 Posts)
gingeraleandcoke Mon 03-Apr-17 10:40:04

I came home from work yesterday evening to find the new neighbours had removed a tree in their back garden and a big hefty section of branches lying in my garden.

The branches originally were overhanging into my property, but I didn't have an issue with that, as they were positioned over my shed and didn't interfere with anything.

I was surprised to receive no warning the tree was being removed and even more surprised nobody has since visited and offered to remove the branches.

My back garden is only accessible through my house and I really don't fancy transporting half a tree through my kitchen.

AIBU to simply throw the section of tree back over the fence?

On one hand I don't want to get off on the wrong foot with new neighbors, but on the other hand they've gave me zero communication and warning and I'd simply be doing the same.

zzzzz Mon 03-Apr-17 10:42:48

Just knock on the door and say you will pop his branches back over the fence as taking them through your house isn't practical.

5OBalesofHay Mon 03-Apr-17 10:42:56

Give them a knock and ask them to help you get rid. If your garden is only accessible through the house there probably wasn't much they could do.

Offler Mon 03-Apr-17 10:43:55

It's their tree, you would simply be returning their property. In fact, not to do so might be considered theft. It's your civic duty to return them 😉

FreshsatsumaforDd Mon 03-Apr-17 10:46:35

knock and say they can have access to your garden to retrieve their tree branches, or if they prefer you will drop them over their fence.

sopsmum Mon 03-Apr-17 10:49:37

Yes just don't do what my neighbours did and block their entire driveway without warning whilst they are on holiday. I really did enjoy getting home at midnight with sleeping children and not be able to get in my house (we had bolted the front door so needed access to the back garden).

Chloe84 Mon 03-Apr-17 11:18:51

As Offler says, legally you are required to return/offer to return the branches

Floggingmolly Mon 03-Apr-17 11:23:16

I wouldn't even bother asking; I'd just chuck them back over. They really should have spoken to you before the work began.

purplecoathanger Mon 03-Apr-17 11:27:39

I personally like to stay on good terms with my neighbours. I would have a nice chat with them about disposing of their tree. It really isn't worth falling out with them. Yes, they were wrong not to talk to you, so show them the right way of dealing with things.

gingeraleandcoke Mon 03-Apr-17 11:27:48

Offler this comment made me laugh.

The neighbor equally has no access to the back garden except through their kitchen so a hassle for them...but that's their problem.

I think the option of knocking on their door and getting them to come remove them it would be preferable. I'm only 32 but recently pulled a muscle in my lower back and would be ironic if I worsened that trying to throw the tree back over.

melj1213 Mon 03-Apr-17 11:37:56

YABABU

Perhaps they had arranged for a tree surgeon to come and cut the tree down and expected that they'd ensure any overhanging branches were brought back on to their own property but the tree is in such a position or the work happened in such a way that when it was cut down they couldn't engineer it for the overhanging bits to not end up on your side? They can't help the fact that they can't access your garden and you were out when it happened. Perhaps it would have been polite for them to leave a note asking that you call/pop over to discuss removing it but you can't expect them to inform you of every bit of work they do.

I'd just go over, knock on the door and ask them what their plans are for removing the deadwood in your garden - would they prefer to come over and get it or would they prefer you just throw it over the fence.

MiniCooperLover Mon 03-Apr-17 12:18:08

They may not be aware they are there, depends who cut the tree down. A neighbour always warns us when their trees are being trimmed and the tree guy climbs the fence and retrieves old branches. Just knock and ask when they can pop over to throw them back into their garden.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now