Talk

Advanced search

To feel guilty every time I use the NHS?

(45 Posts)
Placeanditspatrons Mon 03-Apr-17 08:57:58

I hate having to use them for anything as they are so stretched at the moment and I'm a sahm currently so not even contributing anything, although dh is a higher rate tax payer I suppose.

I have type 1 diabetes and the last twelve months or so I've felt so bad about it that I've stopped testing my blood sugar as much and have been eating less to try and conserve the insulin.
I have to call for a prescription today. It just feels so entitled. I can't explain it really. Every time I have to use the service I feel like I'm taking valuable resources away from those who need them.

If I'm ever ill I just wait it out and hope for the best.

Is it weird to feel like this?

Sirzy Mon 03-Apr-17 09:01:00

Your approach is worrying. Thinking logically surely the best way to help the NHS is to use the available resources to make sure your diabetes is well controlled? Much better than for things to get out of control and then to have the cost of stabilising.

I am all for taking a "watch and see" approach most of the time and generally it can be a sensible approach but it does have to be done with caution

SquedgieBeckenheim Mon 03-Apr-17 09:01:32

If you don't eat properly and don't use your treatment effectively you will end up costing the NHS far more than you would otherwise.
The only people who should feel guilty using the NHS are those who use it inappropriately e.g. calling an ambulance for a ride home instead of a taxi.

MurielsBottom Mon 03-Apr-17 09:01:47

It is not weird to feel like that, I do too, however you are putting yourself at serious risk if you have T1 diabetes. Not managing your condition now could put you at serious future health risks.

I try not to go to the GP very often and only for things which I really cn't deal with at home. I do try and keep my dcs away too. I do feel guilty when I think there are so many people who are really poorly or have serious medical conditions that need the nhs to work well for them. (My dh has diabetes and some associated health problems so I feel like he takes our "share" of the service).

FittonTower Mon 03-Apr-17 09:02:02

Feel grateful not guilty. You're not calling ambulances because you can't be bothered to get a taxi or anything, you're ill. And it doesn't matter at all that you're not working, that's not how it works thankfully

Placeanditspatrons Mon 03-Apr-17 09:04:59

My diabetes is well managed. It's in the excellent control range.
I just feel bad that I'm such a drain on society.

Babyroobs Mon 03-Apr-17 09:05:51

I think you are being ridiculous ,especially the not testing your blood sugars. If you feel that bad then either get a job and pay tax or do some voluntary work in some kind of NHS support, help out a a hospice ( most are not NHS but take a lot of stress off the NHS by offering end of life care) r a day centre or a support group or something?

peaceloveandbiscuits Mon 03-Apr-17 09:06:21

I feel the same way flowers
How do you feel about getting appointments/prescriptions for your children? If DS is really poorly and needs a doctor, I've no qualms about it - it's only when I'm the one in need that I really struggle to balance the guilt. I once had to call myself an ambulance because I was bleeding to death (literally) and spent the whole time apologising confused
Do you suffer from anxiety/depression generally, or is it limited to this?

EnthusiasmIsDisturbed Mon 03-Apr-17 09:06:30

No you shouldn't feel guilty at all

But the messages we are constantly getting is that it is underfunded, at breaking point and so on (which it is and that is the problem)

It also stops people from making genuine complaints which is also important so things are corrected

I think this is quite deliberate

Placeanditspatrons Mon 03-Apr-17 09:06:44

Dd is only 15 months and the reason I haven't gone back is childcare mainly so I can't currently volunteer. I will go back to work but not until she's about three.

Placeanditspatrons Mon 03-Apr-17 09:07:48

Yes I will use it for the children without a moment's thought although we use our private medical insurance where we can. It won't cover my diabetes obviously.

Babyroobs Mon 03-Apr-17 09:08:22

And the NHS is based on need. My dh has a chronic health condition and visits the GP many times wheras I rarely do. My ds2 is having no doubt expensive treatment for acne and expensive free NHD orthodontic treatment but my other kids never go to the GP. it all balances out.

Starduke Mon 03-Apr-17 09:10:34

I understand what you mean though I agree with PPs, you need to be careful with diabetes.

I remember going to the Dr as a child and the Dr being very dismissive and making it clear he thought it was a waste of his time.

Ever since then, I tend to try to wait until I have several problems so at least one might warrant the attention of a Dr and I won't be dismissed our of hand.

This backfired quite a bit and resulted in a far longer wait for a diagnosis and treatment.

BoboChic Mon 03-Apr-17 09:10:35

Don't be ridiculous. Your duty as a citizen is to avail yourself of the resources at your disposal to be healthy.

RainbowsAndUnicorn Mon 03-Apr-17 09:11:54

Lots feel the same way but it seems strange to only focus on the NHS. What about all the other public services you use that are funded by tax? Do you avoid those too?

I only bother a doctor when needed, otherwise lots of things can simply be purchased from the chemist and they give great advice.

The NHS is underfunded and could save huge costs with the right handling internally and if people were more responsible instead of wasting appointments for things they could buy over the counter, non essential treatments etc then things would be much improved.

tinypop4 Mon 03-Apr-17 09:12:29

Gosh you mustn't feel like that. Type 1 diabetes is not something you can prevent with lifestyle changes or similar. The NHS is there for people like you- you have a chronic illness which needs treating properly. Now if all the people that did actually waste time, money and resources in the NHS felt guilty about it we would be getting somewhere.

Placeanditspatrons Mon 03-Apr-17 09:13:00

Yes I just feel I am a waste of resources!
I'm not going to get better.
I may develop complications which will cost more money.
I don't feel I'm a very good investment. I must be costing the taxpayer a fortune!

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Mon 03-Apr-17 09:13:15

You know the type of complications poorly-managed diabetes leads to, right? I don't need to type them out for you?

And you know that those complications will cost a lot, lot more than your insulin?

Please stop absorbing the messages the Mail and pals send out to you. Yes, the NHS is struggling but that is not your fault. You have contributed in the past, you will contribute again in the future but the biggest contribution you can make is to manage your condition sensibly.

The cost of life-long insulin and diabetes management is NOTHING compared to the kind of costs surgery and complications would lead to.

BillSykesDog Mon 03-Apr-17 09:13:27

Er, this is why we all pay taxes. It's very rare people will go their entire lives without having a point where they are not a taxpayer (including childhood) so we all pay in and that is a reflection that we are taking care of our fellow citizens when they can't and they will do the same for us when we can't. You are doing valuable work bringing up the next generation of taxpayers and hence are adding value anyway. grin Don't feel bad at all. I feel very happy if my taxes are spent helping someone manage a long term condition in a way that makes them a happier, healthier member of our society. That is good for us all.

tinypop4 Mon 03-Apr-17 09:13:59

You're not. Lots of people are but you're not. I'm sure you have contributed through your tax and will again.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Mon 03-Apr-17 09:14:09

OP are you feeling OK about life in general?

CasperGutman Mon 03-Apr-17 09:14:13

You are not a drain on society. It is good for society for those with conditions such as diabetes to receive appropriate monitoring and treatment to maintain them in a healthy condition. The NHS is not a charity, it is an efficient* method of achieving a necessary goal.

*Critics of the NHS can always point to specific instances of waste and mismanagement, but the UK spends less of healthcare than most comparably affluent societies, and gets better outcomes than many. In my book, that sounds like efficient use of resources.

Grilledaubergines Mon 03-Apr-17 09:14:39

I think it's something that's 'in you'. The people, like you, who are conscious of the NHS pressure, won't use unless absolutely necessary and are grateful to the medical professionals and staff for their time. And those who turn up to A&E with fuck all wrong that two paracetamol won't sort, check in to the hospital on Facebook, don't turn up to outpatients appts, use an ambulance as a taxi service, and tell NHS staff that they pay their wages.

BUT in your situation, you're not Being sensible.

Placeanditspatrons Mon 03-Apr-17 09:14:55

Yes I find that not eating much works quite well in terms of my blood sugar being fairly level...

Groovee Mon 03-Apr-17 09:15:13

You are not a drain. There are a lot of people who are who waste appointments which could have been done as a repeat prescription etc.

Try not to stress. You have a condition which needs to be treated properly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now