Talk

Advanced search

Would you report this as a possible drunk driver?

(125 Posts)
RudeBarbandCustard Mon 03-Apr-17 01:35:36

I have recently had a new neighbour move in to the flat below mine. In the 2 months since they've lived there, I've only set eyes on them twice - they're a couple, seemed friendly enough when I said hello last week.

They seem odd in that their curtains are permanently closed on their flat, and at night time there's never any light escaping from their windows. They never sit out on their balcony, even when the weather is lovely. They just seem to sit inside in darkness.

My flat overlooks the parking area, and they emerge every few days, drive away, and return within about 30 mins - so I assume they just pop to the shops every now and then. I've no idea if they work.

Today, our recycling bins went out and theirs is absolutely overflowing with cans of cheapo cider - all the same brand. An entire recycling box full - there must be 50+ cans in there. Surely they've been building up a while, I can't imagine anyone could have drunk them all in a week (since the bins last went out ). Nothing else in the recycling bin, just cans (I didn't rummage - I could see this because the lid won't fit on it because it's literally overflowing)

So putting 2 and 2 together, I'm guessing that the trips out in the car are likely to be to stock up on more cider from the local offie. It's not a difficult stretch to then imagine that they may not be entirely sober when they venture out.

Would I be unreasonable to report their number plate to 101 for the police to potentially breathalyze them the next time they spot them...?

My kids play on their bikes in that parking area, the thought of anyone driving around pissed just makes my blood run cold.

Shitalopram Mon 03-Apr-17 01:38:23

The police will listen politely but when they finish talking to you they'll turn to their colleague and say "oh FFS"

RudeBarbandCustard Mon 03-Apr-17 01:39:56

You're probably right. But I've done this before when I worked in a pub, and reported a drunk driver. He used to get shitfaced drunk then drive home. He got caught, and I was bloody glad I reported him.

Shitalopram Mon 03-Apr-17 01:42:59

Seeing someone get into a car drunk from the pub is a world apart from noticing someone has lots of cider cans in their recycling.

RudeBarbandCustard Mon 03-Apr-17 01:50:58

Yeah I guess so - it's not just the recycling though, it's the fact that they only ever seem to drive out at random times apparently to go to the shop, together with the fact that they're clearly drinking a hell of a lot.

God I sound like a massive curtain twitcher don't I? I promise I don't sit in all day watching their movements!

RainyDayBear Mon 03-Apr-17 01:54:40

Can you try to orchestrate running into them before they pop out and assess if they seem under the influence? I doubt police would do anything as it's a bit of a leap - they could have just had friends over!

kali110 Mon 03-Apr-17 01:55:51

So because they go to the shop at random times they must be drink driving?
You don't even know if they work!
I used to work really odd hours years ago and would have drinks in the week ( get drunk) why assume they are drink driving/don't work just because they don't go out at the hours you do?

kali110 Mon 03-Apr-17 01:58:28

Oh and i hate having my curtains open! Hate people looking in!
If they've put them in the recycling, then how often is it emptied?
Fortnightly, 50 cans isn't really much between the two of them in 2 weeks.

hideehigh Mon 03-Apr-17 01:58:58

YABU and YAB a very nosey neighbour. confused

RudeBarbandCustard Mon 03-Apr-17 08:14:36

why assume they are drink driving/don't work just because they don't go out at the hours you do?

Because they only ever go out for 30 mins or so - long enough to get to the shop and back. Unless they work 15 minute shifts, they're not working.

Recycling is emptied weekly - but I guess they could have missed it a few times and this is the build up.

Fair enough, I won't do anything because it's unlikely the police will do anything. But I still think I could be right.

shirleycartersaidso Mon 03-Apr-17 08:16:03

That's a bit of an assumption you've made there.

Instasista Mon 03-Apr-17 08:18:21

No way. You're massively over thinking this- in fact I'm quite gobsmacked you're thinking of calling the police. That seems like a really weird conclusion to come to just because they are boozers.

The police won't actually do anything you know. They have to catch people in the act.

Sirzy Mon 03-Apr-17 08:18:23

Quite sad that from your nosiness you are more concerned about making up accusations than worrying that you potentially have a vulnerable neighbour living pretty isolated for whatever reason.

Instasista Mon 03-Apr-17 08:19:18

You sound very much like you're looking for some excitement. Or are you generally a bit of a busybody?

AlternativeTentacle Mon 03-Apr-17 08:19:46

Perhaps they keep their curtains closed due to the extreme nosiness of the neighbours? Bloody hell I've been here 10 Years and know less about the drinking habits of my neighbours.

WaitrosePigeon Mon 03-Apr-17 08:20:35

So nosey!

SmokingGun Mon 03-Apr-17 08:31:13

If those 50 cans where drunk by 2 people over even 2 weeks, it works out as less than 2 cans each a day which doesn't seem excessive to me.

Disclaimer - feel free to correct maths if wrong grin

Mrsmorton Mon 03-Apr-17 08:33:16

Maybe get a hobby or read a book. Perhaps you could write one with an imagination like yours?

namechange20050 Mon 03-Apr-17 08:35:00

You're the neighbour from hell, aren't you? Mind your own business. Jesus.

Rainydayspending Mon 03-Apr-17 08:40:34

A regular Miss Marple. Maybe get out more yourself. Your post suggests that you are sat watching their flat to be so confident they're not out and about more.

KateDaniels2 Mon 03-Apr-17 08:40:51

So the facts are

They drink but you have no idea how much

And they drive.

But there is zero evidence that they do both at the same time.

Do you believe that people who drink all drink drive?

HerOtherHalf Mon 03-Apr-17 08:41:37

I'm all for reporting drink drivers but you are making an awful lot of assumptions here, too many I would say to merit reporting it. All you know is that they consume as a household a fair amount of cider and drive occasionally. That is not reasonable grounds for suspicion. Hell, my wheelie bin is chock full of empty beer bottles right now and I've only been out in the car a few times this week - I can assure you by blood/alcohol level has been nil any time I've been in the car.

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Mon 03-Apr-17 08:43:56

Have you considered learning to knit?
You clearly need a hobby

Imamouseduh Mon 03-Apr-17 08:44:56

You sound absolutely mental, OP.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Mon 03-Apr-17 08:46:02

I work from home and am pretty sure most of my neighbours think I'm unemployed. Have been known to draw the curtains on a sunny day too if I want to work downstairs.

In other words, assumptions much?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now