Talk

Advanced search

Is this Legal?

(11 Posts)
LouBlue1507 Sun 02-Apr-17 22:46:40

Hi everyone

I'm just filling in a job application form for a local council and came across this. Q5 asks if I'm pregnant or recently given birth? I thought this was illegal under the equality act?

AIBU to contact the office and raise this?

Itsmeitscathy Sun 02-Apr-17 22:47:32

No it's for statistics only - equal opps

Lulabell1979 Sun 02-Apr-17 22:47:52

No idea. Ridiculous though.

Happyandhungry Sun 02-Apr-17 22:48:28

There is a "prefer not to state" option so just tick that and chill out. Guarantee if you start phoning them quoting the equality act you aint getting any job!

Itsmeitscathy Sun 02-Apr-17 22:49:39

Sorry, the expanded answer is as it tells you in it, they collate this for stats only. It tells them how many disabled people are in their workforce etc and is common practise. Your interviewers/those recruiting the post will never see it.

LouBlue1507 Sun 02-Apr-17 22:52:13

I have seen many equality forms and not one has asked about pregnancy! The job is not for me so I'm not worried about that 😅

TinfoilHattie Sun 02-Apr-17 22:56:03

Does the role involve something which could potentially be hazardous to pregnant women or breastfeeding mothers?

Moreisnnogedag Sun 02-Apr-17 23:04:49

Its just their equality info isn't it? I think good on them for looking to see if they are getting a diverse mix of people, plus they may aim to recruit from underrepresented areas.

PerspicaciaTick Sun 02-Apr-17 23:10:37

It says at the top of the form that the information will not be used for any recruitment decisions. I doubt that the page will even be passed to the people interviewing/deciding who to recruit.

Crispbutty Sun 02-Apr-17 23:12:04

It can't be illegal if you have the option to "prefer not to say"

LouBlue1507 Sun 02-Apr-17 23:24:21

Ah okay! I was just a bit hmm as I've never come across it before. Maybe I'm still bitter from losing my job when I was pregnant angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now