Talk

Advanced search

To think this will work?

(10 Posts)
sweetcarolines Sun 02-Apr-17 20:42:33

NC incase this is outing.
I've been friends with this person (i'll call her Sarah) for about 4 years. Know her pretty well, our kids play together.
Recently, I have been trying to find a cleaner. DH and I work FT - me 40hrs, him 60. 3 DCs. Finding time to fit everything in is tough. Im fed up with using precious family time to bloody mop floors and dust.
Had no luck finding a cleaner - in our area demand is higher than supply so they can get very expensive and know they are always working on their terms.
I had arranged a meeting with a potential cleaner over the weekend and she didnt show up. I told Sarah about this and the next day she offered to clean for me, for the rate i was willing to pay the cleaner.
Sarah works part time, 3 days a week and her kids are a bit older (mine are small). So she has the time to do this, and is glad of the opportunity to earn some extra cash. Seems like a win-win.
Another friend said she doesnt think Sarah should do the cleaning - incase it got in the way of our friendship or she damaged my home in any way.
I'm feeling quite positive about it - i would like some insight to any experiences you guys have had of this.
Did it work out? What basic ground rules did you lay down on both sides?
TIA

limon Sun 02-Apr-17 20:45:39

I totally wouldn't do this no. What if you're not happy with her standard of cleaning? How would you ever sack her if you needed to?

ThinEndOfASlipperySlope Sun 02-Apr-17 20:47:34

I had a friend as my cleaner for about 6 months. We had ground rules and a list of cleaning tasks.

I had to let her go to save our friendship and to get the cleaning done properly by someone who knows what she's doing

sweetcarolines Sun 02-Apr-17 20:48:42

I reckon i'd be happy with the standard... her own home is spotless - she is also a very hard worker.

happypoobum Sun 02-Apr-17 20:49:54

I would never mix business and friendship like this, no.

Moreisnnogedag Sun 02-Apr-17 20:52:25

I don't know it could work out. How much of an honest friendship do you have and also does she seem like the type to take the mick?

sweetcarolines Sun 02-Apr-17 20:54:39

More - i've no evidence to suggest she is anything other than honest. Dont think she would take the mick. She works really hard - volunteers for 3 different charitable / community organisations in her spare time

Allthebestnamesareused Sun 02-Apr-17 21:05:41

I had the same experience as thin end!! Don't mix business with friendships!

nicenewdusters Sun 02-Apr-17 21:06:58

Just bear in mind your home is a very personal space. Even if you tidy first, and she's very discreet, you'll still have things around your house that you might not usually share with a friend: financial letters/info, medicines, personal photos, lists you've made, etc.

Paying money to your friends, even if they do a good job - whatever that job is - can feel really strange. Then as others have said, what if she doesn't clean as you would wish? Or comes late/early/different day to suit her, as you're a friend so it's not like "a proper job" ?

Only you can judge any of the above, but ultimately it will change the dynamic between you, even if only subtly.

ohmygodyouguys Sun 02-Apr-17 21:09:10

Why not start with a trial basis for a couple of weeks to see how it goes? Then if you don't feel it's working you could let her know you've changed your mind, hopefully no hard feelings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now