Talk

Advanced search

To think this woman on the flight was rude?

(27 Posts)
Stelllllaaaa Sun 02-Apr-17 19:47:31

On a small flight ... seating is 1 seat on the left and 2 on the right (if relevant)

Walking to my seat and was held up by a woman putting her baggage away. I wait patiently. She turned to me and apologised and I smiled and said it was ok.

She finally got her bag in and then threw her handbag down on the seat next to her and sat down.

I then apologised to her and said that was my seat (the one with the handbag on) she then tutted and rolled her eyes as if I'd done it on purpose confused

She stood up and banged her head, which probably pissed her off more.

She then couldn't move from her seat fast enough to move into the single seat opposite after take off. Then when we landed she seemed to purposely block me from being to get out of my seat by standing in the way of the aisle when there was plenty of room for her to move up.

JamesDelaneysHat Sun 02-Apr-17 19:50:54

Ah the world is full of rude wankers and twats, you just unfortunately had to interact with one today.

maddiemookins16mum Sun 02-Apr-17 19:53:16

Maybe she was just a bad flyer, I used to be like that, I found the whole thing terribly claustrophobic (plus some people don't get the whole plane etiqutte thing).

SantanaLopez Sun 02-Apr-17 19:53:19

She stood up and banged her head, which probably pissed her off more

Did you laugh? I would have laughed grin

highinthesky Sun 02-Apr-17 19:54:04

Diagram?

Why didn't you call her out on her rudeness re: blocked sidle btw? That was clearly petty "revenge". Remeber the adage about little things pleasing little minds...

ExplodedCloud Sun 02-Apr-17 19:55:22

So you got 2 seats? Result.

Stelllllaaaa Sun 02-Apr-17 19:56:34

She stood up and banged her head, which probably pissed her off more

Did you laugh? I would have laughed

I did wet myself laughing inside grin ... and karma did flash into my head.

Maybe she was just a bad flyer

Maybe. I know I can't say for sure as I'm not her but she definitely didn't give that impression .. flicking through her magazine during the flight instructions, etc

ittakes2 Sun 02-Apr-17 20:04:22

I was standing in business class section and a lady opened the overhead locker on me and her heavy case fell heavily and hit me me rather painfully on the head. I stared at her in shock - she's just said "I didn't do it deliberately" and then she sat down. No attempt to see if I was all right or apologise. I was gobsmacked.

Gabilan Sun 02-Apr-17 20:12:22

On one flight I carefully checked where my seat was. I put a book and a water bottle on it whilst I put my bag in the overhead locker. I was standing very slightly to the side of the seat whilst doing this. A couple came along, peered at their tickets, one of them said to the other "well I don't know where it is, let's just sit here anyway". So he sat in the window seat and she sat in my aisle seat. On my stuff. Which was quite clearly there.

I may have erupted, a bit. Back then I didn't like flying very much. A very lovely flight attendant asked what was happening. I explained to him, calmly but with a hint of pissed off and stressed. He moved me and gave me an entire row to myself. He was lovely. He completely defused the situation very quickly which is presumably a key skill for flight attendants.

She was rude, OP. But she has to live with herself all the time, you just had to put up with her for one flight.

Sedona123 Sun 02-Apr-17 20:21:00

I think that I have sat next to her on a flight too! Was she French?

I was on a flight with my DSIS, I was in the middle seat and DSIS was in the aisle seat. When we got to our row Twatty French woman was sitting in her window seat, and rearranging two bags on my middle seat, which she carried on doing for a further 10 minutes whilst I perched on the arm rest waiting for her to finish. She did apologise a couple of times, but it didn't seem to occur to her that maybe she should stand up facing her own seat and do her rearranging! 😳😡😳

Stelllllaaaa Sun 02-Apr-17 20:22:25

She was rude, OP. But she has to live with herself all the time, you just had to put up with her for one flight.

Brilliant way to look at it, thank you.

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Sun 02-Apr-17 20:26:51

Did you write the word cunt on the roof of your mouth with your tongue ? (been suggested today on mn ?!)
Sounds like the occasion may have called for it tbh!!

Janeofalltrades1 Sun 02-Apr-17 20:35:38

From experience, I have learnt that saying sorry unnecessarily makes other people have the natural reaction to being angry with me as I have given them the impression that I am in the wrong. In your situation, I wouldn't say "sorry, that's my seat"(referring to the seat with the lady's handbag)

So, I have stopped saying sorry when I don't need to. I replace the word sorry with "excuse me".

Janeofalltrades1 Sun 02-Apr-17 20:35:57

And yes, that lady is extremely rude.

Whathaveilost Sun 02-Apr-17 20:38:26

You know the answer to your own question.
Never mind you probably will never see her again.

Pineapplemilkshake Sun 02-Apr-17 20:42:28

I think flying/going through airports brings out the worst in people, I travel a lot and have witnessed some dreadful behaviour.

StayAChild Sun 02-Apr-17 20:47:12

Ugh what is it that turns people into self entitled idiots, blind to the fact they are holding up all the pax trying to get on the plane, by ferreting around in the overhead locker?
Oh, I'll just get my book. Oh, maybe I'll need my tablet, perhaps my cardi, completely oblivious to the queue building up or the extra seats they are blocking with their crap.

We once boarded a flight in Paris to find a DOG in our seats. confused

springflowers11 Sun 02-Apr-17 20:56:36

But if there were 2 seats at one side of the aisle and one at the other and only 2 of the 3 booked, it is completely weird to both sit in the double seat.I can kind of see where she was coming from

Gabilan Sun 02-Apr-17 21:10:01

Springflowers - on one flight I was on, I was told that we should sit in our assigned seats until after take-off so the plane was balanced on take off. No idea if that was bull or not since these days you can pick your seat when you book online.

However, until everyone is seated you can't tell which, if any, seats are not taken so it's better to sit in the seat which is assigned to you.

Unless you're flying Ryan Air which I think might still be a free for all.

Stelllllaaaa Sun 02-Apr-17 21:13:32

But if there were 2 seats at one side of the aisle and one at the other and only 2 of the 3 booked, it is completely weird to both sit in the double seat.I can kind of see where she was coming from

Meh, I don't care that she moved seats. It was the whole dramatic sighing and eye rolling when I dared to ask to sit in my assigned seat that I found rude and just not needed.

Whathaveilost Sun 02-Apr-17 21:15:02

Unless you're flying Ryan Air which I think might still be a free for all

Sorry but you are wrong. Ryan Aur is allocated seating. You can choose in advance or have allocated seats.

Gabilan Sun 02-Apr-17 21:18:40

That's why I hedged my bets and said "I think might" not "is". I flew Ryan Air once, 15 years ago. Never again.

TabascoToastie Sun 02-Apr-17 21:20:31

Sorry, but not seeing what she did that was "rude"?

She was fussing and hit her head, and sounds like she was in a bit of a state.

She apologised to you.

She tutted and rolled her eyes, most likely at herself/the general situation.

She moved seats in order to give both of you more room.

She stood in the aisle.

How is that rude? She sounds really polite and considerate!

Stelllllaaaa Sun 02-Apr-17 21:36:06

How is that rude? She sounds really polite and considerate!

Really? confused

If you politely said .. oh sorry that's my seat, would you really expect them to huff, tut loudly at you and roll their eyes?

She came back up to my seat to get her stuff (she'd left her bag under the chair) and then when she moved it, I moved up to the aisle seat. so I could stand up (get my bag) and she stood there blocking my way. She had a lot of room in front of her.

Glad I don't live in your world where that's considered polite and considerate confused

Edballsisoneniftydancer Sun 02-Apr-17 21:46:37

her heavy case fell heavily and hit me me rather painfully on the head. I stared at her in shock - she's just said "I didn't do it deliberately"

Now I would give extortionate sums of money a) to have witnessed that and/or b) to have that level of 'I am absolutely right whatever happens' hard wired into me.

Hope you weren't badly hurt 'ittakes2*

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now