Talk

Advanced search

To want to cleanse my house with sage?

(26 Posts)
user1472582572 Sun 02-Apr-17 19:31:52

I've been in my house since summer last year. DS is one and since my pregnancy life has been a rollercoaster and even beforehand as well. The previous tenant of the property was quite dodgy by all accounts and left it in an appalling condition. I've had to do a lot of work to get it nice and habitable for me and DS. I want to get rid of all the negative energy and encourage postivity. I've read about doing a sage cleanse for your house as a way of repelling negative energy. I've got nasty neighbours as well and suffer from anxiety & depression, so I definitely need positivity. Does anyone know how I can do a sage cleanse? Where can I get the sage? Do I need to find someone special to do it?

chastenedButStillSmiling Sun 02-Apr-17 19:33:34

Garden centre? confused

Good luck

Mylittlestsunshine Sun 02-Apr-17 19:35:27

You can buy sage sticks from eBay and then google house cleansing.

AnneLovesGilbert Sun 02-Apr-17 19:35:29

You can get sage for cleansing on Amazon and there are simple tips on what to do lots of places online.

Another option is the sacred wood palo santo, also available on Amazon and places like etsy I think.

Remember to turn off your smoke alarm!

Asmoto Sun 02-Apr-17 19:35:37

Google is your friend here. I'd never heard of sage cleansing before your post but found instructions and products within minutes. Best of luck smile

Mylittlestsunshine Sun 02-Apr-17 19:37:11

Oh and not everyone likes the smell so after you have cleansed, leave the windows open for as long as possible.

SexTrainGlue Sun 02-Apr-17 19:37:34

You can do it yourself - if you Google 'smudging' you'll find lots of sites with tips/instructions, such as this one:

www.thespruce.com/how-to-smudge-your-house-1274692

I think the key thing is that you actually walk through all your living space, affirming that it is a safe safe in which you are content. The detail of the actions that accompany the thought are less important than the shift in your mind.

MrsTerryPratchett Sun 02-Apr-17 19:38:14

I work a lot with First Nations people and I do worry about cultural appropriation. But in this case, it's in your home and doing no harm...

NoLotteryWinYet Sun 02-Apr-17 19:40:41

I had a lovely friend in the US who swore by sage cleansing, I say go for it and move forward with happiness. I'd look at US alternative websites for information, if nothing else it smells lovely and is a mental 'new broom'

Elphame Sun 02-Apr-17 19:46:25

Don't use culinary sage - you need white sage. They are not the same nor are they interchangeable

Even better forget the sage and the cultural appropriation and use bramble stems which is the traditional UK herb for smoke cleansing. You could also use mugwort but it's a little harder to get hold of.

UnmentionedElephantDildo Sun 02-Apr-17 19:53:41

Or go for the Christian version and use church incense (frankincense, isn't it?)

user1472582572 Sun 02-Apr-17 20:07:13

Yes. Good point about the cultural appropriation. I feel quite ashamed as well seeing as I am a WOC that I hadn't thought of that. I shall get the bramble stems instead.

MrsTerryPratchett Sun 02-Apr-17 20:16:55

I feel quite ashamed Goodness, no. None of the First Nations elders I know would want a person in pain to feel ashamed.

It would be lovely to use smoke that was indigenous. I didn't know until this thread that bramble could be used. Every day is a school day!

originalbiglymavis Sun 02-Apr-17 20:20:52

I bought it was a pagan thing.

Screwinthetuna Sun 02-Apr-17 20:30:39

Holistic shops smell 'smudging sticks,' they're bundles of sage. I did it once and OH was pissed off. The whole thing was like a comedy show...I was going from room to room wafting around these smoky sticks while he moaned, 'fuckin' hell, will you stop that shit, it stinks, it's giving me a headache, making my eyes sting and getting me in a bad fuckin' mood!' I liked it though grin

Screwinthetuna Sun 02-Apr-17 20:32:03

Sell not smell!

Mermaidinthesea123 Sun 02-Apr-17 20:32:11

i do sage cleanses sometimes - sage from the garden, dry in airing cupboard. Tie into a bundle with string or similar and when completely dry set fire to the end. Take a non flammable plate or container with you or you will set fire to the floor as bits fall off it.
Follow up with salt and water sprinkled around every room then stand in the main reception room and recite something life affirming or something from a religious text.
Open all the windows for a few hours as well to let the fresh air in.
Bramble is nice as it's for protection, healing and prosperity and is an emotional, watery, feminine plant that relates to the planet of love Venus.

MaidenMotherCrone Sun 02-Apr-17 20:32:30

Or you could use incense like this and say something like this.

Mysterycat23 Sun 02-Apr-17 20:34:46

The sage smudging sticks smell lovely. Go for it OP!

NoLotteryWinYet Sun 02-Apr-17 20:35:12

What mermaid says rings a bell - what's the harm? Might be pagan, no less valid than any other belief system and if it helps you feel more positive..

Pineapplemilkshake Sun 02-Apr-17 20:39:17

Well, it does smell nice so by all means do it, however we tried this in my workplace. Sadly there is still a horrible bitchy atmosphere and things still seem to go wrong all the time so I can't say it was successful!

chipauchoc Sun 02-Apr-17 20:43:27

Bramble is nice as it's for protection, healing and prosperity and is an emotional, watery, feminine plant that relates to the planet of love Venus
This is just what I need right now, I didn't know you could use bramble. Just regular bramble bushes?

OnceMoreIntoTheBleach Sun 02-Apr-17 20:45:41

I'm sure it is pagan as it was looking into that that brought me to it.

I bought mine from amazon grin

whirlygirly Sun 02-Apr-17 20:53:28

Oh my god, I'd love to do it at work but it would probably set all the alarms off and get me sacked. grin
Did it at home a couple of years back - Definitely felt different and I was thinking the other day of doing it again.

Elphame Sun 02-Apr-17 21:05:58

Yes just regular bramble and it's an old cunningfolk trick so not exactly pagan although it has been heavily adopted by the pagansphere.

Do each room in turn ending up by the front door. Once your done you need to replace the energy you've just cleaned out with something nice - nature abhors a vacuum. So maybe light some incense ( if you have any), play your favourite music, bake a cake, anything really that makes you feel good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now