Talk

Advanced search

To think iPhone 6 is not the right phone for under 15s?

(86 Posts)
KarmaNoMore Sun 02-Apr-17 19:20:21

So... between Christmas and his birthday, DS has managed to put together enough amazon vouchers to get a sim free iPhone 6.

According to him, EVERYONE at school has an iPhone 6. Everyone!

I think he is trying to trick me into agreeing to it. Yes, it is his money but I am the one paying for the network and I have no plans whatsoever to pay for anything but wifi, texts and 500 minutes of talk time (he already has that in his current phone and never uses it).

I don't want him to spend yet even more time online or accessing the internet at school time or while walking home so he won't have further connectivity than that.

So the question is, are there really many young teens carrying an iPhone 6? And if yours has one, could you please tell me how many hours of after school study your teen does a week?

19lottie82 Sun 02-Apr-17 19:22:46

My 2 DSDs (13 and 17) both have an iPhone 6. I wouldn't say everyone in their school has one but it's a very common handset.

He's saved up his own money, let him buy it. Just buy him a PAYG sim with limited data and make him leave it downstairs when he goes to bed.

EssentialHummus Sun 02-Apr-17 19:22:57

You won't need to pay for anything more - the current data seems more than adequate.

I don't have a teen so can't comment on who has what, but he has saved up for it, clearly wants it, it's his lookout if it falls/breaks/goes walkies - why stop him? What does it matter what the others have?

19lottie82 Sun 02-Apr-17 19:23:29

PS the ip6 is 2 and a half years old now so hardly an extravagant handset in the grand scheme of things.

Floofborksnootandboop Sun 02-Apr-17 19:23:34

My 14 yo, 15 soon, has a 7 before that she'd had a 6s for 2 years.
She does an hours homework and revision every evening.

LankySara Sun 02-Apr-17 19:31:15

13/14 year olds having iPhone 6...7 ? Wow !

HermioneJeanGranger Sun 02-Apr-17 19:32:00

Meh, the 6 is hardly a new handset now, it's been out for a couple of years.

I don't see a problem with it.

GreenGinger2 Sun 02-Apr-17 19:33:07

Mine have all got an IPhone SE and that is better than most. 6 not really necessary.Tesco have quite good rates.

ArriettyClock1 Sun 02-Apr-17 19:33:47

My 14 year old has an iPhone 6, he reckons all his friends do, some have a 7. No big deal nowadays.

Notthemessiah Sun 02-Apr-17 19:34:23

I'd have concerns about any expensive handset - makes it a much more appealing target for thieving scrotes other kids. Not sure I see a great difference between £100 and £500 handsets either - like designer trainers, it's more about flashing the cash than anything else.

LankySara Sun 02-Apr-17 19:35:29

Exactly Not

celtiethree Sun 02-Apr-17 19:35:49

My two teens have an iphone6. Seems pretty common amongst their friends.

Crunchyside Sun 02-Apr-17 19:36:24

Most teens that have one probably just got it as a hand-me-down at the end of a parent's contract when they upgraded to the 7.

All my phones until I was about 18 were handed down from my parents when their contracts run out and they were all pretty decent handsets! (Was a teen in the 2000s)

kingscrossnoodle Sun 02-Apr-17 19:41:48

Really common for high school age kids to have iPhones.

harderandharder2breathe Sun 02-Apr-17 19:42:32

I'm on my second iphone6, having had a two year contract with the first, six months into the same with my current one, only upgraded to slightly more memory. It's not the latest model anymore.

He's saved up his own money which is admirable, he can spend it on what he wants. Better a phone than mindless tat

justnowords Sun 02-Apr-17 19:43:03

I would have thought most teens have an iphone se/6/7. Not that unusual at all. Cant even see how you could deny him if he is using his own money. How would you justify that?

Tinkerbec Sun 02-Apr-17 19:46:12

I work in a school in not the most affluent areas. A lot of kids have iPhone 7's.

Alot of kids have smashed screens too of all varying types of phone.

JenniferYellowHat1980 Sun 02-Apr-17 19:51:41

sad can't imagine this ever being affordable for us. Hadn't really considered what happens in 6 or 7 years' time when the DCs get to the stage of wanting phones.

ZanyMobster Sun 02-Apr-17 19:53:22

There are loads of my DSs friends who have iphone 6s, some have 7s. They are Y4 and Y6. My DS1 has a mid range Samsung and my DS2 has an ipod touch as I don't feel it's necessary at 8 for him to have a phone so it's a decent compromise IMO. Not a fan of iphones so I wasn't that keen on getting DS1 one as a phone but I can't really see a massive issue, it's just a phone and I really don't think it makes it a huge theft target as it's not particularly new anymore.

LankySara Sun 02-Apr-17 20:22:10

zany I think it's because iPhones are very expensive to repair once broken. Yr 4 and Yr 6 children having iPhones ?!! Dear lord.

ShelaghTurner Sun 02-Apr-17 20:33:12

My yr 4 has an iPod touch but when she gets to the point of wanting a phone then she will have iPhones. We're an Apple household so she'll get the hand me downs. Wouldn't buy an android phone anyway. It's not that big a deal these days.

justgivemethepinot Sun 02-Apr-17 20:43:00

My ds has one, he went through a phase of having his nose in it but seems bored of it now. Keeps up with his schoolwork and reading so no issues there.

MrsWicket Sun 02-Apr-17 21:02:52

Most of the kids at DD's school have iPhone 6's and some have 7's. I think iPhone 5 and 5s will be phased out soon, so there's no choice tbh

RicottaPancakes Sun 02-Apr-17 21:19:42

What do people mean by it's not a big deal these days? And why do children need phones?

wildpoppiesanddaisies Sun 02-Apr-17 21:21:05

To be honest they all have them in schools I've worked with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now