Talk

Advanced search

To think my neighbour is a prick? Dog related.

(38 Posts)
FataliePorkman Sun 02-Apr-17 17:54:14

Moved into a new house a month ago. Big deal as been saving for many years and managed to get a bargain in a small town a short commute from London.

Anyway- the issue. I have two Rottweilers. Both very friendly, loving and well trained. Never had any issue with them.

Neighbour has three terrier type dogs. Her fence (it is hers at her own admission) is damaged to the right hand side of our garden- and her dogs are constantly coming into ours. Asked politely many times for them to repair the fence and even offered to pay and they aren't having any of it.

I crate the dogs outside during the day for a few hours while I'm working or if my cleaner is here as she isn't a fan of big dogs. Neighbours dogs will come in to our garden at yap at the crate, yap at them if they are in the patio door from the kitchen to the garden and foul in our garden. They will also chase our cat who fortunately is like lightning and gets on OK with our two- or more they just keep out of each others way.

Anyway neighbour has gone away this weekend. Someone came round to feed the dogs last night but they left them outside which meant I had to put up with them hacking in my own garden all night, yet again had to pick up another persons dogs shit and they have dug up some of the flower borders I worked on all day yesterday angry

AIBU to call dog warden and say I've found the little shits abandoned somewhere and bill my neighbour for the damage to my garden?

MrsTwix Sun 02-Apr-17 17:55:45

I think I'd probably double up the fence on your side, just leave her fence alone and put up a new one next to it for your own sanity.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Sun 02-Apr-17 17:56:10

Can't you just repair the fence from your side, or put up some sort of barrier? Yes your neighbours are being twats, but surely just securing your garden is the easiest way to sort this?

PlayOnWurtz Sun 02-Apr-17 17:56:11

Nail a board over the gap on your side and warn her if you catch them on your side again you will call the dog warden

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Sun 02-Apr-17 17:57:13

Put a fence in on your side and fling their dog shit back over the fence.

PolterGoose Sun 02-Apr-17 17:57:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NinjaPosse Sun 02-Apr-17 17:58:50

"Put a fence on your side" will be the new "Cancel the cheque" grin

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Sun 02-Apr-17 17:59:05

If it "accidentally" hit their windows or patio doors that would be a shame.

DoloresTheRunawayTrain Sun 02-Apr-17 18:00:06

Fence for your side, so she can't complain you have damaged hers in any way. Then you don't have to put up with her little darlings or their turds.

Semaphorically Sun 02-Apr-17 18:00:12

I'd just put up a small fence on your side. Or plant berberis in every single gap?

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Sun 02-Apr-17 18:00:17

Nice 6 foot fence on your side will do the trick. .

ClaudiaWankleman Sun 02-Apr-17 18:01:31

I think YWBU to let the dog warden know. I don't trust the welfare of animals in council control.

But YWNBU to pursue damages, or make an anti-social behaviour report. I would definitely count this as antisocial and irresponsible. A terrier could easily nip a child in your garden. The fact that you have big dogs doesn't mean you can't be at risk of her small ones!

DoloresTheRunawayTrain Sun 02-Apr-17 18:03:21

Haha just saw the fence on your side is the new cancel the cheque. It's so true but unfortunately probably your only solution if she won't let you repair/replace the fence that already exists.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Sun 02-Apr-17 18:06:48

The cancel the cheque thing was when the OP had explained way back on the thread, but people kept bloody saying it as they hadn't read the thread.

This isn't the same, it's the obvious solution which is why lots of people have said it

OliviaBenson Sun 02-Apr-17 18:08:56

Hang on, she's left the dogs on their own for a weekend? I'd be calling the rspca. Even with someone coming to feed that is neglect.

tabulahrasa Sun 02-Apr-17 18:11:44

"Hang on, she's left the dogs on their own for a weekend? I'd be calling the rspca. Even with someone coming to feed that is neglect."

Not just alone, but outside in an unsecured garden...

Yep RSPCA from me as well

ijustwannadance Sun 02-Apr-17 18:17:51

I would've chucked her dog shit back over the fence.
She is being a complete bellend not getting the fence fixed, especially as you offered to pay!. Board it up on your side x c

User998877 Sun 02-Apr-17 18:18:12

I'd personally put my own fence up ASAP, just make sure it isn't touching theirs.

In the meantime you could call the RSPCA but will this antagonise the neighbour further and cause things to escalate.

user1483387154 Sun 02-Apr-17 18:19:18

double up the fence or at least put extra pannels your side where it is broken

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Sun 02-Apr-17 18:21:56

I'd let your dogs eat them, tbh.

I'm not a fan of yapper-type dogs though.

SecretNetter Sun 02-Apr-17 18:26:34

I don't really understand why the massive deal op? Just block up the hole from your side.

Also, if it's her fence and there's no other barrier then it's worth bearing in mind that your own garden is also insecure at your own fault.

tabulahrasa Sun 02-Apr-17 18:26:35

Oh and... I'd be phoning the RSPCA because those dogs are being neglected not because it's annoying that they're coming in your garden btw.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Sun 02-Apr-17 18:27:14

Has anyone suggested putting a fence up your side? grin

HereThereThen Sun 02-Apr-17 18:29:47

Yep, what everyone else said.

I wonder why OP hadn't thought of it?🤔

SusieOwl4 Sun 02-Apr-17 18:32:11

Put up your own fence and put the poo back on their side. We had the same with a neighbour and offered to pay but they refused . So we just did our own just inside the boundary. The dogs where we are now actually bit through our fence it was like one of those old cartoons where they saw through. But the neighbours did not repair it so we just did it as I did not want their dogs getting at ours.
Also perhaps a note saying that if their dogs get onto your land you cannot guarantee your dogs behaviour. Perhaps then they will get the hint.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now