Talk

Advanced search

To ask for trousers to suit a pear shape?

(24 Posts)
eclipse16 Sun 02-Apr-17 17:34:56

Posting here for traffic. Can any of you please recommend some casual trousers for a pear shape? Size 12 bottom and 10 top. Wide legs make me look like thunder thighs and skinny make me look like sausage legs! Also side pockets never sit right. If any of you have come across something flattering then I'd be very grateful if you could share. Thanks!

Meekonsandwich Sun 02-Apr-17 17:38:27

High wasted boot leg?

Girlsinthegarden Sun 02-Apr-17 17:53:54

Monsoon is always my first port of call. Next good too.

MrsTwix Sun 02-Apr-17 17:57:57

Next seem to be well cut for pear shape.

Semaphorically Sun 02-Apr-17 17:58:14

Straight leg slim fit jeans in reasonably heavy denim so it holds its shape at the top. I'm a similar shape. I tend to just trawl websites like asos looking for the right shape.

Neverknowing Sun 02-Apr-17 18:00:05

I go for a stretchy size ten so they sort of pull in my thighs? I really like misguided high waisted in a size ten? Worth a try!!

eclipse16 Sun 02-Apr-17 20:06:46

Thanks all! Will take a look

ocelot41 Sun 02-Apr-17 20:13:09

For work - Winder's miracle trousers are your friend

ocelot41 Sun 02-Apr-17 20:13:41

Winser

CreamCheez Sun 02-Apr-17 20:18:48

I like Capri pants & slim ones that end above the ankle. GAP do some flattering styles. Used to wear flares back in the day to balance my hips, but they don't look too sophisticated on me now...

eclipse16 Sun 02-Apr-17 20:19:08

Thanks Ocelot! Great for work but really want a casual pair if they exist! Although I think I will order them anyway for work as they look great...
I went on the Next website and saw these, although they are Lipsy. What do you think? Would they suit a pear shape? I'm so rubbish at shopping! http://www.next.co.uk/gl8280s13#l37585

Semaphorically Sun 02-Apr-17 20:22:52

The pleats at the front are unlikely to be flattering. I think flat fronted is better for pear shapes.

eclipse16 Sun 02-Apr-17 20:29:16

Thanks Sema, good point!

eclipse16 Tue 04-Apr-17 17:49:24

Ladies had to share, just found the most flattering pair of trousers I've ever come across. Nearly didn't try them on as they have an elasticated waste and seemed a bit old fashioned. But they fit like a dream and make my legs look so long and thin! I ended up getting a 14 which is a size bigger, as they sit looser but I have a really small waist and they fit my waist perfectly. No need to take them in. I just wish they did this in more styles and colours
http://jameslakeland.net/clothing/trousers-and-skirts/cropped-patterened-trousers-12009.html

Henrysmycat Tue 04-Apr-17 17:56:39

Whatever you buy, please don't buy bootcut. If there's one thing that say "frumpy" and "I've given up" is the bootcut in 2017. I'd rather be called fat in skinny jeans than frumpy.
I'm of similar shape. You really need to try things. I go for straight leg jeans in good thick fabric to hold me in preferred in dark blue colours. I'm not loyal to any brand. Zara's medium in trousers is ok for my pear shaped 10-up/12-down shape but I'm short, it might be a bit short if you're taller.

AnotherEmma Tue 04-Apr-17 18:03:18

I have some Next chinos that are comfy and flattering. Get my jeans from Gap. I find slim/straight leg is best - I steer well clear of skinny! And don't like bootleg or flares.

eclipse16 Tue 04-Apr-17 18:16:04

Haha so true about the bootcuts Henrys! Fashion right now is not designed for the pear shaped at all!
AnotherEmma, I tried on some Next Chinos but the pockets just gaped open on either side. Do you have the link to the ones you have please? If they still sell them that is!

Semaphorically Tue 04-Apr-17 18:34:20

I sew up or completely remove the pockets on all pairs of trousers I buy. (Or more often pay someone who knows what they're doing to do it!)

AnotherEmma Tue 04-Apr-17 18:36:27

I'm afraid I got the Next chinos a few years ago now. Maybe they've changed the style/cut or we just have a slightly different shape.
These might be worth a try:
m.zalando.co.uk/zalando-essentials-chinos-navy-za821aa06-k13.html
I don't have that exact pair but got the maternity version and they fit me really well. Good quality and value I thought. They come up a bit small so you might need a bigger size than you'd normally get.

eclipse16 Tue 04-Apr-17 18:39:37

Thanks Emma, will give them a go!

PsychedelicSheep Tue 04-Apr-17 20:08:03

I have exactly this problem, it's so frustrating! All the jeans available are either skinnier (which I've finally accepted I just cannot pull off), or horrible frumpy 'mum' jeans.

I refuse to shop in Next, the cut of their clothes is so frumpy and unfashionable, but could give Gap a try maybe?

NancyDonahue Tue 04-Apr-17 20:12:56

I must defend the bootcut! Very flattering you're wide of hip/bottom. Look great with a fitted top and wedges.

UppityHumpty Tue 04-Apr-17 22:02:11

GAP have exactly the same trousers as Lakeland but half the price. I personally prefer GAP as a pear shaped woman with a tiny waist - their authentic ranges with reduced stretch is really good.

80sMum Tue 04-Apr-17 22:20:13

I too am very pear shaped and struggle to find trousers that fit. I am size 8 bust, size 10 waist and size 12 hips. In order to get trousers to fit my hips and thighs, I often have to get ones that are miles too big on the waist and then use a belt to hold them up.

I have had a few successes recently though. Jasper Conran high waist jeans from Debenhams in size 12 are a great fit, and Next shape enhancing jeans in size 10 also fit.

I usually find that a slight flare or boot cut is more flattering than a straight leg style.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now