Talk

Advanced search

Sertraline cold turkey

(32 Posts)
andshewillbeloved Sun 02-Apr-17 17:21:44

I'm on 100mg of Sertraline but missed 2 earlier this week and barely noticed. I used to feel jittery even if I took it an hour or 2 later than usual.

So now it's been 5 days and I still haven't taken any. I feel fine apart from my hands are shaking.

Should I carry on without or will this end in disaster?

MyBeloved Sun 02-Apr-17 17:23:36

How long have you been taking sertraline? It's not advisable to just stop. I'd suggest seeing your GP.

Fizzball Sun 02-Apr-17 17:28:19

If you feel you are ready to stop taking the sertraline then I really think you should speak to your GP.
I used to randomly stop taking my sertraline because I thought I was fine but then I would start feeling like shit around day 5 or 6 so I'd realise I wasn't ready to come off them, then I'd start again and go through all the horrible side effects again.

HeyCat Sun 02-Apr-17 17:32:10

I think that's a bad idea. Could you take half doses for a while, then quarter doses, then stop?

Meekonsandwich Sun 02-Apr-17 17:32:57

It stays in your system for weeks, and you can suddenly go downhill so unless it's on the advice of your doctor I wouldn't just stop taking It. You should always cut down slowly. I cut down on all 4 of my medication very slowly and I would be okay for a few days and then get the shakes and sweat and night terrors. This can go on for weeks.

CourageCamille Sun 02-Apr-17 17:43:04

I did this, thought I was all fixed and everything was marvellous with my world and about a month later had a massive anxiety crash and had to go back to the doctor to beg for a new prescription. Please come off them properly a little bit at a time!

andshewillbeloved Sun 02-Apr-17 17:44:50

I've been on them for 18 months now.

I'll carry on with them but maybe take 50mg a day and see how that goes. I know this "cured" feeling must be too good to be true

Neverknowing Sun 02-Apr-17 17:52:11

My DP starts getting the shakes after a few days and says he feels weird get back on them ASAP op! If you want to stop taking them talk to your gp smile

Whatthefudger Sun 02-Apr-17 17:54:42

Slight hijack, but I've just started on these. Would anyone know how long the side effects last. I'm dying of heartburn

SteppingOnToes Sun 02-Apr-17 17:55:44

Depending on the dose, going turkey on sertraline can be fatal. Please be careful and discuss this with your GP

CharliesSister Sun 02-Apr-17 17:57:33

I've been on them for a month (50mg) and have been lucky enough to not experience any side effects. But then again my life went tits up and I had a nervous breakdown, so its probably more likely I just simply didn't notice.

Is there a specific reason you want to stop taking them OP if they're helping?

louise55 Sun 02-Apr-17 18:38:32

Oh gosh NO. I have been on and off Prozac for years, ten years ago I went cold turkey was massively proud of myself, Jesus did I have a fall from grace I hit rock bottom with full force!!! I have been on Sertraline now for two years, its my lifeline, if I miss a couple of days god do I know it. Please don't be fooled by feeling fine your body still has it inside the minute it is gone you will feel terrible please see your GP xx

Littleelffriend Sun 02-Apr-17 18:50:19

I've just come off them after discussing with my doctor last Wednesday. I was on 50mg a day. She told me to take one every second day for two weeks then stop.

Spottyladybird Sun 02-Apr-17 18:53:02

My DH was on 100mg, he's just cut his dose (under gp advice) to 50mg. To really important to speak to your dr.

Bobbins43 Sun 02-Apr-17 20:12:44

Please carry on taking them and see your GP if you want to cut down. Thinking you are OK and don't need anti depressants can be part of your illness. Going cold turkey is absolutely awful. I've rarely felt so awful in my life. Please take your medication now and see your GP as soon as you can.

Neverknowing Sun 02-Apr-17 20:14:11

@whatthefudger DP had this! Worst pain I've seen him in. Ask your Dr about Omeprazole smile

Stormtreader Mon 03-Apr-17 10:59:56

If you are changing Sertraline dosages, dont do "one day on, one day off" as it only has an effective life of a day - you'll get far more side effects doing alternate days. Im not sure why GPs say "it doesnt matter which way you do it" when the medical documentation on it is clear that alternating days just means you get withdrawal every other day. Its better to keep the dose consistent and change the amount.

Littleelffriend Mon 03-Apr-17 11:42:52

Stormtreader are you a doctor?

CouldntMakeThisShitUp Mon 03-Apr-17 14:29:59

i get brain-zaps if i've missed a couple of doses grin

Morphene Mon 03-Apr-17 14:35:09

Going cold turkey is usually a terrible idea.

The half life of the drug is about a day, so you will oscillate a lot if you do 1 on 1 off. I would recommend smooth decrease over the order of weeks.

It doesn't take weeks for you to clear the drug clearly, even 5 days is almost enough, but the physiological response to the change in drug level is much slower.

Doctors often tell you it takes several months to know if it is having a positive effect when you start taking it (although that may be due to the fact the feckers barely beat placebo on effectiveness). So I would expect it to take order of months to recognise if the effects are wearing off in a negative sense when you stop taking it.

CarrieBradshaw85 Mon 03-Apr-17 18:35:23

DO NOT DO THIS!!!!

andshewillbeloved Mon 03-Apr-17 19:56:41

Back on my usual dose. I was beginning to feel terrible and wondered what on earth I was thinking missing so many!

flumpsnshit Mon 03-Apr-17 20:01:57

Brain zaps are bloody evil when you miss too many

Littleelffriend Mon 03-Apr-17 20:23:30

What are brain zaps?

Hillfarmer Mon 03-Apr-17 20:28:16

Go see your GP OP. No point in trying this on your own. Get some advice. I tried coming off Sertraline on my own very gradually, but I don't think I was ready. I got horribly weepy and went to pieces very easily. Went to see my GP about it and she upped the dose!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now