Talk

Advanced search

To think that referring to yourself in the 3rd person when your child is 8 is a bit odd?

(36 Posts)
Falconhoof1 Sun 02-Apr-17 17:16:43

There's a mum at the school who talks to her 8 year old like he's a baby- eg "mummy is just going to go and speak to your teacher", "mummy will pick you up after school". Don't most people stop all that in the toddler years and start saying "l am going to.." etc? Gives me the rage! confused

ineedamoreadultieradult Sun 02-Apr-17 17:18:50

I dont think ive ever refered to myself in the 3rd person even when the kids were babies or toddlers it makes my teeth itch.

Birdsgottaf1y Sun 02-Apr-17 17:20:39

It's strange that you're so bothered by another person's behavior, who you have limited contact with, tbh.

my2bundles Sun 02-Apr-17 17:20:50

My son is 9 and I still do it. Gives you rage? Really? Maybe you should concentrate on your own kids.

Falconhoof1 Sun 02-Apr-17 17:20:51

Not sure i did either tbh but certainly not when they are fully able to understand what"I" meansgrin

mailfuckoff Sun 02-Apr-17 17:21:15

There are reasons why she maybe doing this. As adoptive parents we did a lot of this as your child needs to learn you are now mum and dad. Sometimes I still do it as it became a habit. Not worth judging over

TeenAndTween Sun 02-Apr-17 17:21:47

I still do it occasionally. My 12yo gets muddled with pronouns sometimes, so if I want to be absolutely sure she gets the message then I say Mummy rather than I.

knackeredinyorkshire Sun 02-Apr-17 17:21:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dawnviews Sun 02-Apr-17 17:22:17

That would give me the rage too. Sounds weird.

missyB1 Sun 02-Apr-17 17:26:37

I still do it sometimes, ds is 8. I dont use all the silly words knackered just described but I will say something like "can you start your homework whilst mummy has a shower"

WhitePhantom Sun 02-Apr-17 17:33:51

Mil (best in the world😊) does this sometimes, specially when talking to DD (10). "Granny doesn't know how to play that game", "Granny is feeling a bit tired". I can't figure it out!

Or she might talk to me about me in the 3rd person "Oh White got her hair cut" or whatever. I'm often tempted to look very interested and say "Oh did she?! What's it like?" 😆

Falconhoof1 Sun 02-Apr-17 17:41:06

Come to think of it I think my mum did that too White!

WhingingTulip Sun 02-Apr-17 17:48:49

My mum does this to my son's. My eldest is nearly 20!!! Drives me potty!!

Miniwookie Sun 02-Apr-17 18:49:45

Wtf? YANBU. I've heard people do this to babies and toddlers, which is bad enough, but an 8yo?!

Aeroflotgirl Sun 02-Apr-17 18:52:22

Nothing wrong with it, I sometimes do it with the young DC.

Gallavich Sun 02-Apr-17 18:58:37

I wouldn't do it and I think it's a bit twee, but it doesn't annoy me too much. I don't understand those who refer to themselves as mummy with 8 and older kids though, surely they don't call you mummy? confused

iwouldgoouttonight Sun 02-Apr-17 19:04:21

My MIL does this with our DCs (age 10 and 8). It winds me up more than it should, but then I have issues with her anyway so I know I'm being irrational.

It seems bonkers though; 'Granny is going to sit down now'. Is she? Who is this other granny you're talking about?? confused

Okite Sun 02-Apr-17 19:07:23

Oh my god my DH still does this, it drives me insane! He just hasn't got out of the habit yet, despite repeated kind hissed reminders.

Softkitty2 Sun 02-Apr-17 19:14:14

Really? I think some people have too much time on their hands.

Looking for things to be offended or 'enraged' about.
How does someone speaking in the 3rd person affect you?

GooodMythicalMorning Sun 02-Apr-17 19:17:43

I probably do this. Does it really matter in the scheme of things?

JonesyAndTheSalad Sun 02-Apr-17 19:18:17

You'd hate my MIL. She still does a baby voice when speaking to my enormous children.

corythatwas Sun 02-Apr-17 19:19:46

Absolutely. This is something you should only do when they are 16 and you want to wind them up <evil cackle>

DontTouchTheMoustache Sun 02-Apr-17 19:24:13

"Gives me the rage"
"Makes my teeth itch"
This is like MN bingo! grin

TheHiphopopotamus Sun 02-Apr-17 19:24:14

My mother does this with my dc. It drives me up the fucking wall and I don't know why, exactly. Dc are 10 & 13. (I think it's like knackered said though, with the performance that goes with it).

I suppose we do it to babies and toddlers to get them used to calling us Mummy and Daddy or whatever. But my DC are now old to know what to call relatives, ffs hmm

VictoriaMcdade Sun 02-Apr-17 19:43:40

I try not to do it, but sometimes I forget.

I think it's just a habit that I got into when they were little, especially as DS1 had some hearing and development issues, so I did a lot of talking/explaining.

I'm trying to wean myself off it though as I know it's a bit odd.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now