Talk

Advanced search

To be pissed with DH for spending £100 on food that might last is 4days?

(102 Posts)
Rinkydinkypink Sun 02-Apr-17 12:44:25

I gave him a list. He spent £100 on a dont know what! Packed lunches and dinners for 4people. Hes got 1 cucumber, 1 lettuce, 5 tomatoes, 4 carrots. 1 thin crust (bloody expensive) chicken pizza (my kids dont eat chicken pizza and my eldest and dh will eat a whole pizza each). 6 cereal bars, 4 yogurts. Etc etc. Im ill so he did the food shop. Im now going to have to go again as I'm working all next week and weve got enough till probably Wednesday at a push. You can tell he never cooks the bloody tea. Hes cross with me. Says why did he bother. Im not very amusedangry

JonesyAndTheSalad Sun 02-Apr-17 12:49:05

Did he say why he didn't follow the list?

BewtySkoolDropowt Sun 02-Apr-17 12:49:31

Can't you order online, either for delivery or click and collect?

Did you tell him how many tomatoes you wanted?

MidnightVelvetthe7th Sun 02-Apr-17 12:51:05

Well on the up side his shop means you don't have to shop again til midweek.

And maybe the kids don't eat chicken pizza because you don't buy it? Seems a bit controlling to be cross with him because he didn't stick exactly to your list & nothing else?

Hope you feel better soon brew

WonkoTheSane42 Sun 02-Apr-17 12:51:12

My dad can somehow go to the shop and spend tons, come back with bags and bags of stuff, and yet somehow not have got anything you could make dinner with. Is this a male thing?

OliviaBenson Sun 02-Apr-17 12:52:45

Send him back! Don't do it yourself. Why didn't he follow the list? I'd be really cross.

jumpingjellyfishsquids Sun 02-Apr-17 12:53:07

Definitely not a male thing. Just an annoying thing.

My DH shops every week. Not sure why, but it's just more convenient. He makes a list, meal plans then cooks it too. We both work full time.

Rinkydinkypink Sun 02-Apr-17 12:54:26

He followed some of the list but got either not enough or the most expensive option.

I should have done an online order. I prefer to pick my own fresh food and i thought as a grown man with a list surely he could do one shop!

ThePinkOcelot Sun 02-Apr-17 12:56:17

Just do it online, either for delivery or click and collect. He must have got more than what you have said though surely, for £100.
Not worth falling out over.

Asmoto Sun 02-Apr-17 12:56:55

It sounds like you need to give him a very specific list in future - exact brand, topping and size of pizza, exact number of tomatoes and so forth.

ThePinkOcelot Sun 02-Apr-17 12:57:15

Saying that, I wouldn't send my DH, because he'd do the same!

canyou Sun 02-Apr-17 12:58:19

Is there enough to feed everyone until wed/thur? If so just use what you have and do a online shop for the next shop if you cannot get out to the shops.
I usually do the food shop but DP this week did and added €40 to it by buying me gf stuff he thought I needed or would like as a treat, he also spent an extra €30 on food DSS 'has' to eat as he hates everything else (DSS is 20 yro) so what, it is a one off. I gritted my teeth smiled and said thank you. Life is too short

Grilledaubergines Sun 02-Apr-17 12:59:08

Why is the list something you control? Maybe he wanted to have a bit of say in how the family eat, encourage something new.

If you need to control the food in the house and you won't have deviation then that's your choice and something you'll need to do yourself.

JonesyAndTheSalad Sun 02-Apr-17 13:00:45

Grilled well if he does, one pizza won't feed them will it!??

limitedperiodonly Sun 02-Apr-17 13:01:20

What else did he buy? I'm coming to about £12 there. It's quite a lot but you don't eat the vegetables in one go. I'm guessing the pizza was £5 and I'd eat nearly all of one meant for two to myself. Not a chicken one though. Chicken on pizza is wrong.

EweAreHere Sun 02-Apr-17 13:01:49

He sounds like a jerk, tbh. He should have an idea what the children will/won't eat, what food is needed to get through the week, etc, and have been able to compare prices.

Sensible shopping does not require ovaries. He should have take then time to do it right,

Thattimeofyearagain Sun 02-Apr-17 13:02:45

My dh did similar when I had horrendous morning sickness with dd.
After that I insisted that he came shopping with me every week.
Oh & he paid for his piss poor shop ( one pint of milk for 2 adults and one toddler for a week, 1 small steak, 2 cartons of Ice cream , pate and blue cheese hmm) out of his own spends grin

Rinkydinkypink Sun 02-Apr-17 13:05:13

Bloody expensive tubs of ice cream that weren't on the list and the kids are now fighting over them. angry. 4 chicken breasts that must have be looked after by virgin hill tribesmen to justify the cost. Organic, eco friendly cereal bars that I've never seen at £1 each (ffs). Both kids got magazines for £5 each (erm really!) Normally it wouldn't bother me as much but today I feel terrible. In the 2nd week of chest infection and tonsillitis and it's affecting me. However it's not that bloody difficult to shop for a family for a week with a list. Surely logic would intervene!

happypoobum Sun 02-Apr-17 13:05:49

There must be change from £100 with just those things surely?

Grilledaubergines Sun 02-Apr-17 13:05:51

HBO jonesey it won't. And if he's allowed to do the shopping again he'll probably have realised that by then.

When I first started shopping, having lived at home and then moving in with a partner, I had no idea at all as to how much we needed. It took me a few weeks to get the right amounts. Before I did, I'd either throw a load of stuff away or have to do top-up shops during the week.

Rinkydinkypink Sun 02-Apr-17 13:11:40

The list is on the fridge door and we add to it during the week. I don't control it. We even discussed it before he went. Toilet rolls i added. He's bought 4 quilted, scented, real silk bloody toilet rolls for the same price i get 16rolls for. I am justified in my annoyance! I should leave £5 next to the loo so he can wipe his arse on them!

Goldfishjane Sun 02-Apr-17 13:18:50

OP I'd be furious - the cost of all those things is eye watering to me as well.

btw I wish you a speedy recovery flowers

Viviennemary Sun 02-Apr-17 13:21:38

If you want it to be right you have to do it yourself. I know you were ill. My DH never gets the things I want even with a list. He gets the wrong thing. Or says oh I thought you didn't want such and such as it wasn't on the list. Or says I saw this thing that I'd thought you'd really like it but didn't get it in case you complained. confused Or I couldn't read your writing. (Which I admit is awful)

boolifooli Sun 02-Apr-17 13:25:59

Oh bless if he hasn't done the weekly shop before he's bound to make mistakes. If I send DH to the shops it's with a very detailed list. And he'll still make a laughable mistake

Zaphodsotherhead Sun 02-Apr-17 13:26:22

I feel your pain.

My ex periodically would declare that we 'ate crap', go out and spend a fortune on loads and loads of salad stuff (nothing to go with it), which the kids wouldn't eat and would end up thrown away. But then, he was stupid.

You DH just sounds like he got overwhelmed with choice. If you're really poorly, why not make him feed the children for a week with what he bought? That will show him why a list is necessary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now