Talk

Advanced search

To throw away photos and keepsakes

(3 Posts)
fedupsib Sun 02-Apr-17 12:21:48

So NC as quite outing.

I have a dsis and db. Our dm died a few years ago and our df moved into rented accommodation and put a lot of stuff into storage. Df got a new partner and they got a place together and he continued to pay for this storage.

Out of the blue df declares storage coating too much and he's just going to get the storage people to "house clear" it and pay them to get rid of it all.

It included photographs, mementos etc all sorts. Finally managed to get access and between us and our partners selected things that were important to us. A lot of stuff got grabbed as a "not sure what/who etc but will sort it out at a later date". Dsis was living abroad at the time and db was having lots of building works so a few boxes ended up stored at mine.

It's now a few years later and I've still got these boxes of stuff. They include framed photos of my dn and dnieces, photos from my sisters wedding, pictures of houses my parents lived in with dsis and db from before I was born etc. Things that are lovely but are not as sentimental to me (plus have lots of photos of my nieces and nephews etc). My dsis has moved back to the country to the same town as me. All her kids have left home too.

Every time i suggest sorting this stuff out i get "lack of time" from db (who I've seen twice since?) and "no space, no time" from dsis.

I am expecting our second child and I work from home. I have a four bed house and no available space as my home office is filled with this stuff.

Our garage leaks. Would it be beyond reasonable if I asked one more time to come and choose what they want and then just throw it away. They'll get angry but as the youngest I often get pushed about by them and I'm fed up with it.

We've already had HUGE fallings out with dsis for storage of a roof top box in our garage. Even though they replaced their car and it didn't fit the new car they wouldn't get rid of it and wouldn't come and take it till I got dh to ask them to.

Wando1986 Sun 02-Apr-17 12:24:49

Scan the photos and send them both the copies on Dropbox. Save anything valuable and sell it if you don't want to keep it. Tell them it's happening and if they don't come and cherry pick then you'll sort it and that'll be the end of it.

minisoksmakehardwork Sun 02-Apr-17 12:48:45

Take what's yours and put everything else on the doorsteps of the relevant people. You shouldn't have to spend time scanning etc to make it more convenient for them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now