Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to like the smell of food cooking?

(23 Posts)
GoodyGoodyGumdrops Sun 02-Apr-17 11:41:39

I suspect most people will say that IABU, but TBH I want to know whether there are others like me. Or am I just weird?

Dh always insists that I switch on the noisy, feeble, useless, annoying extractor fan while I'm cooking. But I think that the smell of food cooking is nice. I love coming into the house when I've left a slow-cook going, or when dh has been cooking.

OK, there are some lingering smells that are not nice several hours later, like fish or curry, but most other food smells don't linger and are lovely and homey.

So is he being a fusspot, or am I being strange?

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Sun 02-Apr-17 11:43:01

We live next door to a B&B so smells on tap without the effort!! grin

GoodyGoodyGumdrops Sun 02-Apr-17 13:33:21

I draw the line at bacon!

WorraLiberty Sun 02-Apr-17 13:46:20

YANBU. I love the smell of dinner cooking. It makes me look forward to it more.

UserSchmooser Sun 02-Apr-17 13:49:22

the extractor fan gets ride of water vapour and smeech too. Keeps the ceiling whiter for longer and the walls cleaner.

If yours is feeble then it likely needs a good clean inside.

SteppingOnToes Sun 02-Apr-17 13:57:31

My DSC have become much more willing to try new foods since they have experienced the smells that come from a home cooked meal - DP resorts to chicken nuggets and chips which doesn't realy have a mouthwatering smell (it's not all bad as they get cucumber, peppers, tomatoes, raw carrot and olives --with every meal--)

DrCoconut Sun 02-Apr-17 14:03:53

Some food. Roasting meat smells like poo though so not that. Or bacon, bleughh.

Crumbs1 Sun 02-Apr-17 15:06:23

We used to,have same battle. My husband can't stand smell of food cooking but I think some smell fantastic and that's a part of the pleasure. I cook on an Aga now so no smells at - so more likely to burn something as I can't smell it cooking.

user1471467016 Sun 02-Apr-17 15:13:21

CRUMBS - or anyone who knows

I've never had (or likely to) had an AGA. Why is there no smell? Intriguing?

SecretWitch Sun 02-Apr-17 15:22:10

Walking into a home where food is being cooked smells like love to me. I'm guessing because I always felt loved and secure coming home after school to a nice home made tea.

thismeansnothing Sun 02-Apr-17 15:23:33

LOVE the smell of cooking. Nowt beats waking up to the smell of bacon cooking under the grill!!!!

Also love the smell of onions being fried. Or being out at work all day and coming home to the smell of a casserole in the sc. YUM

Wow just the thought of it is making me hungry

apotheke Sun 02-Apr-17 15:24:57

Agreed. It's like calorie free enjoyment. The extractor is important for anything on the hob, but completely unnecessary for the slowcooker as it doesn't vent the steam. And I hate the noise.

AnoiseAnnoysanOyster Sun 02-Apr-17 15:26:48

Love it, but I hate my hair and clothes smelling of food.

Oysterbabe Sun 02-Apr-17 15:29:26

If any food you're cooking smells like poo you're doing it wrong.

Gottagetmoving Sun 02-Apr-17 15:32:35

Having the extractor fan on doesn't stop me being able to smell food cooking.

GoodyGoodyGumdrops Sun 02-Apr-17 15:47:35

Quite, Gotta. So why does dh insist on having it on for cooking smells?

Gottagetmoving Sun 02-Apr-17 15:51:19

Quite, Gotta. So why does dh insist on having it on for cooking smells?

But why do you insist on not having it on if you can still smell the food?
Is it the noise?
If he insists on having it on, ask him to buy a better fan...You can get much quieter ones these days.

GoodyGoodyGumdrops Sun 02-Apr-17 16:09:34

We definitely need a new, efficient, quieter fan. This one was meant to be temporary - just until we got a new kitchen installed. There's no space for a proper kitchen extractor in this kitchen.

hellokittymania Sun 02-Apr-17 16:14:08

I am making barbecue chicken right now and it smells wonderful. I love the smell of things baking as well

BeachysSnowyWellieBoots Sun 02-Apr-17 16:27:17

User1471, the aga is just a mass of solid steel with no vents, so once something's in there, it can burn to a crisp with no clue to the outside world....

MyChemicalMummy Sun 02-Apr-17 16:34:30

I use to live down the road from KFC, you could smell it in the back garden if the wind was in the right direction. I miss it.

GoodyGoodyGumdrops Sun 02-Apr-17 16:51:53

I briefly lived downwind of the McVities factory in Harlsden. Mmmmmmm.

user1471467016 Sun 02-Apr-17 18:24:13

beachy*

Thank you. Will store that trivia

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now