Talk

Advanced search

To replace lovely kitchen floor that's impossible to keep clean?

(31 Posts)
balletjump Sun 02-Apr-17 10:27:32

All opinions welcome as I don't know if this is sensible or an outrageous waste.

We bought our house a while ago and it has a nice, largeish kitchen. The floor has perfectly nice, large square off-white tiles with a glossy finish.

We are not particularly dirty or messy and our house is pretty clean but not to a showhome level. We both work and have DC and pets. Within ten minutes of cleaning the floor, it looks dirty again. It shows every speck of dirt. After a few days since cleaning, it looks truly filthy. We have neither the time nor the energy to clean this floor every day.

So WIBU to get it ripped up and spend £ on putting down a darker, low maintenance one?

Cocklodger Sun 02-Apr-17 10:28:52

I don't know much about it but would you be able to take it up and give to someone else? I only ask as it is a bit wasteful but on the whole YANBU.

LeopardShoes Sun 02-Apr-17 10:29:13

I would!

MatildaTheCat Sun 02-Apr-17 10:29:50

Not at all unreasonable. That would drive me insane. Have you condidered laying a decent Lino type product over the tiles. Amtico do some amazing styles and there are cheaper brands doing much the same.

ivykaty44 Sun 02-Apr-17 10:29:52

The dirt will still be on the floor, but you won't see the dirt. Why does it matter if you can see the dirt or not? Just clean before visitors otherwise

FaithAgain Sun 02-Apr-17 10:30:54

If you can afford it, I would. We have dark grey porcelain tiles (look like slate but very hard wearing). Hides a multitude of sins!

exLtEveDallas Sun 02-Apr-17 10:33:16

I want to do this in our kitchen and bathroom. If I had the funds I'd do it tomorrow. If you can afford it, go for it!

AddToBasket Sun 02-Apr-17 10:34:35

Don't rip it up, just put something on top.

gotthemoononastick Sun 02-Apr-17 10:36:19

Just do it OP! I was in the same situation and the cleaning really got me down.
Had beautiful,warm,natural cork tiles laid over the beastly things and never looked back.

Littlefish Sun 02-Apr-17 10:39:00

We did this (twice!) in our previous house. I don't regret it at all. I will never, ever have a pale tiled floor with pale grouting!

balletjump Sun 02-Apr-17 10:53:23

Thanks so much for replies so far! Its good to hear I'm not alone in finding this an issue. I normally would avoid this kind of waste. I would love to retile the bathrooms, for example, to make them look nicer but tiles are perfectly ok so I am going to get a few more years out of them. Kitchen floor is really nice and whoever tiled it has done a great job! But the level of cleaning is really irritating. To poster upthread who said just clean when we have visitors, its not just about how it looks to others but the fact that my kitchen looks truly dirty a day after cleaning it and it grates on me.

I had not considered putting something on top so thanks for that hint! Any links or suggestions in that regard would be most welcome.

munchkinmaster Sun 02-Apr-17 10:54:33

Buy a steam mop?

balletjump Sun 02-Apr-17 11:18:53

I got a steam mop thinking that would be the answer! But it still needs to be vacuumed first (to gather any little bits) then steam mopped over. Its still quite a faff and maybe if we were not both out at work, doing school runs etc and had more time for housework it would help but its still too high maintenance.

ButtercupChain Sun 02-Apr-17 11:22:36

yanbu

jay55 Sun 02-Apr-17 11:38:33

An irobot mop might be cheaper than a new floor grin

m.johnlewis.com/irobot-braava-jet-240-mopping-robot-white/p/3083209?sku=236642697&s_kwcid=2dx92700018956186079&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=CMD4lPbJhdMCFe0A0wodTI0PbQ&gclsrc=aw.ds#

SpringerS Sun 02-Apr-17 11:57:25

I'm doing the same this summer. I 'inherited' my kitchen tiles with the house and they are the worst tiles ever. They are deeply grooved pale cream flagstones, just about the worst of every world. The dirt gets lodged into the grooves and the only way to really clean it is to get down on my hands and knees with a scrubbing brush. I feel like Ruby from Upstairs Downstairs any time I do it and it takes about an hour because I have to dry off each tile as I go or the grimy water wells in the stupid grooves and it just doesn't get fully clean. I fucking hate them so much and I have a pair of Springer Spaniels, the most muck magnetic dogs in the world, so my floor is just always awful looking.

It's going to be a massive job though as the deep groove on the tiles makes laying something over it impossible. And as it is the tile was laid too high as when I had to replace the washing machine last year, I had to actually lift the tiles around it to get it out. It's going to be a nightmare of a job. But having a floor that I can just mop clean will be worth it.

balletjump Sun 02-Apr-17 12:36:45

Springer that sounds horrendous! Though your description made me laugh! Its made me realise my kitchen floor situation isn't too bad after all, particularly if I can lay something over it. I bet your floor looks great when newly cleaned but it just sounds completely impractical.

Wando1986 Sun 02-Apr-17 12:43:14

Just mop the floor once a day. It takes 5 minutes. I don't get the problem?

MatildaTheCat Sun 02-Apr-17 12:54:02

Springer I have almost exactly the same problem with my bathroom floor. It looks grubby all the bloody time and the only way to clean it is to scrub on hands and knees and I can't actually bring myself to ask my cleaner to do that so end up doing a Ruby after she's gone. hmm

This is my dream solution. I've got some wood effect Amtico in my tiny utility room but could happily do the whole house should I win the lottery which is unlikely since I've not bought a ticket for about 15 years.

OP I work on the basis that if you are ever going to purchase something and can afford to do so, then go ahead ASAP so you will get the benefit for longer.

Firesuit Sun 02-Apr-17 12:54:52

My BIL has a kitchen with white tiled floor. It's never dirty. However shoeless household, no pets, live-in domestic help.

I would definitely try the mopping robot.

Foxyloxy1plus1 Sun 02-Apr-17 12:55:11

Are there products you can buy that will seal the floor, so you could apply when it's just Ben cleaned. I'm sure there must be something.

Totally agree about pale grouting. A neighbour had all the pale grouting removed from her tiles and replaced with dark grey.

abbey44 Sun 02-Apr-17 12:59:38

Springer I've got a floor like that too - and two Weimaraners, who have enormous filthy feet - so I can truly sympathise. I've invested in any number of products and machines to clean the bloody thing, but it's still a nightmare to keep clean for longer than five minutes. Literally, with the puppy. I even had someone in to pressure wash it and seal it with something expensive, but that was an abject failure.

I'm selling the house. It's the only way out.

abbey44 Sun 02-Apr-17 13:01:08

Wando you've obviously never had a flagstone floor....

sizeofalentil Sun 02-Apr-17 13:25:02

Could you paint it with dark grey floor tile paint?

EddieVeddersfoxymop Sun 02-Apr-17 13:30:43

May I just add, don't go too dark with the replacement flooring. I have very dark grey and it shows every piece of fluff, white cat hairs, crumbs......angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now