Talk

Advanced search

Trump this Brexit that...

(11 Posts)
Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Sun 02-Apr-17 08:58:31

The end of days may be upon us. The lamb with seven horns and seven eyes may well be about to break the seventh seal. There are rumours of things going astray, and there will be a great confusion as to where things really are, and nobody will really know where lieth those little things with the sort of raffia work base, that has an attachment… At this time, a friend shall lose her friend’s lipstick and the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before around eight o’clock but are gone in the morning.

We may or may not have voted for the end of the universe (Brexit) and America may or may not have elected a raving lunatic as POTUS. And many many people are very upset about that.

I REALLY DON'T CARE. REALLY. NOT EVEN A LITTLE BIT.

See, here's the thing. We live in what we refer to as a democracy. It's not what the ancient Greeks would recognise as a democracy. Their model simply wouldn't work for a population anything larger than a small town these days. Our democracy is what it is, and it isn't going to change anytime soon. If you have a problem with that, let me give you a hint: venting about results you disagree with the interwebs won't change anything. If you want change, be prepared to take to the streets with a pitchfork. But do remember the mess made by every so called revolution before you get carried away. (Syria started as a simple student protest)

So having said that, America has Trump and we have Brexit. Both are what our relevant democracies term 'the will of the people' according to the definition of that democracy. 'The will of the people' is the will of the people who turned out to vote on the day and not those who didn't vote. If you don't like the outcome, trying to convince people on a forum that they should have counted all those who really meant to vote the way you did, but didn't because they had a toothache, or were a bit busy that day is not going to change anything.

History is what happened not what you wanted to happen. It's a bastard like that.

So, at some point, we will leave Europe. Will it be better? I don't honestly know? But it will be what it will be. So unless you happen to be one of the Illuminati or a Bilderburger with and can shape world events, your posting on the web is just so much hot air.

About the only thing that will make a difference to the outcome is attitude; a positive national outlook will probably be reflected in market performance, exchange rates, balance of payments, inward investment and the relative performance of the UK vs EU negotiating teams which will influence the results for the better.

I do enjoy a good rant on a Sunday morning.

WatchHowISoar Sun 02-Apr-17 09:40:18

What's your aibu? grin

Have you ranted on the threads about it?

InfiniteSheldon Sun 02-Apr-17 09:44:51

Well said now hunker down and stay safe common sense is rarely welcome on these mn threads. And YADNBU, Watch How yadbu to not see the AIBU.

Moussemoose Sun 02-Apr-17 09:53:50

"mess made by every so called revolution"
So the abolition of the Divine Right of Kings - English Revolution - was a mess?
French Revolution - redistribution of land in France = a mess?
American Revolution, removal of the British.
Russian Revolution (February - not October) removal of Romanov autocracy.

Not sure many people would agree the long term implications of these revolutions was not positive.

I'm glad the suffragettes, the Chartists, Trade Unionists didn't take your attitude or we wouldn't be able to vote or have any rights at work.

Political engagement is vital to democracy and the democratic process.

Summerisdone Sun 02-Apr-17 10:48:17

OP I honestly think your post is the first time I've seen such common sense on MN, or indeed most of the internet regarding Brexit and Donald Trump.

catgirl1976 Sun 02-Apr-17 10:53:37

So you don't care about politics or what happens in the world around you?

That's nice dear.

And just an FYI, Trump's election was not "the will of the people" by your own definition as more of the people who turned out to vote voted for Hilary.

Nor will a "positive attitude" affect the markets. Whilst investor confidence is of course a factor, that confidence is not based on having a sunny disposition and reading an inspirational poster on Facebook each morning.

And democracy as we know it is under threat, particularly in the US but here too. It is changing. So your assertion that it isn't likely to change any time soon is incorrect. It's already changing and subverted.

But you just disengage. Hell, don't even bother to vote, you won't change anything and non of it matters anyway.

Megatherium Sun 02-Apr-17 10:54:45

You really don't care about the future of the country and, indeed, potentially the world? And we can just resolve everything by a positive outlook? Is your real name Pollyanna by any chance?

WatchHowISoar Sun 02-Apr-17 11:01:02

InfiniteSheldon where has the op asked if s/he is being unreasonable? It's a rant as they've said and an opinion and the op hasn't asked what people think. It should be on the discussion boards as a counter opinion to people worrying about brexit.

WatchHowISoar Sun 02-Apr-17 11:03:48

Plus it's the same thing rehashed, nothing new and nothing revolutionary. The whole brexit trump discussions always seem to have similar opinions posted and similar comments back. Seems a bit off to me to post here and not the boards for it.

Moussemoose Sun 02-Apr-17 11:05:01

OP is also historically illiterate and wants everyone to agree that being politically apathetic is the way forward.

Why don't we just give all the decisions to one person who can do all the worrying for us? We can relax then when Mr Hitler/Stalin/ insert name of chosen dictator is in charge.

hackmum Sun 02-Apr-17 11:28:23

Your argument, in a nutshell, seems to be: "Bad things happen. You can't stop them happening, therefore you have no right to be upset about them." I suppose, logically, this could extend to anything - your parents dying, losing a leg in a traffic accident, being fired from your job...

The only kinds of people who wouldn't be upset about the bad stuff are a) those with superhuman reserves of stoicism b) psychopaths c) those who haven't got the mental capacity to grasp what's going on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now