Talk

Advanced search

that part of the funds from the tampon tax are going to an anti abortion group.

(169 Posts)
HelenaDove Sun 02-Apr-17 00:06:59

A quarter of a million pounds to Life.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/01/tampon-tax-anti-abortion-group-anger?CMP=twt_gu

HelenaDove Sun 02-Apr-17 00:07:36

Im pro choice just to clarify.

buttercup54321 Sun 02-Apr-17 00:09:39

Sounds good to me

christinarossetti Sun 02-Apr-17 00:13:44

Totally inappropriate use of public funds.

I'm really concerned how the attempts to interfere with women's choice of healthcare are becoming so mainstream.

hellsbells99 Sun 02-Apr-17 00:14:54

Totally wrong yanbu

HelenaDove Sun 02-Apr-17 00:17:08

I am absolutely horrified by this.

MP Paula Sheriff makes some excellent points in the article. One of them is that money could be used to tackle period poverty.

Cocklodger Sun 02-Apr-17 00:18:33

YANBU. Disgusting

AskBasil Sun 02-Apr-17 00:18:47

It's outrageous.

Taxpayer's money should not be going to pro-forced birth lobbies.

PickAChew Sun 02-Apr-17 00:20:05

The money could at least be used to ensure that schools and GP surgeries and/or Pharmacies have towels that they can hands out to women and girls who needs them.

That doesn't support the charities as big business model that this government seem to be so keen on, though

HelenaDove Sun 02-Apr-17 00:28:38

Pick A Chew Your suggestion would be the logical choice.

www.the-pool.com/news-views/latest-news/2017/11/girls-in-leeds-are-missing-school-because-they-dont-have-access-to-period-products

msgrinch Sun 02-Apr-17 00:35:21

Yanbu. Vile and disgusting. Abortion should be the free and easy to obtain choice for every woman if she needs, everywhere. Dealt with quickly, supported fully and sympathized with greatly. Pro lifers would change their tune the second their daughter/wife/sister/mother got raped.

PaulAnkaTheDog Sun 02-Apr-17 00:40:43

Wtf?!

Pigwitch Sun 02-Apr-17 00:46:04

What ??

Oswin Sun 02-Apr-17 00:50:31

What the fuck?! Stupid fucking idiots.

HelenaDove Sun 02-Apr-17 00:51:15

Im still absolutely stunned by this. So when we buy a sanitary product.......which we HAVE to do we are now funding an anti choice organisation

Can anybody hear the cackling of an evil genius or is it just me.

Its a way of getting women to fund their own oppression.

FairytalesAreBullshit Sun 02-Apr-17 01:34:35

I personally wouldn't abort, but I don't think I can dictate to others what to do, as it's not my body. There's reasons where I'd support an abortion, there's reasons where I don't really agree and think you're playing with fire. If you came to me as a friend or family saying you'd had one for any reason I'd support you regardless though. I would never say what an awful thing to do.

So like anything we don't get much of a say where our taxes go, I can't imagine pro life groups not buying tampons because of this, some might. I just hate the uncertainty of towels.

TimeforANewTwatName Sun 02-Apr-17 01:56:54

FFS

Yes you are right the thought of everytime I buy tampons i'm funding that, makes me feel angry and sick.

Weymouthrocks Sun 02-Apr-17 04:21:18

With refuges everywhere closing down I think this is beyond discussing..I HATE THIS GOVERNMENT!!!

Weymouthrocks Sun 02-Apr-17 04:24:03

* Disgusting..also hate predictive text 😆

Graphista Sun 02-Apr-17 04:40:30

Fucking diabolical that they're taxed at all! For that money to then go to an organisation that supports the oppression of women and girls is obscene!

fernanie Sun 02-Apr-17 05:02:54

Life (as in the charity) isn't all about abortion. They provide assistance to homeless women who become pregnant, school presentations on forming healthy relationships, palliative care for babies and children, paediatric first-aid training for parents, free or low-cost baby gear for women on low-incomes... I think it's a bit of a stretch to describe them as "supporting the oppression of women and children" hmm

FairytalesAreBullshit Sun 02-Apr-17 05:14:52

I've never accessed abortion services, although I was once with a woman in the EPAU after a massive bleed, which I knew meant game over, who was having her abortion scan. I thought there was something ironic for the sonographer, checking for the remains of a wanted baby, verses checking the gestation of an unwanted foetus. Must be quite a rollercoaster of a job, two women, two different situations, both crying wishing they were in the other persons shoes.

I can't judge as I don't know how the woman got pregnant, I didn't know her situation, I was too busy praying for a miracle.

Graphista Sun 02-Apr-17 05:21:51

Fernanie I don't. They do the things you said in order to get their agenda across. They shouldn't be in schools at all!!

JigglyTuff Sun 02-Apr-17 06:09:52

Fairytales - how the woman got pregnant is neither here nor there. You either believe that other women's bodies are theirs to do what they like with or you don't.

I'm horrified by this.

gammaraystar Sun 02-Apr-17 06:42:18

You don't have to buy disposable sanitary items. They are expensive and bad for the enviroment. Anything disposable is a luxury surely? Loads of women happily use menstrual cups or washable pads... obviously it is your personal choice, but you do have a choice!!! I think anything disposable should attract VAT, including nappies, razors and sanitary items. The resuable versions should be VAT free, or even subsidised some other way to increase their popularity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now