Talk

Advanced search

to think Andie's prom dress was horrible?

(58 Posts)
DorothyL Sat 01-Apr-17 23:39:09

Rewatching Pretty in Pink

I love that film, but the dress is terrible

freethebiscuit Sat 01-Apr-17 23:44:14

It was the worst! And how happy she was with it shock

ArtemisiaGentilleschi Sat 01-Apr-17 23:44:51

Isn't it just?! I rewatched a month or so back, the frock is ten times worse once she has the scissors to it.
I had forgotten the fab OMD track at the end though, but have been playing it nonstop since..and remembering how we all used to shriek 'I just want them to know they didn't break me'

anonymice Sat 01-Apr-17 23:46:30

It truly was rank. Good film though....

DorothyL Sat 01-Apr-17 23:46:59

I watched it with 15 year old dd, not sure she loved it quite as much as me
grin

chastenedButStillSmiling Sat 01-Apr-17 23:48:20

And pink doesn't suit her hair either.

And the lyrics aren't appropriate to the film, but heigh ho!

It was a film I enjoyed a lot at the time (and haven't seen recently, but I've got a 15 yr old, and I've made her watch she's seen The Breakfast Club)

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 02-Apr-17 00:13:20

If I was her boss who loaned her /gave her the Prom Dress that she hacked up to bodge together with the one her Dad bought her.......

She'd be sacked ! angry

<<Not real life>>

Sparklingbrook Sun 02-Apr-17 00:15:03

It was awful. Two reasonably ok dresses hacked apart to make one bogging one.

Plus she should have ended up with Duckie anyway. Blaine was a bit wet.

Mummyme1987 Sun 02-Apr-17 00:21:42

All I'm going to say is princess di's wedding dress. I loved it as a kid, wanted one just like it. I didn't choose it as an adult! Mad 80's!

supermodel Sun 02-Apr-17 00:24:28

Totally agree, I think the film is slightly spoilt by the fact the dress is so horrible.

Sparklingbrook Sun 02-Apr-17 00:25:49

St Elmo's Fire was better. Even though it was pointed out that all the male characters were horrible on MN a while ago. grin

Andylion Sun 02-Apr-17 00:27:11

I guess we all knew what this thread was about immediately.grin I've always thought she ruined a perfectly good retro dress.

altiara Sun 02-Apr-17 00:31:38

Yes! I thought she made it worse back then and could barely look at it when I saw it more recently.
Not sure what she saw in Blaine either.
Still loved the film.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Sun 02-Apr-17 00:38:34

It was foul to start with and worse by the end, yes. Couldn't imagine why anyone would think it looked ok!

But I lived through the 80s as a teen, and at one point it was a bit of a "thing" to team red hair with pink, to go against the usual fashion mores. I remember a knitting pattern from the mid-80s (my nanna was very into knitting) with a shocking pink open mohair jumper being worn by someone with hair at least as red as Andie's. I may even have had some shocking pink stuff - I definitely had some of the pinker magenta things (magenta, teal and turquoise was a colour scheme of one year in the mid-80s) - and my hair was red then too.

Sparklingbrook Sun 02-Apr-17 00:38:56

I personally would have gone for him.

pieceofpurplesky Sun 02-Apr-17 00:38:57

I loved her.

IPityThePontipines Sun 02-Apr-17 00:40:54

Saddest bit of PiP is her super cool friend becoming a dull yuppie for a man sad

YANBU about the dress.

Mari50 Sun 02-Apr-17 00:43:19

Horrific dress. Thought so at the time too so it's not something that seemed cool then even. As for Blaine, what an utter twat.

GabsAlot Sun 02-Apr-17 00:53:23

always said it thank god im not alone

wth was she thinking

JonesyAndTheSalad Sun 02-Apr-17 00:56:29

God awful! I remember at the time thinking "Is that IT!??" I see now they tried to do a genuine job on it...doing a second hand dress up...but wow! It was ugly.

Iinventedpostits Sun 02-Apr-17 01:00:37

I wasn't watching that today! Love, love, LOVE it! However you are correct, the dress is bloody vile. It's the neck part that completely kills it.

ClopySow Sun 02-Apr-17 01:38:38

But sparkling he was such a dick in that film.

I quite liked him in secretary though...

Sparklingbrook Sun 02-Apr-17 01:40:50

Oh yes, but looks wise he won hands down. <shallow> grin

kerryob Sun 02-Apr-17 01:46:23

Yep it's hideous, apparently she hated it but they didn't have the budget & claimed that's what the character would wear but it just didn't fit at all

KC225 Sun 02-Apr-17 02:07:03

Agreed, the dress was horrible. Apparently, in the original ending she got together with Duckie but they changed it to Blane (swoon). Hence the reason Blane had the really bad wig in the final scences as he'd already left and cut off his hair

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now