Talk

Advanced search

To consider wine is the appropriate response - My 3 yr olds temper tantrum todays have included....

(77 Posts)
TotallyFF Sat 01-Apr-17 17:33:36

3.5yr old DS - very intelligent, very full on and always been a more 'intense' child - love him to pieces but so far today (and this is just a really small handful of the episodes):
Half hour shouting because he wanted to go swimming but his shorts weren't 'red' enough - we then went and had a lovely time swimming - afterwhich he decided the dog needed a swimming pool and attempted to flood the bathroom.
After enjoying art - 20mins screaming that clay wouldn't dry instantly - he then covered himself in paint (I literally was just taking things to the sink - the child moves at super speed!!!)
After playing a board game - 20 minutes screaming that he didn't win - then a further tantrum that his brother no longer wanted to play with him.
In addition, Mash potatoes wasn't 'mashy' enough, the dog wouldn't bark on command and I insisted he wore his socks when we were going out...
And topped off with a half hour strop that I couldn't fulfill the wish of buying him a 'real life, flying unicorn' as a pet.....
And it's not even bedtime yet!!!
This is said light-heartedly and though he is full on 99% of the time, the tantrums are normally more associated with growth spurts etc - but my goodness I need wine! Anyone else?

NoFuckingRoomOnMyBroom Sat 01-Apr-17 17:37:31

I've had a fairly quiet one in comparison but it's Saturday so naturally I shall join you, cheers wine

happydays2017 Sat 01-Apr-17 17:43:21

You made me laugh as you reminded me of my daughter who had the most terrible tantrums over weird things, ...our car was black and not orange....why couldn't she drive ...
In hindsight, she is 22 now, I do think it was frustration borne of intelligence,
She is super bright.

Cutesbabasmummy Sat 01-Apr-17 17:48:18

My DS 2.2 is the same! The tiniest things are the end if the world. And then this afternoon I smashed the babysitter - I mean I pad...

BrownAjah Sat 01-Apr-17 17:53:05

My DD is the same age and such hard work!! So much more stubborn and willfull than her older brothers. Her current thing is shouting. She will stand in front of me and just roar when she's frustrated - drives me to the utter brink!! I think she'll wear a hole in the time out spot soon... winewinewine

SheepyFun Sat 01-Apr-17 17:55:37

If it makes you feel any better, DD has just had a meltdown because her banana broke. Admittedly she's 4 rather than 3, but hopefully that doesn't matter too much!

twolinesplease Sat 01-Apr-17 18:01:46

OP I wish I could say that it gets better. My 12 yo had a melt down because I asked him to wash the dishes at lunch time hmmand apparently it's not his job to do so angry
He is still sulking in his room and I've loved the peace and quiet while I lay on the sofa I have no wine sad

coldcanary Sat 01-Apr-17 18:04:52

Early night for them and wine for you is the only sane response. DD had a tantrum yesterday because her kinder egg didn't split exactly in half and she wanted me to fix it back together. She's 5. And was in bed by 6.30 winewinewine

NewPuppyMum Sat 01-Apr-17 18:16:40

I can't drink as I'm the only adult here but since I've just told my 11 year old to forget the fucking vegetables then and I'll leave all of them if he doesn't do what I've asked, alcohol is probably the last thing I should have.

grannybiker Sat 01-Apr-17 18:17:56

One absolutely exhausted after a day at Euro-Disney 5yo had a total meltdown when the lady selling the balloons she'd coveted gave her one for free as it was the end of the day... "I might lose it!"

redshoeblueshoe Sat 01-Apr-17 18:19:07

mash potato wasn't mashy enough grin
wine

Bluetrews25 Sat 01-Apr-17 18:21:39

Years fly by, but the days can sometimes drag!
In the blink of an eye they will be at uni. Take heart!
This too shall pass. Bloody hard at the time, though.

MatildaTheCat Sat 01-Apr-17 18:25:38

Ds1 screamed for three solid hours after a haircut during which the foolish poor hairdresser asked him how he would like it. 'Like Captain Hook,' he replied. He was, ahem, not happy with the result which was, fair to say, nothing like Hook's long, glossy black locks. He was blessed with soft golden curls.

We still tease him about that one 25 years later. grin

You definitely deserve wine. wine

dementedma Sat 01-Apr-17 18:26:01

I do not miss the toddler years one teeny weeny bit!
It is a billion times easier when they are older even if I do have to deal with exams and boyfriends and dissertations and jobs...
It is a breeze compared to arsy little ones!

2beesornot2beesthatisthehoney Sat 01-Apr-17 18:29:36

Best tantrum my DD had was when she was 9! Our trip to Ireland on finding out boat trip wasn't going to be long enough to be overnight , wanted the government or maybe God ( can't remember which) to move Ireland further into the Atlantic !

HemanOrSheRa Sat 01-Apr-17 18:29:51

Captain Hook! gringringrin

SpreadYourHappiness Sat 01-Apr-17 18:56:37

YABU. If you're finding you need wine to cope/de-stress, I think you've got a problem.

nursebickypegs Sat 01-Apr-17 19:00:51

@SpreadYourHappiness do you have children?

OP, take my wine as I'm pregnant. Run!

OhHolyFuck Sat 01-Apr-17 19:03:22

Started toilet training ds2 today, may as well just piss on the carpet myself and save everybody the hassle of going upstairs

No wine for me either as I'm working a night shift tonight

SpreadYourHappiness Sat 01-Apr-17 19:04:31

No, but I also don't drink, so I don't think that will change when I do have children. Alcohol shouldn't be used to cope or de-stress. If you find that's what you drink it for, you should stop drinking.

Life is tough; you need to find a way to cope that isn't alcohol.

LouKout Sat 01-Apr-17 19:06:07

Youre not really spreading happiness here tbh

StarryIllusion Sat 01-Apr-17 19:08:32

Youre not really spreading happiness here tbh

grin

justdontevenfuckingstart Sat 01-Apr-17 19:09:48

Love it Lou

SpreadYourHappiness Sat 01-Apr-17 19:14:23

No, not happiness. Just the truth.

HemanOrSheRa Sat 01-Apr-17 19:14:44

Lou grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now