Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To ask if this job-hopping would put you off?

(5 Posts)
teaandcakeat8 Sat 01-Apr-17 16:10:17

Brief background: Worked for the same company for 4 years, in which time I was promoted.

Then took a new job - I left after 4 months:
- My two line managers were having an affair with each other, putting me in an awkward position as they left me out of a lot of info
- The business didn't support me in any way - I didn't even get given a laptop or mobile phone
- The company got into financial difficulty and extended my probation pending possible redundancy

Following this I took a new job in a new company. A sideways move; same salary. When I took the position I was very careful to ask about progression, company history, culture etc. Although a small business, it was being headed up by some very successful people from large organisations who seemed to have a key business plan and structure. I've been reasonably happy there.

This week the owners of the business came in and basically fired all senior management as they want to regain control. All plans are scrapped and there will be no bonus, benefits slashed with threats of redundancy again. I now have no line manager to learn from.

I'm really worried and not happy now at all. It feels like the business has just gone 100 steps back. I want to look for something else, but am worried about the 'job hopping' on my CV.

How would you list the positions on the CV, and should I be really concerned? I want to settle down and progress in one organisation but it just hasn't worked out that way. If you recruit candidates, would this put you off.

Im 27 btw, graduated in 2012.

LadyPW Sat 01-Apr-17 16:16:10

I think you just need to put something on your CV to explain the 4 months and why you're looking to leave your current role (that's easy - "threat of imminent redundancy following major restructuring of senior personnel". And explain it more fully in any applications. You've got the original 4 years & it's only recently and explainable.

pinkstinks Sat 01-Apr-17 16:17:51

I'm the same as you graduated in 2011 and work I the charity sector.
These days with funding cuts etc I haven't been penalised for job hopping and I have had about three in three years with restructures and redundancies after uni. If you can clearly articulate the reasons and also tell the new place what you want (stability etc) as you tried to do here you will be fine! Chin up, it is tough out there but better to move around and find a job you love than stay in one that doesn't fulfil you.

daisypond Sat 01-Apr-17 16:21:59

I think you're worrying unnecessarily. You've had one job that lasted four years with an internal promotion. Plus one shorter one. And the one you now have, which may or may not work out. That's absolutely fine, and quite normal, I'd say. You've got nothing to hide or try and disguise in any way.

teaandcakeat8 Sat 01-Apr-17 16:32:48

I'm worrying because I really really want to leave the job I'm in now. It's gone from 'ok' to awful in a couple of days... I feel like I'm wasting time there.

I do have solid references that I can use.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now