Talk

Advanced search

Aibu, would you be annoyed by this?

(24 Posts)
Cocklodger Sat 01-Apr-17 15:42:49

Hi, I gave a fridge freezer to a friend a few months ago.
He was very grateful, obviously I took no money etc. Now he's moving abroad, and is getting rid of It, fair enough. One of our mutual friends has asked for it and he's said he can have it for "mates rates" of £50, which is a very low price (it's one of those big "posh" American type ones, very expensive and in v good condition) aibu to be a bit annoyed and think it's a bit cheeky to be charging for it when he got it free?
I did raise an eyebrow at the time as I was there during the conversation and got a almost snippy "I need the money" from the friend selling it. I said nothing about it, I know in a way it's none of my business, and bizarrely I feel a bit more annoyed about him selling it to a friend than a stranger, but would you be annoyed? Aibu?

pudcat Sat 01-Apr-17 15:45:15

I would especially if I was there when he said the price.

TinyBarista Sat 01-Apr-17 15:45:56

But surely it is now his, to do with as he pleases.
(Or was a gift from you, with invisible strings attached.)
YABU.

toldmywrath Sat 01-Apr-17 15:46:22

Yup. I'd be annoyed as well.

Gatehouse77 Sat 01-Apr-17 15:46:48

It would annoy me but I wouldn't let it affect the relationship. I wouldn't offer anymore freebies though.

Cocklodger Sat 01-Apr-17 15:47:54

I know Tiny I guess I am being U in that respect, I just think it's a bit mean to profit from two friends. I won't say anything, but I suspect he knows what I think on account of my eyebrows raising right up to my hairline

KateDaniels2 Sat 01-Apr-17 15:48:20

Yabu. Its his.

TinyBarista Sat 01-Apr-17 15:49:33

Yes I can see that.
Positive outcome - now you've seen this side of him - he's moving abroad grin.

Cocklodger Sat 01-Apr-17 15:50:15

😂 silver linings and all that! I guess it's a split really. So I'll deduce I'm being a bit U and move on with my life 😀

ImperialBlether Sat 01-Apr-17 15:51:31

Of course you're not unreasonable! Why should that money belong to him and not to you?

newmumwithquestions Sat 01-Apr-17 15:53:00

I'd be annoyed. I give things away to friends that I could sell, partly because I'm too lazy to bother selling but partly because they're friends and it's a nice thing to do. I'd charity shop or give away something I was given if I didn't need it any more.

sirfredfredgeorge Sat 01-Apr-17 15:53:58

If he really needs the money, then he needs the money, you presumably care enough about him to give him an expensive fridge, so now you can care about him enough to just accept that he needs the money.

So yes it's pretty crappy thing to do, and because of that you can assume the guy is either a cock - in which case why are you giving him a fridge - or he genuinely needs 50 quid right now.

dudsville Sat 01-Apr-17 15:55:32

The thing that's annoying is that he isn't "paying it forward". His ethics differ from your yours and that's grating.

Cocklodger Sat 01-Apr-17 15:56:54

I think he's being a bit of a dick tbh, but as you say he probably needs the money (hence why I've butted out of it really) I know moving can make you haemorrhage money at the best of times let alone thousands of miles away!

Darlink Sat 01-Apr-17 15:59:10

He's being a dick

lanbro Sat 01-Apr-17 16:01:26

We gave a load of bedroom furniture to some friends, who then decided they didn't want the bed and sold it on to an acquaintance. They then gave us half the money, not asked for but the gesture was appreciated

Bluetrews25 Sat 01-Apr-17 16:13:18

It was very kind of you to give him the item for free. If he had more manners than greed need he he would have offered it back to you. Pretty cheeky.
Anyone seen FB posts - collecting items 'for a friend' who has nothing - often wonder if things get sold on. nasty suspicious mind here

ShowMePotatoSalad Sat 01-Apr-17 16:17:43

He's a dick but you can't do anything. As soon as you give something to someone, it becomes their property. He can sell it if he wants. But morally it's not right.

WizardOfToss Sat 01-Apr-17 16:18:19

It's a touch greedy and ill mannered, yes.

witsender Sat 01-Apr-17 16:19:58

Yanbu, cheeky to do it in front of you and make out he is doing them a deal.

Tartyflette Sat 01-Apr-17 16:22:02

I think I would tell the mutual friend he's selling it to that you gave it to him for free....
He should offer to split the £50 with you -- bearing in mind that you'd probably decline the money anyway -- but at least then he'd be doing the decent thing.

MargotLovedTom1 Sat 01-Apr-17 16:26:14

You are supremely daft generous giving away an American style fridge freezer in v g condition for nothing. There's nothing you can do or say about your friend's actions, although it is galling to see him profit.

KidLorneRoll Sat 01-Apr-17 16:26:44

Why does it matter? You obviously didn't need the money, maybe he does. Not really any of your business.

ShiroiKoibito Sat 01-Apr-17 16:28:51

theres a person on my local freecycle who has been replacing the same items for months now

Hi im after iver a laptop or a pc as boatch ov mine have gon rong "

Hi im after a pc or laptop as mine was lost in a house fire along with all my belongings. So if anyone can help please.

Needed XXX please as mine was lost in a house fire.

and this person has an ebay account with a rating of 3.5k...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now