Talk

Advanced search

To wake the baby to give calpol?

(16 Posts)
blue2014 Sat 01-Apr-17 15:26:35

Sorry I'm posting for traffic

16 week DS. Has a fever after immunisations yesterday. We are treating with 4 hourly calpol (within 4 dose a day limit)

He's due one in 5 mins but is asleep, he resisted sleep for hours now.

I should let him keep sleeping shouldn't I? Or Wake to give it?

Help?

UserSchmooser Sat 01-Apr-17 15:27:42

give it when they next wake for a feed. If they're hot they'll wake and you can feed them.

Do you have an ear themometer? What's their temp now?

HeyCat Sat 01-Apr-17 15:27:58

Does he ever dream feed? My eldest would probably sleep through a calpol dose, just keep holding him, push the syringe down slowly, then help him resettle.

Leave him sleeping unless he feels very hot. I'd imagine he'll wake when he feels unwell and have it then.

MrEBear Sat 01-Apr-17 15:28:14

Let him sleep

RainbowRabbit33 Sat 01-Apr-17 15:29:37

Remove dummy, insert Calpol plunger, administer slowly. That's what we did anyway! DD didn't wake once. She sometimes shuffled a little bit, but that was it. She was a keen sleeper though...

KP86 Sat 01-Apr-17 15:29:50

Let him sleep. You don't need to give Calpol for fever unless they are bothered by it (upset, crying, distressed). Fever is natural, and as long as it's under 39-40d, not considered a big problem.

Baby will let you know if they are feeling crappy!

blue2014 Sat 01-Apr-17 15:37:53

This sounds like an insane stealth boast but it reallly isn't, he hardly ever cries so I'm worried he won't let me know if he's unhappy

AGnu Sat 01-Apr-17 15:44:14

If you do decide to try giving it to him while he's sleeping it's best to aim it towards his cheek, rather than squirting it right at the back of his throat. Do it slowly too.

Nan0second Sat 01-Apr-17 15:45:18

Let him sleep

Notso Sat 01-Apr-17 15:45:55

Unless he is miserable (which he obviously isn't) or really hot then I'd leave him and just keep a close eye on him.

missymayhemsmum Sat 01-Apr-17 15:48:34

Let him sleep (unless he is really feverish).

PoliticalBiscuit Sat 01-Apr-17 15:49:52

If he's sleeping he's not miserable, wake him up and give it to him if he feels very hot.

ImNotReallyReal Sat 01-Apr-17 15:50:16

Leave him to sleep unless he feels really hot. I find the forehead kiss is a good indicator of temperature (if you don't have an ear thermometer), I kissed my babies so much I knew what their normal temperature felt like.

Hopefully he's through the worst now and will be perky tomorrow.

PonderLand Sat 01-Apr-17 15:50:16

My DS was okay after jabs so I didn't wake him, if he had been crying in between sleeps and really upset then I'd give calpol when he was next due even if he was asleep.

blue2014 Sat 01-Apr-17 17:13:04

Thanks everyone - he woke about 15 mins after I posted so he's had his calpol.

Thank you for being on hand though smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now