Talk

Advanced search

To think Gibraltar should just be repatriated to Spain

(174 Posts)
brexitstolemyfuture Sat 01-Apr-17 13:01:43

Sorry couldn't find a thread on this, but shouldn't it just be part of Spain? It's a bit ridiculous that it's causing such tension. As someone Spanish said it's like Spain owing Penzance, people would not be happy with that.

GabsAlot Sat 01-Apr-17 13:03:56

an what happens to all the brits living an working there?

80sMum Sat 01-Apr-17 13:03:57

As someone Spanish said it's like Spain owing Penzance, people would not be happy with that.

It depends which people you ask, doesn't it? If all the residents of Penzance were Spanish, they would probably be quite happy about it.

TwattyMcTwatface Sat 01-Apr-17 13:05:01

Do you not care what the Gibratarians want, then? Or is your user name a clue? Either way: biscuit

LadyPW Sat 01-Apr-17 13:06:36

Well given that 99% of the inhabitants said no thanks to being Spanish...

TheWhiteRoseOfYork Sat 01-Apr-17 13:06:43

Or maybe it would be like Spain having colonies in North Africa- I mean people would not be happy with that and I am sure Spain would give them back! Oh wait....

PinkCrystal Sat 01-Apr-17 13:09:32

Yanbu but what about Northern Ireland? Alaska?

TOADfan Sat 01-Apr-17 13:10:21

How about no since everyone there is British. Try saying that but with Northern Ireland instead.

brexitstolemyfuture Sat 01-Apr-17 13:12:11

It wasn't quite 99% of residents, but it was high. That is because it's been flooded with Brits. The same result would happen in Tibet as china and encouraged its residents to move there n purpose to outnumber locals .

brexitstolemyfuture Sat 01-Apr-17 13:13:04

Northern island i see your point, but Gibraltar is tiny so it's not a fair comparison.

AmysTiara Sat 01-Apr-17 13:13:33

The people in Gibraltar don't want that. Should we just ignore their wishes?

harderandharder2breathe Sat 01-Apr-17 13:14:10

They voted by a landslide (99% of votes) to stay British. So no, it shouldn't be returned to Spain.

Mummyoflittledragon Sat 01-Apr-17 13:14:34

So when are the Spanish giving the canaries back???

Hefzi Sat 01-Apr-17 13:15:52

And while we're at it, let's cut the Falklands loose as well hmm

And people call Leavers "racist and thick"...

Hefzi Sat 01-Apr-17 13:17:06

Mummy why does no-one ever remember about the Canaries?!

latebreakfast Sat 01-Apr-17 13:18:22

YABU. How would you feel if the government suddenly decided to give the county you're living in to another country? Gibraltar's close to Spain but then so is Portugal and I doubt the Portuguese would much fancy being given away either.

egosumquisum1 Sat 01-Apr-17 13:18:39

I did find the outrage from certain UK papers a bit ironic this morning when they were more than happy for the UK to play hardball.

Both sides have 'cards in their hands'. Both are playing them. And this is only the start.

GeekGoddess Sat 01-Apr-17 13:19:26

If you think it's ridiculous that it's causing such tension, why aren't you arguing that Spain should back off and let the Gibraltarians live as they wish?

TheWhiteRoseOfYork Sat 01-Apr-17 13:23:00

That is because it's been flooded with Brits.

But there was never really a Spanish population there,for example it had no natural water source until it was ceded to Britain which made it difficult to sustain a population. So of course it has been populated with Brits-all of the improvements to make it habitable were done by the British. But they did not push the native Spanish out because there were not any there in the first place.

VladmirsPoutine Sat 01-Apr-17 13:28:45

So you basically want to cut them loose now that the EU is playing a rather clever strategic hand?

brexitstolemyfuture Sat 01-Apr-17 13:29:36

Both sides have 'cards in their hands'. Both are playing them. And this is only the start.

I'm worried you might be right, this is going to get very nasty sad

PanGalaticGargleBlaster Sat 01-Apr-17 13:31:08

Only if Spain return Ceuta, Melilla and the Canaries to Morocco.

NerrSnerr Sat 01-Apr-17 13:31:21

Let's screw the Gibraltans then shall we? Doesn't matter what they want or the fact that people born and bred there are British and the vast majority want to be British.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 01-Apr-17 13:34:21

It is a really tricky situation. They're going to be pretty fucked in Gibraltar once a hard border goes up and once the UK is out of the EU, the EU will only care about Spain's case.

The folk of Gibraltar need to decide if they want to remain in the EU or as an overseas UK territory. They can't have both.

Pretty disgusted that, as with NI, the government has shown that they couldn't care less.

IfYouGoDownToTheWoodsToday Sat 01-Apr-17 13:35:17

I agree if Spain hands back the Canaries and the other territory Islands it controls.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now