Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to take a 3 year old camping?

(43 Posts)
nosuchthingasbadweather Sat 01-Apr-17 10:45:52

Just that really. Camping at the end of April, in Scotland, just the two of us.

She's never camped before. I have. Love it.

Am I off my head?

Any tips?

Temporaryanonymity Sat 01-Apr-17 10:46:51

Not at all! It will be fine, why wouldn't you?

EastMidsMummy Sat 01-Apr-17 10:47:26

Perfect age. They'll love it.

(Anything over about 10, not so much, from personal experience.)

coolaschmoola Sat 01-Apr-17 10:48:31

It'll be brilliant! We've taken DD (5) since she was a baby.

Meowstro Sat 01-Apr-17 10:49:49

What's wrong with that? I think if I had have camped earlier I would have grown up to like it more.

SaucyJack Sat 01-Apr-17 10:51:13

What's the overnight temperature of where you're planning to go? Cos there is plenty such thing as bad weather if you're not fully prepare for it when camping.

Camping in summer with small kids is great fun tho.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Sat 01-Apr-17 10:53:44

It'll be brilliant.

Take a bucket for night time wees though, then you won't have to leave her at night/first thing in the morning if you need the loo.

Top tip - pack carrier bag in the evening with your towel, change of clothes etc so that when she wakes at the crack of dawn you can just head to the shower block before the queues start, and you don't have to rummage around looking for clothes. . It might be just me that likes doing that though grin

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Sat 01-Apr-17 10:55:47

End of April will be cold at night though. Any chance of EHU and a fan heater?

nosuchthingasbadweather Sat 01-Apr-17 10:55:50

Thanks guys, all very positive!

Good tips to :-)

rumbelina Sat 01-Apr-17 10:56:02

Do you have the IKEA high chair? It's very transportable and we found it a godsend with DS to keep him in while we put the tent up etc (he's a runner grin)

JigglyTuff Sat 01-Apr-17 10:56:11

Wear onesies before you start to get cold and sleep together. Take hot water bottles and put them in the bed an hour before you get into it.

Learn how to make a decent fire if you don't know how to smile

anothermalteserplease Sat 01-Apr-17 10:56:36

Why would you not take her? Camping is perfect for young children. As long as you take extra clothes and some wellies you'll be fine.

honeylulu Sat 01-Apr-17 10:59:20

I first camped with our littlest at 16 months, end of September. It was fine, she loved it. Lots of layers. Travel cot is brilliant for keeping the chill off as it's off the ground - we still take it even though she's nearly 3.

nosuchthingasbadweather Sat 01-Apr-17 11:29:51

Awesome, thanks!

I think she'll love it, I guess I just wanted some encouragement :-)

Hot water bottles, marshmallows by the fire, cosy beds, love it!

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Sat 01-Apr-17 19:35:46

You'll be fine as long as you've got lots of warm things on/under her bed. I've got one of those massive pod sleeping bags. The toddler sleeps in his brilliant 3 season vango bag until the small hours, but then tends to come in with me. So double airbed for you and huge sleeping bag. Or just sod it and go full duvet.

Can I recommend a bloody good Thermos so you've got coffee ready to go in the morning?

MrsTwix Sat 01-Apr-17 19:45:46

Sounds great.

Huldra Sat 01-Apr-17 19:47:46

I would but as others have said watch the night time temperatures. Insulate yourselves under as well as the sleeping bag and blankets

When mine were younger they used to wiggle quite a bit and would end up with gaps around the top of their sleeping bags, or partially come out, so their bodies wouldn't heat up the air inside as well. I used to keep a couple of small blankets near me so if it were cold I could kind of put one around their heads and necks to seal the gaps.

Millybingbong Sat 01-Apr-17 19:48:40

Would you ŕeallyou squeeze a 3yo in a Highchair while you put up the tent?

Last year thend 3 yo helped with the awning while the 2yo played and baby lay in the carrycot...

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Sat 01-Apr-17 19:50:19

Crocs from poundland!! Easy to get on and off in and out the tent.!
Night light!
Bigger sized onesie to go over pj's.

Ineverdidmind Sat 01-Apr-17 19:50:52

I first took my daughter when she was 9 months. It was grand. We're regular campers, have taken them both each year.
Enjoy!

3boys3dogshelp Sat 01-Apr-17 19:52:02

She will have a ball. I'm planning to take my 3yo somewhere next week too (and his 7 and 8 year old brothers shock ) next week. He went as an 8 month old and a 2 1/2 yr old too and absolutely loved it. I missed out the sticking-everything-in-his-mouth Summer though! The tricky but is keeping an eye on them while you get the tent up, the rest is fab. We took a travel cot and it doubled up as a play pen but I think he's too big now.

JellyWitch Sat 01-Apr-17 19:57:08

Of course you should. We are camping with our 2 year old next weekend (and the one after). She's been camping since she was a fortnight old.

Huldra Sat 01-Apr-17 19:57:52

I do the packing shower stuff the night before too. I have clothes in one plastic bag wash stuff in another, then put them both into a large reusable shopping bag with towel. Then I can hang the whole thing on the shower cubicle peg, it keeps everything dry and mean you have somewhere to put the clothes you were wearing.

Huldra Sat 01-Apr-17 19:59:48

sheraaag what's the thermos recommendation?

PaulaBBB Sat 01-Apr-17 20:04:34

We went wild camping for an almost 2 year old, 3.5 year old and a 6 year old. It was fine, in fact it was a lot of fun. It will be very cold in the evenings still so just go very prepared.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now