Talk

Advanced search

To ask what low carbers eat instead of hot cross buns?

(5 Posts)
brexitstolemyfuture Fri 31-Mar-17 21:57:03

I feel a world better with no bread and pasta and feel awful if i have some. But really miss a hot cross buns, is there a good low carb wheat free version?

Fruu Fri 31-Mar-17 22:10:00

Could you use a normal recipe but substitute the flour for nut / coconut / chickpea flour? I haven't really bothered making low carb breads but I've successfully made pancakes, cake and pizza bases so it can't be too difficult! There are loads of recipes online for low carb baking if you have a google.

I'd mind the sultanas if you're properly low carbing though; all dried fruit is pretty sugary!

brexitstolemyfuture Sat 01-Apr-17 12:44:27

Honestly everything I've tried with chick pea and coconut flour has been awful- dry and nasty!

Lots of low carb recipes, but all I've tried taste awful

HerBluebiro Sat 01-Apr-17 12:48:10

We don't.

Once you are stabilised then you can have a small one (home made lots of butter in the dough. Only a little fruit) but unfortunately it is a no no.

Remember they are a celebratory cake. Designed to have one of not a few every week leading up to easter. We should traditionally still be fasting and avoiding the sugar and wheat (and eggs and dairy) because it is lent anyway.

Veggies it is I'm afraid.

brexitstolemyfuture Sat 01-Apr-17 12:59:12

How long did it take you to stabilise?

I thought it was your choice to give up any vice for Lent, not just dairy / wheat? I'm eating a lot of dairy (trying to cut down) but have given up booze.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now