Talk

Advanced search

To think that hot cross buns should be eaten hot?

(105 Posts)
MillieMoodle Fri 31-Mar-17 20:57:48

My first thread in AIBU, but DH has driven me to write this with his insistence that hot cross buns should be eaten cold with butter and never toasted.

I am of the opinion that HOT cross buns should be toasted first and then smothered in butter.

His opinions on hot cross buns, coupled with his shit taste in biscuits are making me question how on earth we have managed 12 seemingly happy years together.

So, in the case of the hot cross buns, who IBU?!

Creatureofthenight Fri 31-Mar-17 21:00:47

I can eat them either way, but they are much nicer toasted.

TheGrumpySquirrel Fri 31-Mar-17 21:00:51

They should always be toasted! I've only ever eaten them raw when I was on my period at work and desperate for carbs, with no access to a toaster.

Idbemonica1 Fri 31-Mar-17 21:01:35

Yanbu hot cross buns need to be hot - preferably toasted and smothered in butter, or else what's the point?
Do tell about the poor taste in biscuits...

CigarsofthePharoahs Fri 31-Mar-17 21:05:00

I assume the whole reason they're called HOT cross buns is that they need to be, well, hot.
DH is a heathen who eats them cold and my children are, alas, following in his footsteps.
I'm even more pissed off right now as currently my temperamental bowel is having a disagreement with any sort of bread. Gah!

MillieMoodle Fri 31-Mar-17 21:05:32

Idbe the appalling taste in biscuits sees our cupboards filled with malted milks, fruit shortcakes and sodding Nice biscuits (which are ironically the least nice biscuit ever).

MillieMoodle Fri 31-Mar-17 21:08:32

Cigar yes, you would think so, but so insistent is DH that he is right, he has consulted the oracle Google which informs him that they were traditionally eaten cold. Presumably before people had toasters and realised the right way to have them!

mendandmakedo Fri 31-Mar-17 21:08:53

I have never eaten a hot cross bun cold. Its a waste of a hot cross bun and calories.

Gunpowder Fri 31-Mar-17 21:09:28

YANBU. Except about Nice biscuits.

user1482079332 Fri 31-Mar-17 21:19:23

I eat them cold whilst waiting for the others to toast

Spam88 Fri 31-Mar-17 21:19:57

I can eat a hot cross bun either way (sometimes there's no time to toast it because you just need to stuff that deliciousness in your mouth). Those are some shit biscuits though.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Fri 31-Mar-17 21:21:16

Cold hot cross buns with butter and Wensleydale are one of life's little pleasures, but hot hot cross buns are brilliant. I'm on the fence here.

Middleagedmumoftwo Fri 31-Mar-17 21:23:03

I love them both hot and cold. But what I really love are the chocolate orange hot cross buns from Tesco 😋

MillieMoodle Fri 31-Mar-17 21:24:00

AndNone shock WTAF? Cheese? On a hot cold cross bun? How did you even discover this?!

Spam thank you. Shit biscuits indeed. He also denies that they are shit biscuits.

NeonGod73 Fri 31-Mar-17 21:24:42

I eat them cold with butter. The thing is I can't toast them as they always get fucking stuck in the bloody toaster. I cut them in half, put them in the toaster and the little fuckers won't come out. RAGE!
Ah, anyway....

foxyloxy78 Fri 31-Mar-17 21:25:08

Always hot with loads of butter

Mamabear468 Fri 31-Mar-17 21:25:31

My dh always toasts his hot cross buns, my parents eat them cold. I think they are horrible either way so each to their own.
Although I have to agree on your she's questionable taste in biscuits wink

Kitsandkids Fri 31-Mar-17 21:35:55

Cold with butter and cheddar cheese - delicious!

I actually don't think I've ever had one hot!

mummymummums Fri 31-Mar-17 21:42:59

OMG - we always have hot cross buns but I had no idea that eating them hot was the done thing! Have only ever had them cold. This will now change grin

WasWebb81 Fri 31-Mar-17 21:44:47

Ha! Source of contention in our house!

My family has always eaten then cold with butter and jam. My Dad also loves them with loads of butter and cheese. My husband thinks it's mental and every year bangs on about our eating 'cold cross buns'. I love them 'cold' and they are lovely toasted but to me that just tastes like a teacake when what I want is a hot cross bun. So only toasted for me if going a bit stale.

carabos Fri 31-Mar-17 21:45:18

Toasted with butter. DH has marmalade on his hmm.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Fri 31-Mar-17 21:45:55

Definitely toasted. Unless it's to shut a toddler up.

My friend eats them cold. I've told her it's weird.

Not convinced about cheese.

MillieMoodle Fri 31-Mar-17 21:50:37

Was my DH says the same as you - if toasted they taste like a tea cake. Yes, exactly! That's why they're best toasted! I like the sound of your DH, he sounds very sensible grin

Slightly alarmed at all the people who eat them with cheese hmm is it a regional thing?

Titsywoo Fri 31-Mar-17 21:52:26

If you had hot cross buns without the dried fruit would they just be rolls? Or is there other flavouring in them. I haven't had them for years but I do seem to remember that I ate around the fruit but really loved them and the dough had a sweetish taste?

MillieMoodle Fri 31-Mar-17 21:53:36

Oops double post, sorry.

Having read this thread out to DH, he** is now considering cold cross buns with cheese. He thinks this is a good idea. FFS.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now