Talk

Advanced search

To want to stay fit whilst pregnant

(17 Posts)
Babykoala1 Fri 31-Mar-17 20:11:57

So.. I've just found out that I'm pregnant, again. shock my little one is only 4 months old.. so this was in no way planned, but nevertheless we are excited to complete our family.

My main concern is just how fat I got when pregnant, forget eating for two.. I was eating for more like 7. I justified it in my head because I was pregnant and pregnant women are allowed to get fat. I just really don't want to go down this route again! Is it okay to moderate what you eat when pregnant and exercise regularly? I joined weight watchers but unfortunately will have to quit as they don't allow pregnant members.. which makes me think that you aren't really allowed to diet?

Obviously my baby's health is the most important to me and comes before vanity, but I just want to have a healthy pregnancy for both of us.. my mental health suffered a bit due to low self esteem and I've only just started to get my confidence back by sticking to this healthy regime.. and then BAM, pregnant! shock

Any thoughts on tips on staying healthy whilst preggers? or if I'm being unreasonable and should just stay wobbly for the next 9 months?

Spotsondots Fri 31-Mar-17 20:24:07

Congratulations, OP! You should absolutely aim to be active and eat well during your pregnancy. Get out for walks, join a buggy ft group, join a yoga class or do some prenatal yoga YouTube videos at home.

As for diet, aim to eat a well balanced diet with more emphasis on protein, natural fats and leafy green veg and less emphasis on refined carbs. The combination of activity and diet should stand you in good stead.

Justanothernameonthepage Fri 31-Mar-17 20:26:42

I'm 7 months and much more careful this time round (helped by nausea). But when I'm feeling fit enough, I use the Tracey Anderson pregnancy DVD (on YouTube). I'm planning on swimming each day once I'm on maternity leave too.

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Fri 31-Mar-17 20:28:04

You have a baby to keep you fit!!
I wouldn't be too worried this time around!!

thismeansnothing Fri 31-Mar-17 20:28:33

Speak to your GP. There might be a pregnancy weight management programme in your area. I work in the delivery of one. But the message is very much about weight maintenance rather than weight loss.

Allthewaves Fri 31-Mar-17 20:28:39

If u need a diet club you can follow the slimming world plan - u just can't get weighed after 12 weeks

StillDrivingMeBonkers Fri 31-Mar-17 20:28:41

Eating for two is such a myth. So many women use it as an excuse for gluttony. Eat wisely, east sensibly and eat healthily. If you are irrationally hungry, eat fruit. If you get cravings, its because you are lacking minerals and vitamins, find out which one and eat food rich in it.

Eg no you don't really want to gorge on mars bars, you are lacking iron, so up the broccoli intake.

KatharinaRosalie Fri 31-Mar-17 20:30:45

Just don't eat for 7. You don't need any extra calories until the last trimester, and even then just an extra couple of hundred. And keep active. I gained a lot more weight in my first pregnancy than second, and I have to say that especially the last months were considerably easier the second time, so it's totally worth it.

HelenaWay Fri 31-Mar-17 20:30:55

Speak to your GP.

Please don't waste a GPs appointment for this.

AgentCooper Fri 31-Mar-17 20:35:44

I'm 11 weeks +1 and I swim for 30 mins every day. My tiredness is really bad right now but I actually find getting in the water makes me feel better.

Girlwiththearabstrap Fri 31-Mar-17 20:45:51

If you already exercise you can keep going for as long as you like, providing you don't have SPD or anything. I ran and did spinning all through pregnancy but was a greedy cow in the last couple of months so I did get quite big! I don't think calorie cutting is recommended but sticking to the usual plenty of fruit and veg/lean meats/yoghurt/whole grains/low sugar seems sensible and would probably avoid a massive weight gain.
Your midwife might be able to refer you to a Fit for Pregnancy type group too.

haveacupoftea Fri 31-Mar-17 21:30:23

I go to a weight management in pregnancy clinic, in 31 weeks I have about 8lb on. I have got away with eating a bit more than normal but certainly not eating for 2. I think when you get your head around continuing to eat normal portion sizes and not needing loads of extra snacks its easy enough not to gain loads of weight. Pregnancy isnt a time for dieting though.

AgathaMystery Fri 31-Mar-17 21:44:40

I second Slimming World - it's a great program advocated by the Royal College of Midwives.

Wolfiefan Fri 31-Mar-17 21:47:18

You can't suddenly take up a vigorous exercise regime or start a crash diet.
You can stay active and eat healthily.

Singlelady Fri 31-Mar-17 21:48:55

HI OP
I'm a slimming world member and I know you can join slimming world when pregnant as long as you midwife is happy for you to proceed. Maybe worth ringing your local sw consultant and have a chat about it as they would be able to give you the details as the plan is different for pregnant ladies smile

Babykoala1 Fri 31-Mar-17 21:59:23

Hey guys, thank you for all your input! Definitely gonna give SW a go smile didn't realise you could still join when you're pregnant.

My first pregnancy I ate for 12 2 and gained about 3 stone of flab. My second pregnancy I had a three year old personal trainerwink that kept me active. I put on 17lb in total (I was already overweight) 7lb of which was DS2. I was back to my pre pregnancy weight in 3 weeks after the birth.
It's fine to eat sensibly and exercise moderately (watch out for loose ligaments).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now