Talk

Advanced search

to think this was an ill advised thing to ask?

(31 Posts)
Babbaganush Fri 31-Mar-17 18:03:19

I was on an interview panel earlier, candidate didn't really sell herself and didn't seem to have researched the post. Her only question for the panel was "how much is sick pay?"

ImperialBlether Fri 31-Mar-17 18:05:56

grin

She gave herself away there, didn't she?

hoopdeloop Fri 31-Mar-17 18:06:04

Have you contacted her references to see if she has a history of being off sick?

Aside from all that- it is a very strange question to ask!

Asmoto Fri 31-Mar-17 18:09:10

As an isolated question, I'd think it very ill-advised! If it was included in a series of other questions I'd possibly be more inclined to see it as the candidate being a very thorough type. Do you think she genuinely wanted the post, given that she didn't sell herself either?

Babbaganush Fri 31-Mar-17 18:09:27

She didn't get the job, there were stronger candidates!

Babbaganush Fri 31-Mar-17 18:10:06

It was the only thing she asked!!!!

AnathemaPulsifer Fri 31-Mar-17 18:10:10

grin careless!

Asmoto Fri 31-Mar-17 18:17:30

She would have done better to say 'Can you tell me about the employee benefits you offer?' and if needed prompt with 'Do you have an occupational sick pay scheme'. If you want to ask something like that, you need to give the impression it's so you can weigh that company's job offer up against the countless others you'll be getting, because you're so fantastic wink.

TrollMummy Fri 31-Mar-17 18:43:58

This is the last thing an employer wants to hearshock

BewtySkoolDropowt Fri 31-Mar-17 19:02:27

I suspect she didn't want the job... Is she currently working? Maybe she had to go to prove to the job centre that she is trying to find work...

Mu123 Fri 31-Mar-17 19:22:42

grin talk about verbal diarrhoea!

maggiethemagpie Fri 31-Mar-17 19:26:31

You should never ask about benefits until offer time!

ragz134 Fri 31-Mar-17 19:29:19

I can never think of sensible questions to ask in interviews... But that is odd. She may be kicking herself for it now though.

StarryIllusion Fri 31-Mar-17 19:38:11

Probably had a mind blank, panicked and asked the first thing that sprang to mind.

BlueDaBaDee Fri 31-Mar-17 19:56:27

OP, what's the best sort of question to ask in that situation? I always struggle. Though I wouldn't be that thick shockgrin

TonaldDrump Fri 31-Mar-17 21:27:58

Bluebadee

One interviewee asked us 'is there a question I should ask but haven't?' smile

Asmoto Fri 31-Mar-17 21:33:03

Tonald - did they get the job?

Lingotria Fri 31-Mar-17 21:41:41

I can top that story - I went to an interview once and really didn't like the office and had a bad experience of a worker telling me to fuck off on my way in. Interview was fantastic, you could see the excitement in the manager's eyes I know I would def have got the job, but in any other questions - I asked if I could withdraw my application lol.

WyfOfBathe Fri 31-Mar-17 22:39:26

Maybe her current job acted really badly when she was ill so she wanted to be sure confused

It's still not a great question to lead with grin

Emphasise Fri 31-Mar-17 22:46:00

Is that a good question Tonald? I quite like it but wonder if it's a bit too "clever".

I find this part of interviews hard too. When I've done my prep and got some really good inciteful questions, it has sometimes felt like the panel were put out at me putting them on the spot, but more inane questions feel either pointless or like things I should have found out before applying.

HollaHolla Fri 31-Mar-17 23:18:24

My usual is; 'What would you say the biggest challenge (or my major achievements) should be in my first 6 months, if I were successful.'
It generally gets a bit of chat....

Spam88 Fri 31-Mar-17 23:24:26

I never have any questions to ask at the end but that's because I ask things throughout..? Hopefully interviewers don't see it as a problem!

Will remember the sick pay one for next time though grin

(also my phone just corrected it to dick pay)

Dodoobdedoob Sat 01-Apr-17 00:41:04

Lol Lingotria grin

BreconBeBuggered Sat 01-Apr-17 01:00:03

I once asked a similar question to the one Tonald mentions, and no, I didn't get the job.

Katie0705 Sat 01-Apr-17 01:37:57

Spam88 Dick pay...I must remember to ask that next time I have an interview. That could be a very interesting take on flexible family working lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now