Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be shocked at this

(109 Posts)
Stilllookingforthestars Fri 31-Mar-17 16:58:36

This (honestly!) isn't a rehash of all the BREXIT arguments of late. However, at school today a teacher said to a group of eleven year olds (in the context of discussing a text) 'well, there are always going to be silly, racist people around, there are in this country, that's led to us leaving europe'

(I know we aren't leaving Europe) But anyway, AIBU to think this is totally inappropriate?

StillDrivingMeBonkers Fri 31-Mar-17 17:00:21

Why is it inappropriate? It's perfectly true.

BillSykesDog Fri 31-Mar-17 17:00:33

YANBU

Floggingmolly Fri 31-Mar-17 17:01:18

Yes, you are

Stressedouttraineeteacher Fri 31-Mar-17 17:02:20

Vv inappropriate though I agree

StruggleAvenue Fri 31-Mar-17 17:02:34

What bit is innapropriate? The fact that the teacher said we are Brexiting because people are racist or because she said there are always going to be silly racist people generally?

ImperialBlether Fri 31-Mar-17 17:03:08

Of course we're leaving Europe! Obviously we'll be part of the geographical landmass, but politically and economically we are leaving Europe.

And she's right; generally speaking racism and stupidity was the cause of us leaving.

harderandharder2breathe Fri 31-Mar-17 17:03:14

Yab, it's true

harderandharder2breathe Fri 31-Mar-17 17:03:23

Yabu, it's true

ConferencePear Fri 31-Mar-17 17:04:24

YANBU .
If a teacher is going to be teaching politics to eleven year olds she needs to be doing it in a rather more sophisticated way than this.
I thought teachers were not supposed to express political views ?

Stilllookingforthestars Fri 31-Mar-17 17:05:13

I feel it was inappropriate to state that the reason for leaving was stupidity and racism. Even if you agree, the point was many of those children's parents will have voted to leave.

Had she said something political from the other point of view I would say the same.

NerrSnerr Fri 31-Mar-17 17:05:19

I don't think it's shocking and think she's right. We wouldn't be leaving the EU if it wasn't for silly racist people who use that bloody NHS bus as an excuse.

StealthPolarBear Fri 31-Mar-17 17:08:33

Yes I think she shouldn't state her opinion (or if she does she should at least try to balance the message)

Stilllookingforthestars Fri 31-Mar-17 17:14:45

Genuinely though, those who are stating that she is right, so it's okay.

Is it okay for her to say that those who vote conservative are selfish and heartless? Many on here would argue that this is right.

gamerchick Fri 31-Mar-17 17:14:47

Well it was daft to voice her political views to a bunch of kids who could well go home, tell their parents who may have voted leave and have a load of complaints made against her for being unprofessional. Keep shit to yourself when you're at work even if you're upset about it.

Gwenci Fri 31-Mar-17 17:16:17

YANBU op, of course she's allowed an opinion in her personal life but in her professional capacity as a teacher she shouldn't be expressing views like that.

I was/am a staunch remainer and am upset things have turned out this way. However, to say everyone who voted Leave is an ignorant, silly racist is just ridiculous.

ComeOnSpring Fri 31-Mar-17 17:16:56

Teaching should be impartial.

Brighteyes27 Fri 31-Mar-17 17:17:14

The teacher is right. Too many racist idiots bought into this idea.
At about the same age around 10 11. I remember being at school in 70's during all miners strikes disrupting country my parents believed all in popular press and slated them. I sort of went along with my parents beliefs it was hard getting breakfast and ready for school with no light.
Until a favourite teacher of mine originally from a strong mining community told us a tale that all the men in his family had always worked down the pit until him. His great grandad was ill and died a horrible death around during the time of the strikes. I changed my views then and began questioning and thinking for myself instead of what my parents thought. YABU

Gwenci Fri 31-Mar-17 17:19:15

Is it okay for her to say that those who vote conservative are selfish and heartless?

No. It's ok for her to think that and to express it when she's 'off duty' in a personal capacity. It's not ok for her to say that at work as a teacher.

Mrskeats Fri 31-Mar-17 17:19:20

She's right though
I am a teacher and don't know one teacher who voted leave
I bet the teacher is fed up of education cuts which will also lead to further cuts
I would be v upset to have my kids taught by people who think racism is all fine

BillSykesDog Fri 31-Mar-17 17:19:56

Teachers shouldn't bring their personal politics into class. Whether she is right or not is objective. I doubt many posters saying she is right would be happy about a Brexiteer opining to class about how terrible the EU was.

Teachers being able to push one political viewpoint on pupils but not another takes us into the realms of propaganda. Best just to keep politics out of the classroom altogether.

LockedOutOfMN Fri 31-Mar-17 17:20:03

You're being unreasonable. Teachers are allowed to express opinions. Your child is more interested in the situation now and forming his or her own opinion which is what education's all about. Also, the teacher was correct.

Stilllookingforthestars Fri 31-Mar-17 17:23:20

Teachers aren't actually allowed to express political viewpoints in this way LockedOut

It's not my child. I witnessed it.

brickinitIam Fri 31-Mar-17 17:23:48

Report her to the Head.
It's really unacceptable that she's foisting her political views onto children.

Would people think it OK if she had told the children she voted Brexit and that she's pleased that we are leaving?
I bet the whingers would have something to say about that hmm

Mrskeats Fri 31-Mar-17 17:23:51

No I wouldn't be happy with a Brexit person teaching esp if there are children not born here in the class
Has no one thought that this may be the issue?
I spent the day after the referendum trying to reassure European students that everyone here does not hate them
The teacher has lots to try and balance

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now