Talk

Advanced search

bin dilemma - wibu? [lighthearted]

(21 Posts)
someonestolemynick Fri 31-Mar-17 13:33:53

Disclaimer - I think I was the pinnacle of reason. grin

So, today was bin day. I was leaving for work about 10 minutes ago. I was about to move the recycling bin, when I realised that the bin people had swapped our bin and next door's. NDN had already brought our bin into their front garden.
I knocked on their door - no answer. So I did, what I would refer to, as the only sensible thing: I swapped the bins back and left.
They will never now, the bins are both intact, surely it would have been more annoying to seek the neighbours permission to swap back.
But 2 years on mumsnet made me wonder, was ibu? Was I trespassing or maybe even stealing? shock
Out me out of my misery mumsnet.

someonestolemynick Fri 31-Mar-17 13:51:55

Or maybe I just win most boring thread of the day. Would a diagram help?

MargotLovedTom1 Fri 31-Mar-17 13:54:22

Of course you were NBU. I think MN makes people second guess the most innocuous of things but in the real world what you did is entirely normal.

someonestolemynick Fri 31-Mar-17 14:00:41

Thanks Margot, sometimes I imagine how small petty problems would work out on MN (Aibu to not get up and turn off the hallway light now I'm in bed). I thought this one deserves the scrutiny of real mumsnet. smile

cakesandphotos Fri 31-Mar-17 14:10:24

I would have done the same (I think, I might have bottled it)
When I was a student, one of our neighbour's kept adopting our bin so one night we stole it back and slapped a massive number 3 on the sides and top. It never went wandering again

floraeasy Fri 31-Mar-17 14:23:13

I think you've better tread very carefully indeed, OP shock

You may not be in the clear just yet! Are you in a Neighbourhood Watch area? If so, your actions may have already been recorded and passed onto the local police. They may be on their way to interview you, as I type this.

Then what will you do?!!?!?

grin

Trills Fri 31-Mar-17 14:24:49

Are the bins labelled?

Is one of the bins better than the other?

Firstaidnovice Fri 31-Mar-17 14:29:15

If i was your neighbour I'd log it with 101 probably.

someonestolemynick Fri 31-Mar-17 14:37:27

Ok, I'll admit it: I did it because I just wanted the 101 log book street cred.

The bins are labelled and our bin is the subject of bin envy in the entire neighbourhood exactly the same as theirs.

floraeasy Fri 31-Mar-17 14:40:24

Does your bin smell of Zoflora though?

Firstaidnovice Fri 31-Mar-17 15:11:21

It's also quite possible that your neighbours consider it unreasonable to open the door if they aren't expecting someone, and so they watched your whole unreasonable trespassing from their upstairs windows.

Happyandhungry Fri 31-Mar-17 15:13:32

Diagram definitely required grin

caz323 Fri 31-Mar-17 15:18:09

Bin there - done that! grin

floraeasy Fri 31-Mar-17 15:32:04

Have you heard that jokes about the bin?

It's rubbish

grin

floraeasy Fri 31-Mar-17 15:32:36

smile This thread is being LITTERED with RECYCLED jokes.

FadedRed Fri 31-Mar-17 15:40:19

HaHaHa! You think you've got a problem, Op?
Our NDN's regularly put out and bring in our bin(s), park on our drive when we are on holiday, take in parcels and bring them round when we get home, have keys to our house and actually are friends. (And we do the same for them).
Total MN fraud, me! <runs off and hides>

floraeasy Fri 31-Mar-17 15:42:33

Who do your neighbours think they are, Faded? How presumptuous of them. I'm shocked shock

Next thing, you'll be telling me you swap Christmas cards and you could call on them in an emergency.

The world is surely going to hell in a hand-basket.

Porpoiselife Fri 31-Mar-17 15:51:47

It's also quite possible that your neighbours consider it unreasonable to open the door if they aren't expecting someone, and so they watched your whole unreasonable trespassing from their upstairs windows.

grin grin grin grin grin

yaela123 Fri 31-Mar-17 16:23:16

Have the police arrived yet?

FadedRed Fri 31-Mar-17 16:27:28

floraeasy oh dear, yes to all you say, sad.
I'm going to have to leave MN and go to the Dark Side, aren't I? <sob>

floraeasy Fri 31-Mar-17 16:37:32

It's an awful position to be in Faded - you need to be more careful next time you buy a house. Scope out the neighbourhood properly and make sure you get decent neighbours next time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now