Talk

Advanced search

To not get the white car craze?

(131 Posts)
Snugglepalace Fri 31-Mar-17 13:20:24

Everyone I know who has purchased a new car in recent years has chosen white, every other car on the road seems to be white!
Fashions come & go and each to their own I know but when you buy a new car you are shown a chart full of of amazing beautiful colours, why would anyone choose boring old white? They remind me of works vehicles/vans/salesmen cars!
And sorry but nothing (imo) looks as WAG-like as a white BMW/Mercedes/Range Rover!!

blackteasplease Fri 31-Mar-17 13:25:20

I haven't really noticed.

I like white fiats, white small cars.

But I also like black cars.

IndianaMoleWoman Fri 31-Mar-17 13:25:31

I don't get it either. It's like they forgot to paint it a proper colour.

HolditFinger Fri 31-Mar-17 13:27:06

I've seen it dying off over the last year. It all started because the free colour in most dealers was white. Now it's black, so seeing a lot more new black cars.

Happyandhungry Fri 31-Mar-17 13:27:13

My husband always used to want a white car and everyone used to scoff and call him a white van man is hiding! Now its fashionable he's moved to wanting a brown car..i remember years ago there was a phase of everyone having silver cars!

user1471496670 Fri 31-Mar-17 13:30:06

I have a white cabriolet with a black hood and love it!
I couldn't care less if it's seen as common/works van/wag like or any other generalisation. It's my dream car and I picked the colour that looked best.
I've also owned blue, green, black and red cars. Different cars suit different colours.

blackteasplease Fri 31-Mar-17 13:30:08

A brown car? I have never seen a brown car, or not since I was a little child.

Snugglepalace Fri 31-Mar-17 13:30:12

I didn't realise white was free with new cars.

Snugglepalace Fri 31-Mar-17 13:31:52

My grandad had a brown Lada my Dsis and I would cringe if he came to pick us up from school.

coursesforhorses Fri 31-Mar-17 13:32:26

I've noticed
White Range Rover seems to be the thing around here. I can't stand them

ItsNachoCheese Fri 31-Mar-17 13:34:18

snugglepalace omg my gran had a lada samara but hers was white. Relate totally to the cringiness of getting picked up in it haha

wonkylegs Fri 31-Mar-17 13:34:20

When we bought our Discovery Sport the only 'free' colour was white.... I do not want a white car, I live in the countryside it would be filthy everyday, I like my cars to be browny/grey - my thunder grey yaris is a perfect colour, unfortunately they no longer seem to do that one.

Offler Fri 31-Mar-17 13:34:55

My car is white, but the reason I chose it (used car) was the model and mileage.

Crunchyside Fri 31-Mar-17 13:35:20

I think white cars look naff too. It makes expensive cars look cheap and it shows dirt horribly as well. And yeah why would you want a car that's more associated with vans, or police cars and ambulances?!

Agree silver is a bit dated now as everyone had silver cars in early 2000s.

Personally I think you can't go wrong with black and red - both timeless classic colours. English racing green or dark blue for sports cars also acceptable! Cream and pastels okay on retro type cars like Fiat 500s or Nissan Figaros. Apart from that all other colours are naff... as you can see I have strong opinions on car colours grin

The other factor is lease cars - if you are buying your own car which you plan to sell in the future then it's often worth spending the 500 on metallic paint as it will help to sell it and increase the value at the other end, and you will probably like it better.

If you are leasing you know that it's going back after x years but generally any extras are added entirely to the lease cost (so they don't account for the increase in value) so if you choose metallic paint on a two year lease the payments go up by £20+ per month. Plus you often have to wait months for the right colour whereas default white is available quicker. Lots more individuals and companies lease these days.

<has a white lease car>

twobambinos Fri 31-Mar-17 13:35:58

Bought a new car recently there was no great chart to choose from op. There was about 6 colours and didn't choose white. There was only one free colour included and all the rest were extra so perhaps the white is free in a lot of cars now and thats why people choose it.

Crunchyside Fri 31-Mar-17 13:36:52

And don't even get me started on that horrible metallic orange colour that you see on big BMWs etc!

randomsabreuse Fri 31-Mar-17 13:37:00

White is showy- like white trousers, you can keep the car clean only if you have a certain lifestyle.

A previous car belonging to my DH was white. He is a vet in a rural area. It rapidly became beige... which is less of a good look.

OneFlewOverTheDodosNest Fri 31-Mar-17 13:37:59

I'd never have white but only because I couldn't be bothered with cleaning it every week - a good greyish/silver is best for hiding dirt!

littlemissM92 Fri 31-Mar-17 13:38:25

My cars white and I wouldn't of chose that model in any other colour personally think it's the nicest

cowgirlsareforever Fri 31-Mar-17 13:38:27

Leased vehicles are usually white. As a pp has said it's because it's a 'free' colour.

Cornettoninja Fri 31-Mar-17 13:39:27

I like white cars, a lot of these new ones look like storm troopers. This pleases me.

The only colour I have a strong preference for is yellow. Largely due to all the dead legs I would be responsible for. This also pleases me grin

MissAdaSmith Fri 31-Mar-17 13:40:31

we have a white car as it was the free colour. just couldn't care enough about a car colour to pay extra for it.

wasonthelist Fri 31-Mar-17 13:40:50

I am glad - I had white cars in the 80s because I like the colour. Then everyone decided they were horrid and they died out - glad they are back. I don't think it's a boring colour at all.

RaeSkywalker Fri 31-Mar-17 13:42:17

I have a white car, because it was the cheapest option in the model I wanted and I was about to go on maternity leave when I got it. I used to be really fussy about the colour of my cars, but couldn't car either less now.

DH is happy because he thinks that white cars are more visible, and therefore the baby and I are safer in this car. He has major PFB syndrome!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now