Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Baby has bumped head HELP

(27 Posts)
LouBlue1507 Fri 31-Mar-17 13:01:46

My DD is 8 months and has just fallen forward and smashed her forehead onto the ledge of a wooden toy!

There is an instant lump and bluish bruise, literally instant! She cried for a few seconds but she won't let me put a cold compress on her. She's wrestled me and I feel I'm making her worse.

She's playing on the floor now. I am so upset I feel like th worst mum in the world sadsadsadsadsad

blueskyinmarch Fri 31-Mar-17 13:03:48

That is likely to be the first of many bumps. It makes you feel like a shit mum but it is pretty normal for tots who are starting to get mobile.

Oldbrownowl Fri 31-Mar-17 13:04:28

try not to panic, all babies bump their heads, it doesn't make you a bad mum.

If she is fine and happily playing, not tired etc. she is more than likely fine.

My ds fell off the sofa and I was in such a panic that I rushed him to the gp, there was absolutely nothing wrong with him, babies are resilient.

PastaOfMuppets Fri 31-Mar-17 13:05:27

LouBlue, you can't stop an active child from being active, as upsetting as it is seeing your child hurt. If DD is playing now and seems ok, if she feeds as normal, it's unlikely there's anything wrong, but a gp or a nurse won't make you feel judged if you took her to get checked just in case. flowers

MatildaTheCat Fri 31-Mar-17 13:06:16

Keep an eye on her and if you are concerned take her to A&E but chances are it's just a nasty bruise. Babies are forever bumping their heads as they get mobile.

Watch for vomiting or unusual drowsiness.

You are not the worst mum, babies get mobile and bump into stuff, that's life.

Sweets101 Fri 31-Mar-17 13:07:08

It's par for the course tbh. Keep an eye on her, she's​ probably fine!

LilQueenie Fri 31-Mar-17 13:07:22

DD used to bump her head all the time. I felt so bad each and every time but she is fine. Just look out for her being sick. When she sleeps try to rouse her a little. If she does that then all is good.

LouBlue1507 Fri 31-Mar-17 13:07:58

Photo!

Waddlelikeapenguin Fri 31-Mar-17 13:09:05

There's a quote about better a broken arm than a broken spirit - you have to let them explore & sometimes that means they hurt themselves.
Make yourself a cup of tea. Arnica is great for bruises.

blueskyinmarch Fri 31-Mar-17 13:10:09

Nice bump!

We used to call DD2 Little Miss Bumpy Head as she pretty much always had a bump or bruise on her head. She has survived all the way to age 19 (years)!

HairsprayBabe Fri 31-Mar-17 13:18:38

My baby brother had so many bumps on his head between 8 months and 5 years that we all called him Lumpy still do

Has had no lasting effect on him, he is 18 now and a bit of a potato but I don't think that is bump related!

Cakescakescakes Fri 31-Mar-17 13:20:20

If the bump is firm and baby isn't vomiting or drowsy then unlikely to be any problems. If baby is sick, appears sleepy or lethargic and (crucially) the bump feels soft or 'boggy' then you need to see a doctor.

gamerchick Fri 31-Mar-17 13:21:57

Yep firm bumps are good. Just keep an eye, you'll know if she's out of sorts with it.

I remember seriously trying to think of ways to pad the head when they started getting on theithe feet. That's nerve wracking but they all bump their heads eventually.

IrishTwin Fri 31-Mar-17 13:23:57

Right of passage with kids I'm afraid! I was told when I took my son to A&E with a huge head bump that basically if the bump comes out of the head and doesn't go into the head then don't worry they will be fine!

Slothlikesundays Fri 31-Mar-17 13:24:54

My usually very steady sitter keeled over backwards into the hardwood floor yesterday. She has a lovely bruise and had a little cry then has been fine. Worry it they are drowsy, if they cry for more than ten minutes or the develop a bruise behind their ears.
Babies are well designed and rarely hurt themselves falling from their own height. The thud yesterday was sickening but I'm the only one it really bothered, dd is seemingly oblivious after her cuddle.

IloveBanff Fri 31-Mar-17 13:27:41

Why wasn't your baby wearing a crash helmet? How negligent!

wink

Cornettoninja Fri 31-Mar-17 13:32:10

You've had some great first aid advice so I'm just here to sympathise!

Dd cracked her head off the wooden floor when she was about 9/10 months and pulling up on everything. She got a bit fancy and tried to turn round grin massive great lump like that one and dp and I both freaked out like the good pfber's we are!

Dd was(is) very lacking in the hair department, I'm sure it makes it worse when you can clearly see every bump and bruise.

Had to watch that freaky head pulse for months and now it's all the war wounds wink

PatMullins Fri 31-Mar-17 13:35:41

Poor little love, possibly first of many!

Don't sweat it, there is good advice on this thread r.e bumps so keep an eye on it but I'm sure it will be ok smile

brewfor you!

Applebite Fri 31-Mar-17 13:36:09

My DD fell on her toy bus last weekend and has a purple nose with a scratch running right between her nostrils like a lion!

Kids do it, can't be helped - you're NOT a shit mum!!! So long as she's happy and herself and not sleepy, just tell yourself it's the first of many, and don't worry smile

Hoppinggreen Fri 31-Mar-17 13:38:50

Look at it this way, youve got the first one out of the way.
It will be fine OP, be kind to yourself

Craiconwithit Fri 31-Mar-17 13:45:11

My friend was stood holding her baby DS when she saw a spider drop onto her shoulder. She screamed and threw the baby into the air. Both were fine but the spider was traumatised. grin

Dontrocktheboat Fri 31-Mar-17 13:55:08

I bent down to pick something off the floor the other day whilst holding my toddler and whacked his head on the corner of the kitchen unit. It immediately came up in massive, egg shaped bruise and he would not let me put a cold compress on it either. Toyed with going to a and e but from experience all they tell you to do is watch out for if they are drowsy or sick, and after a lot of screaming he was fine!

It had gone down the next day. Babies skulls are designed to take these kind of bumps!

MumW Fri 31-Mar-17 14:04:27

I feel your pain. When DD was about 18 months, she rushed across the drive and sat on the wall. On our side she could sit with her feet on the groung but a drop the other side of around 3/3.5 feet down to paving slabs. She had form of sitting down and just leaning back so we knew exactly what was going to happen but couldn't get to her quick enough.

She is now a teenager, in the top of her year on course for straight 8 & 9 at GCSE so it obviously knocked some sense into her. wink

On a more serious note, we called the surgery and they just told us to keep a close eye on her for a few days. I'm sure she will be fine but if you are really concerned then give your surgey a ring and ask their advice.

KayTee87 Fri 31-Mar-17 14:13:00

My 8 month old hit his head off his wardrobe the other day by rolling into it - don't worry smile

Rainatnight Fri 31-Mar-17 14:17:30

I really sympathise. Six weeks ago, we adopted an 8 month old baby and she had more or less the same thing within the first few days of coming home and we FREAKED out.

You've had great advice here.

We're a lot more relaxed about it now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now