Talk

Advanced search

To sack off potty training and try again later?

(14 Posts)
Aliasnumberone Fri 31-Mar-17 10:58:34

I have two and a half year old twins, we're four days into potty training... house bound and not making any progress.

We've had some deposits in the potty but not because they've told me they needed to go, it's literally been because I sat them in the potties and they just sat there whilst reading stories till it happened ( like we sat for half an hour...) at one point yesterday we sat on the potties singing songs for half an hour with no joy and got up put pants on etc and literally two minutes later they were both standing in big puddles.

Not sure if it's worth the confinement if they're not interested? Should I persist or just write it off as a misadventure and leave it a couple of months?

CruCru Fri 31-Mar-17 11:00:09

Yes, put it off and try again in two months. If they aren't ready, they aren't ready.

SprogletsMum Fri 31-Mar-17 11:01:03

Ah definitely leave it, it's not worth the stress when they're not ready.
I potty trained dc3 a couple of months ago and within 4 days she was completely dry in and out of the house because she was ready.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Fri 31-Mar-17 11:02:34

They're not ready. I have to admit I think this was the only thing I got right: I waited till DS was ready (3.6 shock) and he did it in a day - one puddle and that was that. There are some good books about potty training (for DCs) that I might introduce in the meantime, but apart from that cut yourself some slack and try again later.

Belmo Fri 31-Mar-17 11:02:34

I'd never thought about the fact parents of twins have to potty train two at once!! Definitely leave it! I hated potty training one - make it as easy as you can.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Fri 31-Mar-17 11:03:08

You also may find one is ready before the other?

CoraPirbright Fri 31-Mar-17 11:03:31

Yup sack it off. I waited til nearly 3 to train dd and it was done in a week. No point in trying til their ready. Frustrating for everyone!

cakesandphotos Fri 31-Mar-17 11:05:12

Sounds like they're not ready. No point in stressing everyone out if it's not working. Kids do things in their own time smile

Aliasnumberone Fri 31-Mar-17 11:07:20

Thanks everyone, I think I'll admit defeat on this one!! We seriously need to get out of the house before we all loose the plot confused

To be honest I only started because she was being an arse and bending my ear about it. He can go swing.... unless he wants to pick poo out of 'big boy pants'

Aliasnumberone Fri 31-Mar-17 11:07:51

Dh rather, not she ^

MrsELM21 Fri 31-Mar-17 11:13:07

Another one saying give up!! When they're ready it's really easy, when they're not it's a nightmare! Nappies/pull ups back on and go out and enjoy your day!

Chwaraeteg Fri 31-Mar-17 11:16:52

Have you tried bribery?

My dd didn't seem to have any idea when she was about to wee for the first two days of potty training. Many puddles on the floor. I was convinced I had misjudged the situation and was going to put her back in nappies. Then my mother showed up with a big bag of chocolates and said 'do a wee on the potty and nanny will give you a chocolate'. She marched straight over to the potty and did a wee!

That said, two and a half is still young, so no big deal if you want to try again another day.

Good luck!

ALemonyPea Fri 31-Mar-17 11:17:10

I'm definitely in the "wait until they're ready" camp when it comes to potty training. There is no benefit to forcing them to do it when they're not ready. All the tears, tantrums and accidents just aren't worth it.

Aliasnumberone Fri 31-Mar-17 12:04:40

Well they both have nappies back on... nail in the coffin was ten minutes ago when I told them I needed a wee and did they want to come upstairs and 'help' me (lots of what does mumy have to do now? 'Pull down your pants mummy' shouting) Well the two of them refused and stood in the hallway shouting 'mummy are you finished yet' and when I came down they were both stood in big puddles.....

nappies resurrected and reinstated

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now