Talk

Advanced search

to bring up food budgets again?

(65 Posts)
meladeso Fri 31-Mar-17 09:04:57

I know this has been done to death

I just would like
straw poll on what is a reasonable, sensible, healthy (fresh fruit aplenty) but not OTT extravagant weekly grocery spend please

I've never properly budgeted before, but expect I could have been more careful and doubtless saved money

We're 2 adults, 2 DC of 4 and just under 1

Is £60 about right? £80? Or less? Wdyt?

helenfagain Fri 31-Mar-17 09:06:01

2 adults and 1 toddler dc here. We spend £45/50 Inc nappies and wipes.

Orangebird69 Fri 31-Mar-17 09:07:56

1 adult, 1 toddler. £50ish a week. Not including nappies/wipes.

meladeso Fri 31-Mar-17 09:11:21

Thanks for the replies
So on that basis about £60 for one extra little seems about right
That's where it seems to be coming out, sometimes creeping to £70

bigboypants Fri 31-Mar-17 09:12:10

2 adults, 2 dcs here, one still in nappies just at night. I budget about £70 per week. I manage to stick to it by splitting the shopping between Lidl for most things, home bargains for cleaning bits and toilet rolls and tesco or whichever supermarket has the dairy alternatives on offer for one dc who has cmpa.

Bit of a faff not to get it all in one place but not worth spending the extra imo.

MissAdaSmith Fri 31-Mar-17 09:13:44

2 adults and 2 DC (6 & 9). we cook.from scratch, don't eat out or have take aways and DH and I take food from home to work (leftovers or sandwiches).

we spend about £120/week (Lidl and Sainsbury's). this includes also cleaning products & toiletries. It is a lot, I know but we eat really well and healthy. we skimp elsewhere.

BewtySkoolDropowt Fri 31-Mar-17 09:14:04

I spend £40-£43, 2 adults, 2 cats. That includes all cleaning products too.

SquedgieBeckenheim Fri 31-Mar-17 09:15:54

2 adults, a 2 year old and a newborn here. Shop at Sainsburys as it's our only supermarket nearby. Spend £50-60 a week on groceries.

meladeso Fri 31-Mar-17 09:19:46

MissAda
See, that's what I think I was probably spending some weeks, and on tops of that one take away or similar a week, and eating out, and DH not taking packed lunch!

soupmaker Fri 31-Mar-17 09:22:44

2 adults, 2 kids one at school one at nursery school. About £75 a week. That's everything. Fresh fish from the van on a Friday, toiletries and cleaning products, lunches for everyone, beer and wine, etc. I shop in Aldi and Morrisons for meat. We cook from scratch every day. I use loads of frozen veg and often buy fresh and freeze when veg on offer.

MissAdaSmith Fri 31-Mar-17 09:26:32

meladeso,
I have a few friends who spend far less than us on groceries but eat out, have takeways, get lunch from the canteen. In the end of the day, they spend far more than we do (and it lots of crap that way too).

jennymac31 Fri 31-Mar-17 09:26:49

2 adults and a toddler and we tend to spend £40-£50 a week on shopping but dc no 2 is due in may so expect the costs to rise with nappies and wipes purchases etc.

bigboypants Fri 31-Mar-17 09:27:32

It depends on what you're buying too. We rarely drink so alcohol isn't included in any budget and would definitely send us over.

If you're making lunches for school and work and homemade dinners, no jars of sauces, ready meals, meal kits etc that's going to be a different spend to someone having school dinners and buying lunches out etc.

I thought my grocery spend was about average, but one mum at school was chatting about food once and was really surprised and asked me what we were eating to spend so little. I was a bit confused we eat well but not super super healthy; always fruit in and I make a pretty balanced packed lunch, dinners might not be that exciting but they always include a bit of everything. We never really have puddings but I doubt that makes much difference. I didn't ask what she buys so no idea which of us is odd.

MyBreadIsEggy Fri 31-Mar-17 09:29:28

2 adults, 1 toddler, 1 baby (not on solids yet) and a cat.
We spend around £80 in Aldi on a big shop - normal groceries (including 2 lots of nappies) + toiletries/cleaning products/other stuff we don't need every week.
On a normal week, we usually don't spend more than £60 in Aldi.

meladeso Fri 31-Mar-17 09:32:57

Bigboypants

I'm not including alcohol, which we buy separately

We scratch cook absolutely everything, no puddings, and lots of fresh fruit and veg which is obvs pricey

I do buy frozen veg too, but usually that just gets used for the DC

meladeso Fri 31-Mar-17 09:34:28

I was doing aldi + Tesco / Sainsbury's for branded / things we don't like from Aldi
Really ad hoc and going several times a week (currently not working)

But just switched to weekly online delivery hence the sudden interest

brexitstolemyfuture Fri 31-Mar-17 09:40:27

2 adults 2 DC 150 ish. We eat healthy and don't have bread or pasta

PodgeBod Fri 31-Mar-17 09:44:52

2 adults, 2yo and 6mo. We spend about £60 which includes everything, lots of fruit and far too much junk. 2 in nappies but no formula. Weekly shop in aldi, plus twice a month Tesco.

2 adults and a 5yo, about £70 a week including cleaning stuff. We generally take packed lunches out if that. We eat very well, we don't use pre made sauces or marinades etc., no ready meals other than the odd pizza. Only other convenience food is pot noodles that do likes for work confused but I normally go to somewhere like home bargains for that type of thing.

I'd probably spend more if I shopped for everything at Tesco/Sainsbury's etc. but I tend to go to Home Bargains or B&M to get ambient stuff then fresh from either Lidl, Aldi or Tesco.

BarbaraofSeville Fri 31-Mar-17 10:44:37

Totally depends what you buy and where from. Fruit and veg can be quite cheap if you buy in season, shop in Aldi, Lidl or the market and use some canned or frozen, which still counts. And have some cheaper fruit like apples and bananas.

Or it can be very very expensive if you are buying lots of berries and things like asparagus from waitrose or M&S.

It's unreasonable to use the most expensive types of fruit from the most expensive supermarkets as evidence that eating healthly is very expensive and people spending less must have a shit diet. Fruit is high in sugar and most of your 5/10 a day should be vegetables.

1stTimeMama Fri 31-Mar-17 11:02:31

Between £70-100 a week here, depending what my meal plan is for that week and what household bits I need. This is for 2 adults and 4 children, with 3 of them in nappies.
I buy a lot of organic, but we don't drink or have take aways, so the cost balances out I think.

EnjoyYourVegetables Fri 31-Mar-17 11:03:23

Fruit and veg is price flexible ime. Buy seasonal offers rather than always buying the same month in month out.

Potatoes are still a great way to fill up a family. I only buy fruit juice if we are having guests!
I can't give our amounts as I share shopping with my DP and do a lot of "bitty" shopping.

mickeydobbs Fri 31-Mar-17 11:06:56

I was spending £60 a week for 2 adults and 2 DC under 7. That was really comfortable and we ate well. But I am having to put the budget up to £70 a week now because things have been creeping up in price.

SprogletsMum Fri 31-Mar-17 11:09:27

2 adults, 3 dc 1 cat here. I budget £80 a week, including toiletries and cleaning products.
Dp buys his lunch at work though, if I had to buy stuff for that too I'd imagine we'd be more like £90- £95.

QueenOfTheCatBastards Fri 31-Mar-17 11:11:00

One adult, three children, all the cats in the universe. Spend about £100 a week I'd say. £75 or so on a Tesco shop, then odds and ends as the week goes on. That's for everything like wash products for laundry and dishwasher, toiletries, food and litter for 4 deranged CatBastards, and a metric fuckton of wipes for the incontinent five year old.

I probably could spend less, but after years of desperately having to budget I'm going a little crazy and enjoying not needing to. I'll probably rein myself in again soon enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now