Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think if the minimum wage has gone up all other salaries should too?

(107 Posts)
PlayOnWurtz Fri 31-Mar-17 08:23:48

Because they haven't. I work in the public sector and My salary is now shit. For the stress I am under and the responsibilities I have my salary has become grossly devalued due to the NMW to the point I'm seriously considering jacking my job in and going to work in my local garden centre where I would probably enjoy myself more.

Aibu?

TheNaze73 Fri 31-Mar-17 08:25:13

No YANBU. You should work at the garden centre if it'll make you happy

watchoutformybutt Fri 31-Mar-17 08:25:50

YANBU the management commitee I'm on has just raised everyone's wages from those on NMW up to managers. We thought it was important to keep the differentiation there.

pinkblink Fri 31-Mar-17 08:26:13

No I get it, the cost of living has gone up for people on higher wages too, people who worked their way up to afford nicer things and more treats, which there will be less of if the basics have gone up in price

StereophonicallyChallenged Fri 31-Mar-17 08:27:32

In an ideal world all employers would reassess and adjust but it won't happen.

SaucyJack Fri 31-Mar-17 08:28:08

Well work in a garden centre if it'll make you happy. Your life matey :-)

But YABU to think that care workers or whatevs aren't also doing extremely stressful jobs that deserve a rate of pay that's slightly more in line average wages.

museumum Fri 31-Mar-17 08:30:25

If you're in the public sector then your union will be trying to negotiate an equivalent increase to keep the banding making sense in relation to relative skill and responsibility.
If you're not in a union then join - that's what they're for!

ShatnersWig Fri 31-Mar-17 08:30:34

When the wage went up last year, the rest of us were adjusted accordingly. That's not happening this time - the one member of staff on minimum is going up, the other three are not, which means the gap between a member of staff who has been here 14 years and has more responsibility and the one who has been here 6 with very little responsibility is much smaller.

YANBU. Unfortunately, it won't happen in most places because most firms or charities paying minimum or not much more than minimum can't find the extra. The only choice is to increase the cost of product or services, which customers won't pay, so you lose money, so staff get laid off etc.

ShotsFired Fri 31-Mar-17 08:31:51

if you think the private sector has more appeal overall, then do it.

But remember that the public sector for all its faults does have some excellent benefits and security that people in private would gasp at.

For what it's worth, I'm in private and and off the top of my head I can count maybe 6 or 7 payrises since I started working in the early 2000s, and almost all of them were down to me changing jobs/employer and progressing my career, not in-job. And certainly there has never been anything like a guaranteed annual review, banding scheme or raise. My pension provision in most cases has also been shitty, and not so much as a sniff at a final salary scheme.

But I think I'd in in prison if I had to work in the stifling, process-bound regime that (for example) is my local council.

munchkinmaster Fri 31-Mar-17 08:33:55

I work for the NHS and been on pay freeze for 5 years. My utilities have gone up, nursery fees, petrol.

Yanbu

PlayOnWurtz Fri 31-Mar-17 08:34:18

The public sector no longer has the perks it used to. Those were eroded long ago. Our jobs are more insecure than ever, if you want to apply for an internal job you have to give up your permanent contract as all posts are fixed term only for example. Pensions are dire. I could go on...

BlindAssassin1 Fri 31-Mar-17 08:34:26

Bit U really. I sympathise with the fact that wages are not rising in line with living costs but NMW is not necessarily a living wage for the region you live in and NMW workers are likely to be on zero hours contract. Working poverty is horrendously stressful.

HairsprayBabe Fri 31-Mar-17 08:35:37

If you are in the public sector it doesn't matter if you are in a union because our wage increases are capped at 1%

So I have effectively had a pay cut every year for the last 5... yay...

munchkinmaster Fri 31-Mar-17 08:35:43

Oh and they keep fucking around with my pension so now I'm worried I need a private one too as I don't know how much more they will change the rules in the future

PlayOnWurtz Fri 31-Mar-17 08:39:46

Thing is as great as the nmw is it does has this knock on effect. It raises the cost of living and it devalues other people salaries. Rather than making life better for everyone it will make life harder. Manufacturing costs will go up, public sector salaries will go up (or not if you're me and others like me!) pensions will go up...all it achieves is people having to pay more for things.

Cornettoninja Fri 31-Mar-17 08:42:09

I sympathise (nhs admin here smile) and honestly if you spot a job that you'll truly enjoy and the money makes sense then go for it.

I've looked around and honestly for the money I'm getting, with things like annual leave, sick pay and access to a decent occupational health department (I had physio through mine a few years ago) I can't justify jumping ship till I'm at a point of complete burn out or boredom.

I've done years of support working in the charity sector too so have an understanding of your role if it's patient facing, and think that kind of role is best rested for a while if you find yourself really resenting your conditions. I don't want to sound holier than thou, but pay is a small part of why you work in s role like that

Sciurus83 Fri 31-Mar-17 08:44:57

Civil service here too, 4 years on the bottom of the pay grade and effective pay cuts every year. My organisation is the worst paid in our government department to rub salt in the wound. It's the worst. NMW is a bit of a red herring, it needed to go up and not really related to our situation, which sucks.

Mysterycat23 Fri 31-Mar-17 08:46:08

YANBU. For those of us on wages in the range £8 to £10/h, with no hope of a commensurate pay rise, it's incredibly demoralising. It's like running up a downward escalator sad

However, IMO the increase in NMW is long overdue and still not enough.

Dozer Fri 31-Mar-17 08:48:24

When looking at different job options it's important to consider the overall value of pay and benefits, eg pension, annual leave, flexible working.

wasonthelist Fri 31-Mar-17 08:49:13

Not sure if yabu or not OP. I don't want my salary to go up, and I am prepared to pay more for stuff so we are paying people decently. I don't think it devalues my job/pay but I am lucky to have a job a like which is well paid and not too stressful.

Outbackshack Fri 31-Mar-17 08:57:06

0% pay rise for last 2 years. 1% year previous. It sucks ad everything else goes up. I worked out with all the work I take home (lecturer) and all the extra I have to do at weekend just to keep afloat I barely make minimum wage. Very depressing

ShotsFired Fri 31-Mar-17 08:57:39

PlayOnWurtz The public sector no longer has the perks it used to. Those were eroded long ago. Our jobs are more insecure than ever, if you want to apply for an internal job you have to give up your permanent contract as all posts are fixed term only for example. Pensions are dire. I could go on...

So then leave? Not really sure why you are still there if its so entirely awful?

IndianWinter Fri 31-Mar-17 08:57:51

YANBU

scaryclown Fri 31-Mar-17 09:02:16

No definitely not. If that happens economics will shift and the same problem will reoccur. Similar percentage gains across all wage bands sounds fair, but only if you are not very bright..It is the single biggest thinking error that magnifies and accelerates the unfair distribution of wages. Since it stretches the curve out faster and steeper at the higher ends. Of course that it's poor thinking is ignored and blustered about by the people who think they benefit, ..But that's because people like that look down the curve sticking their fingers up at the 'poor life choices' of those beneath, instead of looking up the curve at how much further they are drifting behind.

If you want more than your colleagues because you 'need' to feel you are better than them, then you are a pretty sorry human and shitty team player. I like my colleagues to do well and have nice lives as much as i want it for myself..

chantico Fri 31-Mar-17 09:05:53

In the twentieth century, this was called 'eroding differentials' and was much opposed by unions.

Times have changed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now