Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Why do people sit in car park with their engines running

(55 Posts)
greenenergy Thu 30-Mar-17 21:03:36

Like the person next to me right now.

It's not cold. We are waiting 5 mins to pink up DC from gym.

It's a waste of petrol and pumping out fumes into the air for no apparent reason

Mumzypopz Thu 30-Mar-17 21:05:45

Maybe they are cold. Often we have to sit outside an activity waiting for our kids, I'm cold but my partner isn't. Or maybe there is something wrong with their car and they are worried it won't start again.

PurpleDaisies Thu 30-Mar-17 21:07:36

I agree with you. My car has stop start technology so I don't even have the engine running waiting for traffic lights to change.

memyselfandaye Thu 30-Mar-17 21:07:37

In my case it's because I like the air con on, blasting in my face almost to the point of frostbite.

greenenergy Thu 30-Mar-17 21:07:55

It is 17 degrees. They are in a car

Foldedtshirt Thu 30-Mar-17 21:08:05

Maybe they're cold but it's hardly Antarctica, is it? It's my absolute bugbear and inexcusable.

BagittoGo Thu 30-Mar-17 21:08:06

They're probably the designated driver in bank robbery and will at any moment screech out of the car park. Tyres blazing! Or they're listening to music?

CrochetBelle Thu 30-Mar-17 21:09:02

Charging phone?

OdinsLoveChild Thu 30-Mar-17 21:09:22

I cant listen to my radio or have my heating/air con on without the engine being switched on. My cars old blush

bigkidsdidit Thu 30-Mar-17 21:09:42

It's so annoying. People wait on our street with the engine on, pumping out fumes. It's so antisocial.

Callaird Thu 30-Mar-17 21:09:51

I'm usually running the engine to charge my phone!

WetsTheFinger Thu 30-Mar-17 21:10:20

Cold?
Air con?
Radio?
Charging phone?
Using Bluetooth?

Lots of reasons.

Timefor2 Thu 30-Mar-17 21:11:06

Baby/toddler asleep? Mine would wake the minute the engine got turned off when little

bigkidsdidit Thu 30-Mar-17 21:11:53

Apparently you can be fined £20 for doing it

here

Monkeymarbles Thu 30-Mar-17 21:12:54

Yeah I did it as only way to keep my twins asleep together was engine running. Felt awful about the environment but my sanity prevailed at the time

MissGoggins Thu 30-Mar-17 21:14:42

BagittoGo grin

Lazyafternoon Thu 30-Mar-17 21:21:19

Do you really need the engine running to charge phone, have Bluetooth, air con, heating etc? I thought it was just having key turned in the ignition.

I agree people pumping fumes into the air, especially round schools, for no reason is a real bug bear of mine too. That and not using their bloody indicators. I'd take their licence away for either x

CMamaof4 Thu 30-Mar-17 21:23:59

That's what I thought lazyafternoon, Mine all works on ignition, I don't get why people do it.

OdinsLoveChild Thu 30-Mar-17 21:24:03

Lazyafternoon yes, I do need to have the engine on. If I listen tot he radio without it running then I get a flat battery. Its a known issue with my year and model of car. I have moved my car 5 feet before and completely killed the battery. I have also sat for 20 minutes waiting for children finishing clubs to find a dead battery. I just cant risk it by not starting the engine.

Maybe modern cars are better but mine is dreadful.

malmi Thu 30-Mar-17 21:57:03

For most cars:

>Do you really need the engine running to charge phone

No

>have Bluetooth

No

>air con

Yes

>heating

Yes

>etc

Depends!

Creampastry Thu 30-Mar-17 22:00:41

Isn't it illegal to be stationery for extended periods with your engine on now?

doublesnap Thu 30-Mar-17 22:18:11

They do it because they are inconsiderate and don't give a damn about polluting the air for the normal person in the next car who opens the windows when it is hot.

bunnylove99 Thu 30-Mar-17 22:23:09

Yes. It's illegal to engine idle. People shouldn't do it. It's bad for everyone's health and the environment. Unfortunately some people don't care about that.angry

greenenergy Thu 30-Mar-17 22:42:05

Glad its not just me who gets annoyed about this. I spend hours waiting for kids in the car. I just take some warm stuff to wear. Am interested that you can get prosecuted for it but unfortnately seems not to apply in private car parks.

It really annoys me when bus & coach drivers do this.

For the person who said their car is too old to charge a phone from their battery - ok maybe but most of the people I see doing it are driving huge f* off 4WD modern cars so not really needed. Plus they probably don't need a 4WD car anyway but that's a whole other AIBU.

MrsJamin Thu 30-Mar-17 22:47:13

This absolutely and totally does my nut. The amount of people who sit in idling cars outside schools around drop off and pick up are the worst. Air pollution is literally killing people and they just want to charge phones or listen to the radio. There's absolutely no excuse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now