Talk

Advanced search

To be a bit paranoid about people presuming I'm on benefit?

(13 Posts)
Kalitall Thu 30-Mar-17 20:36:32

I fairly recently went back to work after maternity leave for my second child.

I already worked part time but I've reduced my hours a bit more again.

I'm married and dh earns a fairly good salary, enough that we are not entitled to any benefits at all. No tax credits, no help with childcare nothing. I'm not bothered, I think people should claim what they're entitled to if they need to, it's just that we aren't entitled to anything. Even if I wasn't working we can't get tax credits etc because of dhs income.

We did discuss me not going back to work because with childcare we barely break even, but decided part time was best.

Anyway, since then I've had quite a few people making comments about me getting benefits.

I said something to a colleague about it hardly being worth me working right now (I meant because of.childcare) and she asked if I'd be better off on benefits. I've had a couple of people saying that now I've reduced my hours my tax credits will go up. I've had colleagues telling me I'll get free nursery when the baby is two because low income families do (we can't get the funding).

Whenever anyone says this I have just said that we aren't entitled to any benefits, but a few people have even insisted that I must be. How I obviously get tax credits they mean.

I hear comments in the office about how people who work hard get nothing and those that don't get everything paid for I had no idea that they obviously thought that about me.

I don't know why people are making assumptions about me. I'm not sure I fit the stereotype if there is one, I'm married, in my thirties.

I'm starting to get paranoid that people are making assumptions and judging me. I don't think I've ever given anyone else's financial situation a second thought.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Thu 30-Mar-17 20:39:08

But you don't get any benefits. Very much the opposite, so. They're clearly chatting utter shit.

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Thu 30-Mar-17 20:41:40

Money will always be a tetchy issue.

When I was on ESA I was really quick to tell people I was off sick rather than being willfully unemployed (which would still be none their business).

I don't think anyone really judges people on benefits anyway, it's a C4 mockumentary/Wright Stuff Wank/Daily Mail thing. Not real opinions from proper people.

Kalitall Thu 30-Mar-17 20:42:18

I know, I just don't know why people are thinking this.

I do get a lot of part timer jokes, it's alright for some, stuff like that. Now I guess they're thinking I'm working part time at their expense.

goodpiemissedthechips Thu 30-Mar-17 20:43:35

I have similar, I work from home and DP is a SAHP. Several people have expressed surprise that he doesn't get benefits and that I have a job hmm In our case I suppose a lot of it is down to sexism but you would think people would realise that there is more than one way to live.

I just ignore them OP. What else can you do? Who cares what they think?

Kalitall Thu 30-Mar-17 20:45:07

I know it shouldn't really matter what people think. I wouldn't judge someone if they were claiming benefits.

But I don't think I'd presume someone was just because they worked part time.

DJBaggySmalls Thu 30-Mar-17 20:45:24

You both do the same job, so how can comments about 'hard working people' be about you? You are the equal of the other employees so try not to let silly comments affect you. Its bullying. And its pandering to people who think that working tax credit is a benefit, and people who think everyone one benefits is scum.

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Thu 30-Mar-17 20:45:31

I'm also quick to tell postmen, etc that I work nights when I'm in my pyjamas in the muddle of the afternoon.

They don't ask and I doubt they care.

Maybe it's hard wired into us to look productive and busy?

Babyroobs Thu 30-Mar-17 20:47:55

I had a friend who was absolutely amazed that we got no tax credits for four kids ( she has 4 and gets them). The threshold is quite high but with 2 salaries coming in we are just above it. She kept insisting we must be entitled to them. I think a lot of people just don't understand how they work and think everyone gets them.

mirime Thu 30-Mar-17 20:54:10

I think it's well known that people overestimate how generous the benefits system is. People are amazed we don't get tax credits, we're both well below average wage but we're not entitled and don't particularly need them.

redexpat Thu 30-Mar-17 21:00:51

Half of benefits paid out to people of working age are employed. I think. Feel free to fact check that one.

counterpoint Thu 30-Mar-17 21:01:08

I had this happen when I cared for my mum in my own home for several years. I didn't claim for anything as I had some rentals I was getting an income from. Yet even close friends assumed I must be getting some Council Tax benefits or claiming care allowance etc.

I just cut them off and lectured them on why I don't get benefits, don't need benefits and wish everybody else would leave benefits for those who truly needed them ... as I didn't!

Janey50 Sun 02-Apr-17 18:19:36

This go government has done a good job of making anyone on benefits feel ashamed of the fact. OP it is none of your work colleagues' business if you are or aren't on benefits.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now