Talk

Advanced search

To try to set up a Spanish club at our primary school?

(13 Posts)
TreadSoftly Thu 30-Mar-17 19:22:25

Our primary school offers extra curricular clubs in sport, dance and music at £2 per person for an hour for a class of 20 children. A local languages teacher charges £7 per person for half an hour for a class of 8 children. Some parents won't be able to afford the language classes because they are so much more expensive. Assuming there is sufficient interest, is it unreasonable to suggest that the school run the course for those children whose parents can afford it? Or does that seem unfair?

TreadSoftly Thu 30-Mar-17 19:30:56

Should have said, in our local area, private lessons in swimming, music group and ballet are £6-7 for half an hour but perhaps that isn't the best comparison? What do you think?

Allthebestnamesareused Thu 30-Mar-17 19:31:36

I suspect the school will want it to be more affordable so that it is inclusive. Do you think you could drum up enough friends to make up the 8 without it being a school thing?

TreadSoftly Thu 30-Mar-17 19:50:34

Thanks allthebest, I could potentially get a group together.

Does anyone's kids have language classes or clubs for less?

BeingATwatItsABingThing Thu 30-Mar-17 19:51:57

Seems a little unfair to me.

BrightonBelleCat Thu 30-Mar-17 19:53:49

Dd went to French club it was £5.50 a session (was less than childcare so that's why I went with it!).

TreadSoftly Thu 30-Mar-17 19:57:42

Ideally there would be a way to offer classes for closer to £2.

Eolian Thu 30-Mar-17 19:58:10

Does your primary school not already offer mfl lessons? I'm an mfl teacher and wouldn't be particularly inclined to send my primary age dc to a Spanish club I had to pay for if they were already being taught an mfl at school tbh, especially if they were going to do Spanish at Secondary school, as they all start on a level playing-field when they start Secondary anyway.

TreadSoftly Thu 30-Mar-17 19:58:48

BrightonBelleCat - was that a club at school? 30mins or an hour?

BrightonBelleCat Thu 30-Mar-17 19:59:47

It was at the school run by one of the mums for an hour 3-4.

TreadSoftly Thu 30-Mar-17 20:06:48

Thanks Eolian, they offer French in KS2 but only a weekly video class. Just thought that it would be fun for kids to experience a different language early on (eg in KS1) through songs and games etc and gain confidence trying out new words and expressions.

sonjadog Thu 30-Mar-17 20:36:48

I think it is a nice idea, but who is going to be the teacher at this club? The teacher who can charge 7 pounds an hour for 8 pupils, isn´t going to want to do it for 2 pounds and hour for a larger group...

Eolian Thu 30-Mar-17 22:07:45

It's a nice idea, but the other thing to be wary of is if that Spanish is very very easy to confuse with French, especially if you are a total beginner in both. You will probably find that if they do Spanish in KS1 they will spend all their French lessons in KS2 having to be constantly corrected for coming out with Spanish words instead of French. My local Secondary does both from yr 7 and it's a nightmare! Half the kids haven't a clue which language they are speaking. Shame nobody does German and French any more - much less easy to confuse!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now