Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

9yo DS constantly asking for food

(63 Posts)
Exileinengland1999 Thu 30-Mar-17 17:59:26

My 9 year old DS is constantly asking for food - like ALL the time. He isnt overweight and does a lot of exercise but it's literally every 10 mins.
He's been at home today recovering from a bug and this is what he has had (I haven't done weekly shop yet so actually haven't had much to give him)
2 weetabix & full fat milk
Rye bread toast with butter & marmite

Spaghetti hoops & a whole meal pitta with butter for lunch and a tangerine

Large plate of 3 fish fingers , peas & McCain chunky oven chips for tea plus a bowl of raisins and dried apricots. He also finished his sisters tea.

To me, this seems like a decent amount of food. The rye bread is pretty filling as is the whole meal pitta. Am I not feeding him enough? Am genuinely a bit worried as the asking for food is getting ridiculous - I got annoyed earlier as not sure how to handle it.

Aibu to think this is a normal amount of food? It hasnt been the healthiest day as I need to go shopping but he's asking every day.

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Thu 30-Mar-17 18:02:11

Growth spurt. DS does this. Then grows. Then needs bigger shoes and longer trousers.

Fill 'em up!!

CheWasABitOfAHomophobe Thu 30-Mar-17 18:04:10

If they aren't fat then they're at nearly equilibrium where calories in is slightly less than calories out (as they're growing).

Why are you annoyed?

9 is a prime time for a growth-spurt.

SpitefulMidLifeAnimal Thu 30-Mar-17 18:05:11

Pitta bread is many things. Filling is not one of them.

ohidoliketobebesidethecoast Thu 30-Mar-17 18:05:30

Get a bowl of fruit, and offer a piece of fruit whenever he's hungry (unless within 20 mins of a meal being ready). That worked for my kids :-)

ohidoliketobebesidethecoast Thu 30-Mar-17 18:06:34

...meant to say, if he doesn't feel like fruit, he's not all that hungry, and may be eating coz he's bored?

Tanaqui Thu 30-Mar-17 18:07:13

Try more protein- eggs or cheese with the rye bread, beans rather than spaghetti hoops, fish instead of foshfingers. Protein keeps blood sugar more level and if he is growing he will need it!

ClopySow Thu 30-Mar-17 18:07:32

I don't think it sounds like a huge amount to be honest.

Exileinengland1999 Thu 30-Mar-17 18:11:34

Normally I would have a better variety of food in the house but he does ask constantly. I think I just got irritated today with the constant asking literally as soon as he had eaten.
He doesn't like cheese & didn't have eggs to give him today.

I do wonder if some of it is boredom!

HallowedMimic Thu 30-Mar-17 18:14:51

That doesn't sound like a lot, and my 8 year old is ridiculous with good, eating very little.

All of the meals seem a bit lacking really.

SafeToCross Thu 30-Mar-17 18:15:25

Add two snacks in - full fat yog and berries, flapjack, hard boiled egg, fruit, porridge, smoothie, peanut butter, that sort of thing if you like, or just biscuits, caky things. I think if he's having three (full sized) meals and two snacks and still hungry, or getting overweight, that's the time to limit. But he is going into a big time of growth, so make sure he has access to enough food.

2beesornot2beesthatisthehoney Thu 30-Mar-17 18:15:36

I agree with Tanaqui. Protein is the key to stop hunger pangs and to be honest there isn't much in what you record till later in the day. I would give a protein boost earlier.

HallowedMimic Thu 30-Mar-17 18:15:41

Why don't you give him what you are eating?

Surely you don't eat like that?

ThePiglet59 Thu 30-Mar-17 18:16:33

That doesn't seem like an excessive amount of food for a growing boy.

Wolfiefan Thu 30-Mar-17 18:18:45

I agree with those who say increase the protein.

ChinUpChestOut Thu 30-Mar-17 18:18:52

Growth spurt. Pasta is your friend. You can make up a tupperware's worth of pasta mixed with tuna and peas. Give him a small bowl cold or hot as an in-between snack. My DS's after school snack at that age was a couple of sandwiches, glass of milk or apple juice and an apple or carrot sticks. Then he ate a full dinner. He's 17 now, and 6'2" and I still can't fill him up......

Exileinengland1999 Thu 30-Mar-17 18:18:58

As I have said twice @hallowed, I haven't had much variety of food in the house today. Would you like me to tell you what I have eaten too?

HallowedMimic Thu 30-Mar-17 18:25:52

Knock yourself put OP grin

But don't be surprised that the child is mithering for food when you feed him like that.

headhurtstoomuch Thu 30-Mar-17 18:28:56

As someone with a very active 9 year old boy it doesn't seem like enough food. But then mine eats adult portions and has done for the last year or so.

To be honest even my 6 year old eats more fish fingers than 3 in one sitting and other items on his plate!

HellonHeels Thu 30-Mar-17 18:30:18

I'd be starving very quickly after pitta bread and spaghetti hoops. Where is the fruit and veg and protein?

Exileinengland1999 Thu 30-Mar-17 18:31:14

oh do fuck off @hallowed. I said at the start that I didnt have much food in the house. I was asking for general advice not fucking judgement

Maryhadalittlelambstew Thu 30-Mar-17 18:31:31

Meh, if he's not over weight and is generally active then feed 'em up! It sounds like relatively healthy food and he sounds genuinely hungry if he's eating what he's given and not fussing over wanting something else. That's kind of my rule of thumb, if my kids say they're hungry and happily accept what I offer I know they're hungry and not just bored or wanting a treat or eating for the sake of it.

I have two DS's aged 6 and 8 and they eat tons and often finish off their sisters dinners! The youngest has been known to snaffle fish fingers (only the best birds eye have to offer of course...never asda's own when moneys tight <gulp>) off plates before they even hit the table...but then so have I...

HermioneJeanGranger Thu 30-Mar-17 18:32:34

None of that sounds particularly filling to me, sorry OP!

CatsCantFlyFast Thu 30-Mar-17 18:34:50

My three year old had 2 weetabix and a slice of toast for breakfast, followed by half an apple. She then had a snack of cheese and grapes and half a hot cross bun, lunch of fish fingers and chips and peas and a banana (we were out), and dinner of a huge portion of bolognaise and pasta. So what you've said he is eating doesn't seem that much to me in comparison

RedBugMug Thu 30-Mar-17 18:35:13

it doesn't sound a lot tbh.
at that age my ds had phases where he ate more, much more than me.
we just made sure that meals were balanced. enough protein and loads of veg.

snacks is just fruit or raw veg here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now