Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to keep hand me downs?

(11 Posts)
Selfishmommy Thu 30-Mar-17 17:11:47

A relative has sent me some beautiful hand me downs from her daughter. Barely worn, lovely, and we're a bit skint so they'll come in really handy when my DD is a bit bigger, next year maybe.

She text me to make sure I'd received them, and I thanked her etc. But then she said 'oh and if they're too big pass them on to xx (another relative)'. That would be all of them, to be honest.

Is it wrong to keep them? The other relative is older but pretty much the same size so wouldn't necessarily be in them sooner anyway.

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Thu 30-Mar-17 17:12:53

Sounds like you had first dibs so to speak so just keep them!!

Allthebestnamesareused Thu 30-Mar-17 17:22:18

Just keep them.

ThePiglet59 Thu 30-Mar-17 17:24:23

Keep them.
Once somebody gifts you something it becomes yours to decide what to do with it (IYSWIM).

Snoopysimaginaryfriend Thu 30-Mar-17 17:24:53

It would be a little mean to keep all of them. My DSIL gave me my nieces hand me downs. Most of them came from her side of the family and when DD outgrew them I gave them back to SIL for whoever needed them and I'll be getting stuff back in August for DD2.

MarchEliza Thu 30-Mar-17 17:26:47

I suspect she simply told you this as if you were going to get rid of them, she'd rather they went to x. If you're keen to use them in the future surely she'd be happy about that? Some people are short on storage space to keep lots of things to grow into.

CruCru Thu 30-Mar-17 17:30:21

I often keep hand me downs for six months / a year until they fit my daughter. As long as you have room, it is a reasonable thing to do.

KanyesVest Thu 30-Mar-17 18:16:40

She might have been giving you an out in case there were bits you don't like/want and you could have passed it on without being worried about causing offense.

Selfishmommy Thu 30-Mar-17 19:54:54

I would feel a bit mean but the other relative had the last lot! It's a good point about giving us a way out if we don't like them, maybe that's what she was doing.

Mari50 Thu 30-Mar-17 20:08:22

I give away all my daughters clothes- if the friend I give them to held onto them until they fitted rather than passed them on to someone they fitted now it wouldn't bother me one iota. All that matters is that they are reused and when done with passed in again. So no, YANBU

carefreeeee Thu 30-Mar-17 20:26:52

I think she just meant if you don't want them pass them on to the other rel

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now