Talk

Advanced search

Aibu or is teacher?

(79 Posts)
herdiegirl Thu 30-Mar-17 16:57:35

Ds2 is in year 4. His teacher set a reading challenge and all kids that achieved 30 or more could do den building tomorrow afternoon. The rest will stay in the classroom and do work.
My ds is a good reader and doesn't need much encouragement to read, it was even mentioned by his teacher at a recent parents evening that he's a good reader. Life gets busy and I have ds1 with asd so I sometimes forget to put the entry in his reading record. Earlier this week he had 29 entries in his book, I completed the reading record to show he had done the required 30 entries, but the teacher said he didn't had the book in, in time, so wouldn't get to do the activity tomorrow.
Ds2 came out of school looking close tears and told me what happened.
Tried to quickly talk to his teacher after school, but she couldn't get away fast enough stating she had a meeting to go to, but seemed like she had made her mind up, saying his book wasn't handed in, in time, and that there needed to be a cut off!
Just feel annoyed that he's missing out over something so trivial.

HighwayDragon1 Thu 30-Mar-17 17:02:13

It's not trivial, a line has to be drawn somewhere if he's not handed it in on time then he's missed the deadline.

Sirzy Thu 30-Mar-17 17:03:51

30 reads since when?

Presumably you and him where both aware when it had to be done by?

Supermagicsmile Thu 30-Mar-17 17:04:02

I think the teacher is unreasonable.

Lilly948204 Thu 30-Mar-17 17:05:17

It is difficult, I'm a secondary teacher so very different circumstances but generally you do sort of need to stick to what you say and be consistent with everyone. However as this was an oversight on your part, rather than your child not doing what was needed for the reward I probably would have allowed him to join in.

I only have one night after school where I don't have to rush off to some meeting, training or intervention event so I think she probably was just very busy at that point and maybe didn't think about it logically. If I was you I'd ask her about it again tomorrow morning when she might have time to think about it a bit more sensibly.

Llanali Thu 30-Mar-17 17:05:53

I don't know; I agree there does have to be a cut off somewhere sad

Graphista Thu 30-Mar-17 17:07:37

Yabu

EVERYONE is busy in some way, lots of parents have busy jobs, caring responsibilities, chronic illness of their own to cope with, disability etc

The terms were clear you missed out. Not fair on those who DID meet the terms - who may well also have other life challenges similar to yours - to have their achievements diluted.

herdiegirl Thu 30-Mar-17 17:14:22

I can't remember for definite when it started. In my head, the deadline was the end of term, but was brought forward to Wednesday. My issue I suppose is that it's more to do with how often a parent updates the reading record and not how much he actually reads.
I find it can sometimes get overlooked with so much going on. Also, he's year 4, not older.

Sirzy Thu 30-Mar-17 17:18:15

But updating the reading record takes seconds and is the only way the teacher can keep track of how often they read at home.

Allthebestnamesareused Thu 30-Mar-17 17:20:05

But there was a deadline and your son could have reminded you too especially as presumably he and his friends knew about it.

When he takes an exam and misses a grade by one mark will you be wanting the extra mark because you didn't test him on that subject because you waylaid doing something else?

Follow the guidelines - reap the rewards.

Its like the thread where someone claimed that as they were only 5 minutes late they weren't late! Yes they were late and yes you missed the deadline and therefore don't get the treat.

Graphista Thu 30-Mar-17 17:21:29

But all the other parents will have had the same information on deadline and same expectation on updating reading record. No more has been expected of you and your dc than of others really.

witsender Thu 30-Mar-17 17:26:39

Sadly this is your fault, not the teacher's.

NewPuppyMum Thu 30-Mar-17 17:36:44

The out of order bit is the teacher scurrying away. If she's so sure she's been fair then back it up.

grannytomine Thu 30-Mar-17 17:38:57

I think the teacher is, he has done what he needed to do and should get the reward. If it was me I wouldn't send him in tomorrow but I hate this sort of thing. He is a kid, it wasn't some legal deadline, you explained it was your fault.

Kiroro Thu 30-Mar-17 17:39:29

Meh, tell DS that life isn;t fair and you'll make it up to him and take him to the park to do den building and buy him an icecream

Trifleorbust Thu 30-Mar-17 17:40:45

Unfortunately, you have to explain to your DS that your mistake is what has affected him here, not the teacher's.

m0therofdragons Thu 30-Mar-17 17:42:46

But you've said he had the number he needed so surely that part is irrelevant. He should have handed it in - the teacher can't be chasing 30 kids and if she has to then why should they get a treat? Harsh lesson and I say this as a parent of a dd in year 4 who forgets everything all the time.
Teacher rushing to after school meeting? Well yes that's not exactly unusual. Yesterday all our staff had an emergency safeguarding meeting that everyone had to attend so kids came out and teachers rushed to the staff room.

ArtemisiaGentilleschi Thu 30-Mar-17 17:43:48

Unfortunate, but nothing to do with the school or the teacher.
Apologise to your son.
I don't agree with the idea that kids whose parents sign the thing get rewarded on principle, but if that's the rule..

MiddleClassProblem Thu 30-Mar-17 17:49:56

Just to check, he read 30 books but you didn't sign it off correctly so he can't do the activity?

If so then it's you that made the mistake so I wouldn't blame the teacher. I would maybe do a treat for him for completing it.

SomethingBorrowed Thu 30-Mar-17 17:54:09

YABU OP, sorry

PotteringAlong Thu 30-Mar-17 17:54:13

The challenge said you needed to read 30, and have records for 30.

He had 29.

How is this the teacher's fault?

MaroonPencil Thu 30-Mar-17 17:54:20

My DS is in year 4. He has responsibility for filling in his own reading journal. I look at it sometimes but I would hold him entirely responsible for not filling it in.

arlene123 Thu 30-Mar-17 17:54:27

Presumably this was something which would have been regularly discussed in class, it is something you both had prior knowledge of (including the deadline) and your DC would be aware that the book had to be handed in by then. It is not unreasonable for the teacher to draw a line and set an example, for the children to learn they are responsible for dealing with these things themselves. Maybe you need to have a discussion with your child about how you fully understand their disappointment but in future they need to take responsibility and follow the guidelines and complete the task by the deadline given.

herdiegirl Thu 30-Mar-17 17:57:09

To clarify, ds2 will have read more than 30 times, but some entries have been missed by me by forgetting. There were enough entries put in to qualify, but he didn't hand the book in, on time. So both partly to blame as it should not have been so close to the deadline. Hope that makes sense.
Guess I'm not a fan of rewarding in this way. I will make it up to him in the holidays. He's a good kid, if a little scatty at times!

CMamaof4 Thu 30-Mar-17 17:59:24

I couldn't do that to a kid if I was a teacher, It was your mistake not your child's.k

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now