Talk

Advanced search

To think that sinks in public toilets are for washing hands only

(89 Posts)
BarbaraofSeville Thu 30-Mar-17 15:23:38

Just seen a woman washing her feet in the sink in a public toilet.

AIBU to think this is a bit grim and people should only use them for hand washing.

She didn't appear to have any socks with her and was wearing some fairly grubby looking ballet flats.

Andromache77 Thu 30-Mar-17 15:26:10

I would seriously consider the possibility that she has no other way to keep clean. Homelessness is real, you see.

statetrooperstacey Thu 30-Mar-17 15:27:04

I did this once in a public park when I trod in sheep shit. It was probably an emergency you should have asked her, I would.

babymouse Thu 30-Mar-17 15:28:36

The detritus on someone's feet is probably not as bad as what could be on someone's hands - given it's in a toilet and all wink

DressageNut Thu 30-Mar-17 15:29:14

Oh dear - I've cleaned my teeth in them before putting my brace back in blush

ThymeLord Thu 30-Mar-17 15:29:29

I'm not sure what difference it makes unless you plan to eat your dinner out of the sink? Does the body part that is being washed in the sink make a difference?

BeyondThePage Thu 30-Mar-17 15:30:03

thought it was going to be a moon-cup thread!

TheRealPooTroll Thu 30-Mar-17 15:33:11

If you have a nice bathroom at home then public loo sinks may just be for washing hands. If you don't then I guess washing where you can is better than not washing.

Unicorn81 Thu 30-Mar-17 15:33:22

Perhaps she was preparing for prayer and didnt have anywhere else to wash

Meekonsandwich Thu 30-Mar-17 15:35:57

You realise there are homeless people in the world?!?! Lol!! I'd be fine with anyone washing their face hands feet teeth in a public sink. After all its a public bathroom you don't have to use them. And anyway a LOT worse than that goes on in them.

NoCapes Thu 30-Mar-17 15:39:18

confused what difference does it make?
I've rinsed pooey and sicky clothes in the many a time too <shrugs>
What are you doing in the sink that makes this gross?

mmgirish Thu 30-Mar-17 15:40:14

The country I live in has sign in public loos that ask people not to,wash their feet in the sinks. It's common in places around the world.

Girlincognito1 Thu 30-Mar-17 15:40:44

I thought some religions require their followers to wash themselves before they pray. Or I could have just made that up?!

NeedATrim Thu 30-Mar-17 15:40:45

You're being precious, OP! grin

ThePiglet59 Thu 30-Mar-17 15:43:16

The first time I took my PFB to Anfield to watch the football he needed to go to the lo at half time.
I can still remember the look on his little face as he watched rows of adult men pissing into the sinks.

brasty Thu 30-Mar-17 15:43:34

She will have been washing before prayer

Sirzy Thu 30-Mar-17 15:46:11

I am pretty impressed at the flexibility of someone who can get their feet into a public toilets sink to wash them.

(Spectacularly misses point of thread!)

PickAChew Thu 30-Mar-17 15:46:12

What's the problem? Do you drink from the sink?

Public look sinks tend to be a bit grim, even in better establishments, anyhow. The plugholes are usually one great big glob of slime.

floraeasy Thu 30-Mar-17 15:48:19

Sinks are for washing in.

Which is what she was doing.

As a pp said, she could be homeless for all you know.

It wouldn't stop you using the sink to wash your hands in?

U2HasTheEdge Thu 30-Mar-17 15:50:08

Wouldn't bother me.

Half the people washing their hands don't do it correctly and then they turn off the tap with their hands making them dirty again.

I am not a germaphobe but feet washing from a germs perspective is the least of your worries.

GreenShadow Thu 30-Mar-17 15:50:36

I really don't see the problem. Sorry.
Surely when you wash your hands OP, you don't actually touch the basin itself , just the water. If that's the case, how does it affect you?

U2HasTheEdge Thu 30-Mar-17 15:52:45

Surely when you wash your hands OP, you don't actually touch the basin itself , just the water.

And usually the tap with your nice clean hands.... unless they are non touch taps which there isn't many of in my area.

WanderingTrolley1 Thu 30-Mar-17 15:53:08

Have to admit, if I were to be confronted with such a sight, my stomach would be forced to turn.

Notso Thu 30-Mar-17 15:58:53

I thought it was going to be a moon-cup thread!
Me too grin

I am generally of the opinion that sinks in public toilets are grim anyway although I have once washed my feet in a public sink, when DS3 was sick all over my flip flopped feet.

U2- what are people supposed to turn taps off with if not hands? Feet? Teeth?!

HappyAxolotl Thu 30-Mar-17 15:59:27

It is said that Steve Jobs used to wash his feet in the toilet bowl at work and pad around barefoot. On the occasions he washed at all. Vom!

Yer wan in the toilets is still doing better that that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now