Talk

Advanced search

To take this further

(36 Posts)
anniemac123 Thu 30-Mar-17 12:02:29

Aware probably not best place to post in have also posted in education but here for traffic-
Hi my child is currently in year 2, she has been having some difficulties lately with spelling/reading etc I've discussed it with the class teacher and they suspect dyslexia, as do I, but nothing can be done until she reaches her 7th birthday. A couple of days ago 2 mums approached me (separately) asking if my daughter was ok, I replied with yes why? they said there children had got home from school and explained how the class teacher had ripped my daughters work up in front of the class as she had done it wrong, my daughter proceeded to cry and was apparently told by the teacher to "shut up you baby". I asked my daughter if this was true and she said yes and got very upset, I asked why she hadn't told me and she said she didn't want to get into trouble by the teacher as she new I would go into the school. I went into the school the next day and had a meeting with the safeguarding officer/teacher explained the situation and was told he would look into it. Went to a further meeting later on in the day with the safeguarding teacher and daughters class teacher. Class teacher came across as very confrontational completely denied any wrongdoing and pretty much said the other children were lying, my daughter was called into the meeting and questioned by the teachers, started crying and denied that it had happened. after leaving the meeting my daughter said that it did happen and repeated to me what the teacher had done, she wasn't aware what the other children had reported to their mums and the stories matched, I asked her why she hadn't spoken up in the meeting and she said she was scared she was going to get thrown out of the school. unsure of where to go from here any advice and input would be greatly appreciated smile sorry just to add my daughter is struggling with the work and I feel her self esteem regarding school work is low, she has said on occasions that she is stupid, obviously I have corrected her on this and am really trying to boost her up all the time

TitaniasCloset Thu 30-Mar-17 12:06:56

Omg. The teacher sounds nuts. I think you need to call another meeting with the head, without the aggressive teacher there. She was probably frightened to speak up for herself in front of the teacher.

ShowMePotatoSalad Thu 30-Mar-17 12:08:13

Your poor girl. That is very upsetting.

I would definitely be taking it further. If true (and it sounds like it is) then that is awful.

ItWentInMyEye Thu 30-Mar-17 12:10:47

Poor daughter flowers definitely take it further, arrange to see the head.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Thu 30-Mar-17 12:12:41

Damn right you take it further. A gaggle of adults on to one child in a meeting. I'd be calling that intimidation.
My dd wouldn't be getting thrown out of the school. I'd be removing her myself, but. Not before going to Ofsted and the Press.
That is emotional abuse. The teacher is horrid and should not be in the job.
She's a liability.

user1489179512 Thu 30-Mar-17 12:19:06

Yes, take it further. Make an apppointment with the Head, explaining that your first attempt to deal with this unpleasant situation was unsuccessful because of the pressure your child felt under.

In my experience, most young children do not lie about something like this - and I include the children who told their parents. The teacher's behaviour is indefensible in modern times, and frankly shocking. She needs to be made to answer for it.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Thu 30-Mar-17 12:22:30

The teacher sounds worse than the Trunchbull

anniemac123 Thu 30-Mar-17 12:34:55

Exactly what my daughters call her "MrsTrunchbull", I have tried arranging another meeting this morning but head not available to talk, safeguarding teacher not available to talk and a 5 week wait to discuss issues with the SENCO I will keep trying!! I really didn't want to send her into school today knowing she will be with her all day, however daughter said she was fine and wanted to go see her friends

Joey7t8 Thu 30-Mar-17 12:36:54

Was there not a TA in the class at the time?

Trifleorbust Thu 30-Mar-17 12:40:23

Obviously this sounds awful. I would be interested to hear what the teacher said did happen. If she did say "Shut up, you baby" then this is unprofessional and inappropriate. It isn't abuse. She will probably have retraining in how to communicate with pupils.

Is she not from the UK? That sounds condescending but actually someone coming from a different school system might think this is the normal way to speak to students.

metalmum15 Thu 30-Mar-17 12:41:38

What a vile teacher! I would email the head again and state you are extremely unhappy with these events. Isn't there a board of governors you can also email? Head teachers are never happy when parents start involving the governors.

I hope your daughter is ok. Makes me wonder why some people want to be teachers when they clearly don't like children.

anniemac123 Thu 30-Mar-17 12:55:26

No TA in the class at the time, they only have one for a few lessons a week. The teacher said she had ripped all the pupils first draft up and put them in the bin, however my daughter said it was her third attempt, including the first 2, which were ripped up in front of the class which caused her to get upset. The teacher said she simply told her to there was no need to cry. The other pupils who told there mums were upset on her behalf enough to tell there parents what had happened which makes me feel that it is true. One of the pupils mums was at first reluctant to let me know as her child has had a hard time off the teacher at the beginning of the year and didn't want her "to start" on her child again as she has been ok these last few weeks! I will look into emailing the governors, Thank you for the advice

Lagirafe Thu 30-Mar-17 12:59:17

I would ask for a copy of the schools complaints procedure and an urgent meeting with the head. I would make a written complaint asap and the timeframe for a response will be in the policy.

Dagnabit Thu 30-Mar-17 13:01:12

Absolutely take it further. Your poor dd.

My dd is in year 3 and I would be distraught not even an mn exaggeration if this happened to her. We put our trust in the school and its staff to educate our children and look after their wellbeing during school time. She sounds like a loon, and a dangerous one at that. Good luck, OP.

Trifleorbust Thu 30-Mar-17 13:02:50

I would definitely ask for it to be properly looked into. I would bear in mind that children do sometimes exaggerate language. I've had this myself, where I have given a firm reprimand in a level tone and the students have sworn blind I was shouting and screaming. I know the difference so I know I wasn't, but even when their accounts align you do have to be careful with kids' versions of events.

I hope you get to the bottom of it.

Allthewaves Thu 30-Mar-17 13:02:55

Yr 2 teacher or any teacher should not be ripping up school work.

PuntCuffin Thu 30-Mar-17 13:08:34

Ripping up kid's work in front of them? Even without any of the rest of it, admitting to that is pretty unpleasant in itself.

Where has your DD got the idea of being thrown out of school from? My DS is in Y2 and I don't think it would ever occur to him that a transgression might lead to such drastic action. Has this teacher been telling them that poor work or behaviour will cause expulsion?

2pandasandapig Thu 30-Mar-17 13:17:04

Unfortunately I've had dealings with a very similar sounding teacher at my child's school so sadly I can well believe what the children are saying. I think you need to be your child's advocate here, please do whatever it takes to ensure this doesn't continue. Sadly my child still doesn't trust teachers despite not having been taught by the teacher for nearly two years, don't let this affect your child's education in the long term!

anniemac123 Thu 30-Mar-17 13:22:38

Thank you everyone for your replies,I'm aware that children do sometimes exaggerate language used and went to the meeting with this in mind. Having worked myself in education I would be very upset if a child took my actions and words in a way that wasn't intended however, she didn't seem upset by it or apologetic she just seemed really angry and confrontational. she was actually trying to stare me out over the table in a quit intimidating way, although I'm not that easily intimidated it did make me feel quite uncomfortable. My daughters dad said the same PuntCuffin something must have been said for her to even think that she might get thrown out of the school.

anniemac123 Thu 30-Mar-17 13:32:00

2pandasandapig, sorry to hear you and your child had similar dealings, I will do everything to make sure this gets sorted however I don't have much faith in the school I feel that the teacher will be believed or has been believed over the children

Trifleorbust Thu 30-Mar-17 13:32:12

Fair enough, OP. What reason did she give for tearing up the work?

jellyrolly Thu 30-Mar-17 13:35:56

My son has Aspergers and he also had his worked ripped up in front of the class by an awful HLTA on many occasions. I would describe the situation you have given as bullying by the teacher. The chain of complaint, if you want to take it further, would be Headteacher, Governors, Local Authority and then OFSTED. If I had known it was happening to my son I would have complained. His needs are quite complex but the humiliation he suffered at Infants school has had a profound effect on him and I hope your daughter isn't affected too badly. I would be questioning what else this teacher thinks is acceptable, it's unlikely to be a one off. I'm afraid I found out my son had been subject to other humiliating tactics. SEN issues are often treated as disciplinary issues, unbelievable as it may sound this happens all the time.

anniemac123 Thu 30-Mar-17 13:43:22

she says that she ripped all of the children's first drafts up and put them in the bin and denies ripping anything else up. My daughter says that she ripped all 3 of her attempts up which caused her to cry. I'm thinking if she has ripped up everyone's work then the children wouldn't have thought it was that big of a deal to tell there parents the children didn't mention everyone's though just said it was my daughters.

Trb17 Thu 30-Mar-17 13:43:36

Be sure to put your issues in writing to the school. This is important as a written complaint will go on file and have to be addressed when ofsted inspect. This often means these written complaints are taken more seriously.

LyndaLaHughes Thu 30-Mar-17 13:47:39

Ring again and say you want to speak to someone today or you will be making an official complaint.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now