Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to not want to use a bottle myself?

(7 Posts)
SeaLover Thu 30-Mar-17 08:34:32

My DD is EBF and 10 weeks old, but with work looming and some evenings out coming up (that I am looking forward to!) we are currently practising expressing and giving my DD a bottle. 3 goes it isn't going great so we are trying new teats.
Anyway - yesterday MiL suggested I give her the bottle maybe once a day for her to get used to it and make it so it's not then a problem to other people giving her the bottle.
AIBU to really not want to? I wanted the bottle to be everyone else's 'thing', I'm really enjoying breastfeeding and I don't want to give her a bottle when she is with me and I can feed her myself!
TIA

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Thu 30-Mar-17 08:38:18

I went back to work part time when ds was 10 weeks old. He took a bottle once a day for dh but I didn't myself as he wouldn't take one from me !!
Maybe your mil is after some unsupervised time with dd and this is her subtle hint?

Twatxit Thu 30-Mar-17 08:42:25

It's much easier to drink from a bottle for a baby, no work involved. So I was very clear that the bottle couldn't come from me, just don't let it be an option. That can be mil or dad's thing

SquedgieBeckenheim Thu 30-Mar-17 08:42:31

I never gave DD1 a bottle myself, DH was the only one to do that. He did it so infrequently that by the time I went back to work when she was 10 months she wouldn't take a bottle. She had expressed milk in a cup.
DD2 I intend to do the same, DH will give some bottles, but hopefully more frequently so she doesn't start to refuse it. This time I'll be going back when she's 7 months so not sure a cup will be an option.

CMOTDibbler Thu 30-Mar-17 08:49:53

I never gave ds a bottle myself - he had them from dh or nursery, but if he was with me then it was always direct.

Before I went back to work, I'd hand express 50ml first thing in the morning direct into a bottle, and dh would give it to ds in the evening a few days a week to make sure he'd take it. It didn't replace a feed, but was just practice at having a bottle

SeaLover Thu 30-Mar-17 17:06:19

Perfect - thanks for all your helpful responses!

Birdsgottaf1y Thu 30-Mar-17 17:11:08

My DD found that my GD wouldn't take a bottle from her. My DDs breasts would leak heavily etc.

So the bottle was for when I had her.

Babies behave differently for others, than they do their Mums.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now